Former 'SNL' Writer

Dies in Suspected Suicide

12/27/2011 6:24 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Joe BodolaiFormer "Saturday Night Live" staff writer Joe Bodolai -- who co-wrote the first draft of the movie "Wayne's World" -- has died ... and cops believe the death was a suicide.

TMZ has learned ... Bodolai's body was discovered yesterday by a cleaning crew at an L.A. hotel.

Law enforcement sources tell us ... Bodolai -- who also co-wrote several "Wayne's World" sketches for SNL (below) -- had been staying at the hotel for more than a week.

We're told cops recovered a bottle of antifreeze and Gatorade in the hotel room ... and it's likely his death was due to consumption of the toxic chemical.

Bodolai had posted what appears to be a suicide note on his blog on December 23 titled, "If This Was Your Last Day Alive What Would You Do?"

In the note, Bodolai writes about "Stuff I Would Like to Have Seen In My Life" -- including the Browns winning the Super Bowl and the "truth" about the JFK murder.

He also lists "Things I Regret" ... which begins with, "My inability to conquer my alcoholism" followed by, "The things I did because of it."

Bodolai also lists, "Things I Am Proud Of" -- listing family members, his time as an "SNL" staff writer and "writing the first draft of Wayne’s World with Mike Myers."

Bodolai concludes, "May you all have the happy lives you deserve. Thank you all for being in my life."

He was 63.

Elizabeth

I am an alcoholic in recovery less than one year...I am sad but get the
part of his note about the pain we have caused other people.We often feel we can't be forgiven...ever

Bill Leslie

Wayne's World? I'm surprised he made it this far since he should have eaten a bullet right after that huge turd was dropped into theaters.

DON WOLF

PEople say i'm the life of the party because i have a drink or two but im not that depressed to drink frigging antifreeze - most suicides are result of the demon mind telling your soul - your life is not worth living - so what you have to realize WHO REALLY CARES - N find within yourself the candle light that glimmers - never snuff it out - hey ASK YOUR GUARDIAN ANGEL FOR HELP - WORKS FOR ME EH - I GREW UP IN CANADA - IM A CANUCKLEHEAD NOW TEX CANUCK - 30 YEARS - NOW THATS FUNNY - LOL - SAD IS DIEING ALONE - SORRY JOE YOU HAD TO GO - DON WOLFPOET-

Emily

I met Joe very randomly this Halloween at a bar in Hollywood and he was a hilarious, friendly person. I'm genuinely sad at hearing of his unfortunate passing.

E

Seems odd to me -- death by antifreeze is a horrible, painful, drawn-out process (have heard from people who have survived poisoning by antifreeze) that I wouldn't expect people to choose for themselves -- I certainly wouldn't.

Also, also, every one of those poisoners had used Gatorade to hide the antifreeze (which, again, per the survivors of antifreeze poisoning, surprisingly has a pleasant flavor) -- so if I was going to kill myself I could just drink the stuff; I wouldn't have to disguise it with Gatorade.

I kinda wonder about this -- I'd be more comfortable once it's been at least five years and there hasn't been anyone with a life insurance policy on him.

The Real JJ

Some warning signs were right there on his blog and no one did anything so it must have been his normal behavior. Antifreeze and Gatorade is a slow painful death. That's SAD..... R.I.P

urbusted

Sad...RIP.

solvent

How deeply can you let go?

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3