'Berenstain Bears' Creator

Dead at 88

2/27/2012 8:55 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Jan Berenstain died Friday at 88-years-old after suffering a stroke
Children's book legend Jan Berenstain -- who co-created the Berenstain Bears -- died Friday at 88-years-old after suffering a stroke ... this according to her family.

Jan and her husband Stan Berenstain created the Bear family -- Mama Bear, Papa Bear, Brother Bear and Sister Bear -- back in 1962 ... when they published their first book, "The Big Honey Hunt."

Since then, they fired out more than 300 stories.

According to Jan's son, Jan suffered a severe stroke on Thursday and died the following day.

Stan died back in 2005 at the age of 82.

They are survived by their sons and four grandchildren.

melissa b

I loved those books as a kid. At least she lived a long life and has left a legacy behind. RIP and condolences to her family.

melissa b

Loved those books as a kid. At least she lived a long life and has left a legacy. RIP and condolences to her family and friends.

Joe

We have several of the books. The last one my son asked to read last week was Home Sweet Tree.

NightOwl

RIP. I loved those books; the Bears were one of the first books I liked to read by myself. She contributed to my love of books, when I have children I hope they will learn to love to read those books as much as I did.

Kelly

Holy shizzay; 300 stories! The estate must be worth many millions!!

JC30

I highly recommend Stan and Jan's biography, "Down a Sunny, Dirt Road". There's was not only a classic story of success, but one of love as well. Rest in peace, and thank you for all of the happiness you brought to children.

Roxy

That is one of my favorite cartoons, i can watch those all day, so sorry the creator passed.

michelle

Awwwwww, condolences to her family. Now that's one lady who did her family proud. Thanks for all the wonderful books you've created. I will treasure them in a whole new way with my children.

Best Mom

Bernstain books were the best! I saved all of my son's Berenstain books - looking forward to passing them on to my grandchildren someday! Thank you, Berenstains, for giving children wholesome books that always had a kind, positive message.

alliexpants

those were my favorite books/show as a kid.She lived a good life and I hope she rests in peace

tippy katz

SAD. but I have to say I never like the illustrations. Sorry, have to say it. always hated those bears!

Thetruth

Was she a Jew?

Amber

I loved the Berenstain Bears growing up!!! RIP and thank you for the wonderful memories!

Tiffany

R.I.P Jan,You can now see Stan again...

Luz

And that is so sad!! Berenstein Bears is a wonderful children's series! Thank you, Jan, for your wonderful insights. RIP

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments