Oprah Winfrey

OWN Was a MISTAKE

4/2/2012 11:50 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0_f61oxajz_0_oxgprp9m(1)
Oprah Winfrey rues the day she ever launched the Oprah Winfrey Network -- claiming the entire operation was one giant mistake ... doomed from the get go.

The Big O appeared today on "CBS This Morning," confessing she might not have created OWN if she could do it all over again -- "The idea of creating a network was something that I wanted to do. Had I known that it was this difficult, I might have done something else."

She added, "If I knew then what I know now, I might have made different choices. If I were writing a book about it, I could call the book '101 Mistakes.'"

As we previously reported, OWN has been struggling BAD -- chopping a large chunk of network employees last month ... right after it was forced to cancel Rosie O'Donnell's show.

Sherry Schriber

Here is the biggest problem...you have to pay extra for cable to actually get the network. I'm guessing that she doesn't NEED the money since she is a gazillionaire! If it were on basic cable maybe...pay more to get it...NO WAY!!

Seldombinlaid

Oprah, you've worked hard for your money, and have been very successful. Now, how are you going to book a bunch of yous? Keep your hard earned money, and retire, unless you see something coming.

Throwback kid

Oprah can turn this around tomorrow, all she has to do is turn it into an eating channel. Every day Oprah could eat burgers from different restaurants and tell us her favorite. It would be informative and funny to watch Oprah consume enormous amounts of food (something O does everyday anyway) Maybe one show could be only about pies, we can watch O scarf down a couple of pies and tell us her favorite. Maybe just for fun Oprah could enter the Nathann's 4th of July hot dog eating contest? Her friend Gayle could do the play by play for that show while we watch Oprah stuff her fat face. They could change the name of the network from Own to O-eats

Tesla_Consulting

No wonder you Yankees keep worrying about the End of the world.

Uh

Oprah was always a sucker for a "motivational speaker". Dr Phil, Dr Oz, the phony author, etc. Nutcase city. Seems appropriate that she fell for another one.

MP

I agree with the first poster. Oprah's channel is in another tier on my cable package and there's no way I'm paying one more dime for more channels, most of which I won't watch. Oprah should have considered that before embarking on her endeavor.

Sands

Part of the problem is so many reruns after reruns after reruns. Example: Dr. Phil is being shown over and over again and again! It is annoying! The format is all over the place! The commercial breaks make you just want to scream! Sometimes it is better to stay with something you know, i.e. Opra/s interviews on the Opra show. Bring back the Opra show! Interviewing is what she does and knows best. Get rid of OWN - it doesn't work!!! Get rid of her girlfriend, i.e. Gail ? show it too is a disaster!!! Half the time I can't tell if she is purposely whispering or she just has a continuous cold?

OBAMA CLAUS

Okay looky here , when ABC cancelled the OWS after being a top rated show for years--right after 'THE ONE" was put in the White House and Oprah's core audience fled en-masse soon there- after when the country knew we had just been HAD by the media spin and a delusional left wing , liberal freaked out AMerica ?

She in her 'LIGHTBULB' moment decides now is the time to branch out ? When ABC just dumped HER ? HUH ? Oprah you were the MIDAs of TV , everything you touched turned to ratings gold! Wha Hoppened Baby ?

Regina

Ya think???

Matt

Wow, you failed at something Oprah. Welcome to my world

Suzze

I watched the interview this morning and the description of the interview posted on your website is an inaccurate/distorted portrayal of what actually occurred.

OBAMA CLAUS

In Oprah's case her Brand has been damaged by outside forces beyond even MissO's power. Guess that is what i am babbling about. It's not totally her fault; but i live in the ghetto so don't feel that sorry for her.

Susan62509

Where Oprah went wrong with OWN: She assumed her viewers would follow her to OWN and didn't understand that many people did not want to PAY to watch her especially during a recession.

ju

DOPRAH WHEN YOU LEFT THE OTHER SHOW PEOPLE WERE HAPPY THEN YOU CAME BACK PEOPLE DONT WANT TO SEE YOU ANYMORE

Joao

Not that you would have listened, but I could have told you your narcissistic, anti-men channel was going to be disastrous... the programming personalities were D-List as best and it was the SOS on the other anti-men, women's channels... Dah, cable needed ANOTHER women's channel. Your name wasn't going to carry mediocre.