Beyonce on Etta James

'This is a Huge Loss'

1/20/2012 12:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0120_beyonce_etta_BN-01
Beyonce Knowles
-- who played Etta James in "Cadillac Records" -- has released a statement on the singer's death ... praising James as "one of the greatest vocalists of our time."

James infamously slammed Beyonce in 2009 after Knowles sang "At Last" at Obama's inauguration .. when Etta said, "That woman he had singing for him, singing my song ... she's going to get her ass whipped."

But Beyonce was gracious ... adding in today's statement, "I am so fortunate to have met such a queen. Her musical contributions will last a lifetime."

She continued, "Playing Etta James taught me so much about myself, and singing her music inspired me to be a stronger artist.  When she effortlessly opened her mouth, you could hear her pain and triumph. Her deeply emotional way of delivering a song told her story with no filter. She was fearless, and had guts. She will be missed."

Moonbeam

I can understand Etta James' disappointment at not being invited to sing at President Obama's inaugural ball, but I think I read that she had Alzheimers at that point and perhaps would not have been up to the task. That would also explain some of the angry comments she made, such as, "He's not my President," and bad-mouthing Beyonce. Also, it was a youngish event and Beyonce had just started in the movie. Although, over the years Etta may have been under-compensated and had a legitimate complaint about that, I don't know.

SusanCoyote

"I can't stand Beyonce! She's going to get her ass whooped," Etta screamed (via) at an event celebrating her career. The chanteuse went on to slam Barack Obama for selecting Ms. Knowles to do the honors. "You know your president, the one with the big ears -- he ain't my president -- he had that woman singing for him at his Inauguration. How dare Beyonce sing my song that I been singing forever!"

Etta James

Truth

@moonbeam
OBAMA'S CREW WAS ASKED WHY ETTA JAMES DINT SING AT THE INAUGURATION... THE PR PERSON MADE A GENIUS REMARK, "HONESTLY WE THOUGHT MS JAMES HAD DIED A WHILE AGO..." GEE, EVEN A 10 YR OLD CAN LOOK UP WIKI AND SEE ETTA WAS ALIVE 4 YRS AGO. SMFH. #TRUTH!!

Cheryl A.

Beyonce is neither a good singer or a legend. Miss Etta had every right to be P.O'd at Beyoncce.

Truth

OMG... BEYAAAWNCE SUCKS SINGING "AT LAST"!!!! GO LISTEN TO ETTA JAMES IN HER 70'S. SHE STILL SOUNDS BETTER THAN BEYAAWWNCE. #TRUTH!!

Star Whacker

Damn! Why couldn't it have been Heather Lockyer. Well, if it's true that celebrities die in threes, then there's still hope! Once it's done, then we can all say, "At last!"

MISERABLE66

I thought beyonce was black.

Roxy

I am so sad Etta James passed, she was so talented and she will be missed. Beyonce did an excellent job portraying Etta in Cadillac Records, it made me sad how Etta had it so rough. Im so glad her family was by her side when Etta passed, God bless her and her family.

small asian penis

Beyonce is already profiting off Etta's death.

OhEmJEE

Isn't it funny that Bey was more graceful in her response than that one hit b/tch that critiqued Bey for singing her ONE song?

loungecat

Etta HATED Beyonce... hey Beyonce, money can't buy you class.

SusanCoyote

Hey! Who is that hillbilly?????????????????

Laker

Beyonce, if you're gonna try so hard to always look like a white chick then stop trying to pretend to be a black role model

Grandma

Beyonce is the famewhore of the century!! Just had to get her time in even though Ms James wanted to drop her on her ass for dissing her music for so long. Etta could not stand beyonce and her type because etta james now there was a real woman with real talent. RIP

She's baaaack

Comment#28 OhEmJEE : One hit? Dear, Wiki is up again, You Tube is working fine, I suggest you do a few searches about Miss Etta the "one hit wonder" as you call her. You have humiliated yourself with your stupidity.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments