Girl Scouts

Reality TV Shows

Turn Women Into 'Mean Girls'

10/14/2011 8:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

1014_girl_scrouts_BN_01
Girl Scouts of the USA is warning its legions ... reality television shows are turning young women into "mean girls."

The Girl Scouts Research Institute conducted a study on reality TV ... and concluded, "teen girls who regularly view reality TV accept and expect a higher level of drama, aggression, and bullying in their own lives, and measure their worth primarily by their physical appearance."

A rep for the Institute also noted that reality TV shows "more frequently portrays girls and women in competition with one another rather than in support or collaboration.  This perpetuates a 'mean-girl' stereotype and normalizes this behavior among girls."

The Girl Scouts did not name any of the shows involved in their study.

But it wasn't all bad news ... the GSRI says 68% of girls surveyed agree reality shows "make me think I can achieve anything in life" and 48% believe they "help me realize there are people out there like me."

The Girl Scouts note, "We don't want girls to avoid reality TV, but want them, along with their parents, to know what they are getting into when they watch it."

So we gotta ask ...

TMZ - ThatThingYourMamaWarnedYouAbout

Blame the parents not the television!

peoplearesilly

I agree. Reality shows are ASSININE to say the least. Sick to death of them. They serve no purpose in this world other than to make people think ridiculous/bad behavior is acceptable in society. I wish they'd go away. Seems they're going more back to sitcoms on television. Maybe the networks are finally getting a clue that most of us are sick of REALITY. By the way, there is not much real about any of those shows and those that take it seriously have more issues than those who produce them.

The PMG

Don't blame the TV just because you're too retarded to be a half-way decent parent.

janet

They should be called non-reality shows. Nothing real about them they a cheap to produce. All staged and produced and scripted.

When you start hearing girls getting pregnant on purpose to try and get on a tv show that's not good.

sweetdee88

its bad for everyone!

TMZ - ThatThingYourMamaWarnedYouAbout

Tom and Jerry, Scooby Doo, Speed Racer, George of the Jungle, The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show, Tom Slick, Gumby, ThunderCats, Popeye, The Great Space Coaster, etc. Need I say more?

alan4116

Yea, Reality TV is bad.. HOW ABOUT PUSHING JUNK FOOD ON THE BACKS OF GIRLS????? Putting girls on corners and in front of stores, so that the CEO of the charter can make over 120,000 a year. The troops are lucky to get $1,000 out of the sale. I USED TO WORK FOR A GIRL SCOUT COUNCIL in california, so I was on the payroll at Girl Scouts, and I can tell you from first hand experience that they DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE GIRLS... a girl is only as good as her sales.. CEO gets a 10% raise every year, yet the number of girls that Girl Scouts serves drops 10% every year.. GIRL SCOUTS IS A SCAM!!!!!!! Its child labor, and taking advantage of volunteers.... some "Girl Scout" leaders may say the organization does some good, but they dont know what goes on behind the scenes.. its BIG MONEY. WHAT A SHAME!

keepingitreal

Also, on these "reality shows" the bad behavior is encouraged and , sadly, the more the better. It can be so obvious and a lot of it even appears to be scripted. It helps increase the ratings. It's all about the money!!!

Rhubino

Speaking of Reality TV, did anyone check out the KK and Mama K pics below? KK's sticking her azz out (didn't she complain recently about paps taking too many azz shots) now worse than ever - like an animal in heat. Revolting.

sammi

I'm not going to expose the upcoming season of a New Reality Show to hit the Air Waves soon. And I will say it will be quite interesting to say the least. But most reality shows are temporary and only give you that 15 Min's of fame. My Daughter was in the Makes of signing contracts with a major player, when she looked at the reality of the whole picture and realized this was not for her. Her decision to keep her life un-exposed coupled with the mere fact that this was not a ticket to fame. And the money that was being negotiated was not that great. For the most part she said it was disconcerting to her that the reality and all aspects of this upcoming reality show was not forthcoming.

Austin

There are positives and negatives on reality television, especially for women. Often being portrayed in a poor light women are deemed as stupid, whores, or "mean girls". But, if they try to go out of those stereotypes and stand up for themselves they are shot down. So who wins??

Simone

I'm in Girl Scouts and I feel reality tv. doesnt make girls into mean girls. Reality tv is just a way for people to blame their bad parenting on someone else. I feel that without reality tv. people would still act the way they do. Every person can make a decision and they are responsible for it. Others can't blame reality tv for their personality.

Ace

I had a girl scout put me in a head loc*****il I bought some Samoas Cookies. I'm still scared of my niece and cookies.

If sense were common everyone would have it.

Girls look at that basic cable crap & think it's cool. But what do you expect from the generations who keep their nose buried in their phones & think that's reality?

Bruno

Television puts that cr*p out there and makes the behavior look normal. It's not, people. Turn the TV's off, talk to your kids and let them know what is and isn't acceptable.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments