Al Shearer

Say it Loud ... I'm BLACK!

Not African-American

2/8/2012 2:30 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

020812_shearer_launch
"Glory Road" actor Al Shearer wants to be called Black instead of African-American -- and a heated newsroom debate reveals almost everyone's got issues with labels. God, PC is exhausting!

Eddie

Thank, you Brother Al, for speaking common sense. And btw, I'm white, not CAUCASIAN.

clarkins

I am with him 100%, I am an American that happens to be Black. I am not African, have never been to Africa.. and don't plan to go to Africa.. so STOP CALLING ME AN AFRICAN.. I am an AMERICAN. PERIOD

parlayer

"One" Word describes you!! it's one of these, Black, N., or African American

myopinion

I totally agree!!!!I am Black...not African American.

hotbitch

I couldn't agree with him more!!!! I cannot stand that stupid made-up term. It's not even a race! Nowhere else on the planet do so-called "African Americans" exist. I am black and from California. No black person can even name anyone who came from Africa. I find the term to be extremely divisive and insulting. You'll notice white people aren't called European Americans. There's a reason for that. We don't need any damn hyphens. This is my country, too. Thanks Al!

Eddie

My girlfriend has 100% Mexican ancestry. She DISLIKES being called Mexican-American. The way SHE sees it, she is not Mexican, has no 'allegiance' (her word) to Mexico, and does not identify as Mexican. But what she _really_ can't stand being called 'Mexican' -- without the 'American' qualifier. She prefers to be called, in this order: AMERICAN, or Hispanic. She is not a Latina or Chicana, either -- in her opinion -- any more than I am Caucasian or Anglo. Bravo to Alan Shearer for speaking his mind.

myopinion

Hey!!!Say it loud, I'm Black and I'm Proud!!!!

Superman

"African American" is just stupid PC BS. I always say black. If you don't like it, tough.

Ola

Correction Van(hope that's your name) Akátá is a word derived from the Yoruba people of West Africa and it simply means 'Fox'. It is thought to be widely used loosely by some African immigrants to the United States to describe African Americans and their descendants, and over time it has come to have derogatory connotations due to perceived tensions between some African immigrants and African Americans. Don't believe me? :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akata

Joseph Diehl

Good for your sir. No more of this pc garbage

karlew

I agree with him but I just know there are other black folk who want to be called African American. Labels can be so confusing.

tellmeaboutit

Good for him.

firebaby

i agree---when i was 8 years old living in new york, i asked my teacher what would i be called then, having west indian parents and being born in canada... certainly not "african-american"... although a few weeks ago i actually read (on someone's court docs no less) the term "african-canadian".... like, seriously?

i am black, always was, always will be, thank you very much....

Vincent

To the TMZ tall millitant - ALWAYS live in the back row ... I'm white and born & from Cameroon. AM I then an 'african-american'. 4 TallBoyeee - WHERE in Africa EXACTLY are YOU from - Bro? Git RID of Ur Black Power shtick.

Cognizant _illiberal

your name is TOBY!!! you are what you are it does not matter what you want to be called

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments