Rapper Rick Ross

Wins His Name in Court

3/29/2012 10:58 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0329-rick-ross-ex-01
Rapper Rick Ross can keep his name, thanks to an L.A. County Superior Court judge who shut down a bid from former drug dealer "Freeway" Rick Ross who tried to hoard the name.

"Freeway" Rick Ross had filed suit against the rapper, claiming ownership of the name.  In fact, the rapper has strongly intimated in his songs his name was inspired by the drug dude.

In the song "Hustlin" for example, Ross makes several references to large-scale drug dealing -- despite what Freeway says ... the rapper never dealt drugs in his life.

But the judge today ruled "Freeway" Rick has no case, and threw the lawsuit out.

update_bar

4:50 PM PDT -- "Freeway" Rick Ross tells TMZ he's pretty bummed out about the judge's decision ... saying, "I got hit in the stomach today ... I feel s**tty."

Ross adds ... "[Rick] had nine high profile attorneys and I had three volunteer non-high profile attorneys. I had no money to get the big name lawyers so I couldn’t go in there with a monster team like him."

He concludes, "The world knows the truth ... that [Rick] stole my identity and shame on him that he won’t give it back. I hope to appeal this because you shouldn’t be allowed to steal someone’s identity and get away with it."

JANDEAN61

brian jonestown massacre

Nicole

Ugh
He gets to keep up that charade even although he is a former c.o which requires no criminal record.
Pathetic.

Free Remy

Rhubino

If I cared, my brain would hurt.

Justin

Rozay uses the term "Freeway Ricky" and things like that in just about every damn song..... cant even give the man who gave you the name to use some cred? Good riddance to you Office Ross.

TMZISAPIECEOFSHIT

Keep the name, lose the big man boobies!

Ajalyn

This big fat grizzly bear has made a fortune using this man's name and referencing him in his music which only proves he's a FAKE and a FRAUD.

Vanessa

Rozay that'S my nickname...ahahahah love it

THIN LIZZY

Fat Boy's a fake. He's lucky Freeway Rick is a changed man or he would've taken a dirtnap a long time ago. F'n cop trying to play gangster. A lot of black people just lost thier damn minds.

Danny

I dont know whats more sad a Drug dealer suing for his name. Or a Rapper and suppose role model taking his name after a Drug Dealer.....

SHAKKA

"Freeway" should start rapping...and use the judge's name...i'm sure the judge won't have a problem with that...

_][ Character_Assassin ][_

Studio gangsta wins again... with no experience... lol.

Sin

Lame rapper anyway

lildachips

ROZAYY '-'

Brandon

Do all people break the law get caught??? Uh no dummies! Two, William Roberts was 19 at the time he CO'd. That man could have delt drugs at anytime of his life before during or after he was CO. I don't care if he did or not, but sh*t that CO argument up!

derp

Fake Ross would not pull this ish back in the day. Freeway would get him clipped in no time

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments