'Berenstain Bears' Creator

Dead at 88

2/27/2012 8:55 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Jan Berenstain died Friday at 88-years-old after suffering a stroke
Children's book legend Jan Berenstain -- who co-created the Berenstain Bears -- died Friday at 88-years-old after suffering a stroke ... this according to her family.

Jan and her husband Stan Berenstain created the Bear family -- Mama Bear, Papa Bear, Brother Bear and Sister Bear -- back in 1962 ... when they published their first book, "The Big Honey Hunt."

Since then, they fired out more than 300 stories.

According to Jan's son, Jan suffered a severe stroke on Thursday and died the following day.

Stan died back in 2005 at the age of 82.

They are survived by their sons and four grandchildren.

Phreaky

So sad - my daughter's favorite books when she was little. Read them to her so much her and I both had them memorized. RIP and thank you Berenstain family for the memories.

the real diva

she lived a long life. so sad. msy she rest in peace.

CJ

Slow news day?

RaffyBStatenIsland

Awful news! Me and my parents all grew up on their books. If I ever have kids, so will they.

RaffyBStatenIsland

Here's a more detailed story on her, from Comunitee.com. http://www.comunitee.com/comunitee/showComuniteeBarArticle.do?articleId=2876524&keywordId=46269&topCategoryId=5

the artist formerly known as hand turkey

Aw. Rest in peace, dear lady.

I have a copy of Bears in the Night from when I was little, it's all beat up and I drew pictures on the blank pages. I still love it.

TiffC

It's about time.

Seldombinlaid

R.I.P. Jan. God Bless you, and your family at this time. You left behind something for us to remember you by:)

gutsygirl

As a former teacher I can attest to the joy the Berenstain Bears brought to my students. There was always a moral to the story that we discussed afterwards. Their favorite was The Spooky Old Tree storybook and audio tape; always a Halloween favorite. She has left this world a better place.

Cujeaux

She kinda looks like a Berenstain Bear herself.

Arcadia Rink

R.I.P. Jan Berenstain

JiLL1

Love the Bernstein Bears. So cute that Mr & Mrs Bernstein's names rhyme --Jan and Stan. Mrs Bernstein had a nice , long life

Polly

I think we all read one of the Berenstain Bear books at one time or another. Thank you, Jan.

javier

i grew up reading her books in elementry and part of middle school

Sarafina

Sad news, my kids loved their books (and PBS show) when they were younger. I enjoyed the good lessons and values in their messages. R.I.P. Mrs. Berenstain.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments