Former 'SNL' Writer

Dies in Suspected Suicide

12/27/2011 6:24 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Joe BodolaiFormer "Saturday Night Live" staff writer Joe Bodolai -- who co-wrote the first draft of the movie "Wayne's World" -- has died ... and cops believe the death was a suicide.

TMZ has learned ... Bodolai's body was discovered yesterday by a cleaning crew at an L.A. hotel.

Law enforcement sources tell us ... Bodolai -- who also co-wrote several "Wayne's World" sketches for SNL (below) -- had been staying at the hotel for more than a week.

We're told cops recovered a bottle of antifreeze and Gatorade in the hotel room ... and it's likely his death was due to consumption of the toxic chemical.

Bodolai had posted what appears to be a suicide note on his blog on December 23 titled, "If This Was Your Last Day Alive What Would You Do?"

In the note, Bodolai writes about "Stuff I Would Like to Have Seen In My Life" -- including the Browns winning the Super Bowl and the "truth" about the JFK murder.

He also lists "Things I Regret" ... which begins with, "My inability to conquer my alcoholism" followed by, "The things I did because of it."

Bodolai also lists, "Things I Am Proud Of" -- listing family members, his time as an "SNL" staff writer and "writing the first draft of Wayne’s World with Mike Myers."

Bodolai concludes, "May you all have the happy lives you deserve. Thank you all for being in my life."

He was 63.

craig

its a shame,does anyone no how bad his drinkin was to do this,i had opiate addiction with alcoholism and loved every day of it,i wasnt depressed until i quit 2 years ago to make the people around me happy

Jackie

That's sad. rip Joe!

Phreaky

Wow that's so sad. RIP

Jane

How sad! He should of watched "Its a Wonderful Life". He might of gotten a new perspective. Truly sad. My heart goes out to his family and friends.

Ghost Rider

Quitting Alcohol is no joke, and if he could have quit, his jokes probably wouldnt of been as funny.

Tyler

He probably couldn't stand how bad SNL is....

w

you are right Jack #3

MasonsMom

You forgot to add he was also a Producer for The Kids In The Hall

Spinnaker

Well he did help the gene pool, for that thanks.

Kaffee

So sad. It was his choice. Still, so sad.

nof

Marilyn Suzanne Miller, a beloved former film school professor and former SNL head writer?

... fought breast cancer - and hard - recovered from it - and fights on/moves on.

May this be more about her - about MSM.

-than about suicide/alcohol.

nof

I've battled back from every potential demon -

And to win.

So could have Joe -

"The Only Way Out Is Thru."

edked

Kind of ugly to use the death of someone you never met to push some personal political hobby horse, or plug whichever recovery cult you belong to as being the "only way."

Billy

I'd off myself too if I had anything to do with Wayne's World. That show sucked.

Cool Breeze

NOOOO!!!He doesn't look like a guy that would kill himself...

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments