« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

U.S. Marines

Props to WWE for

Firing Randy Orton

4/4/2012 5:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

Randy Orton
WWE honcho Vince McMahon is a HERO for booting Randy Orton out of the upcoming "Marine" movie ... this according to the guys who served in the military unit abandoned by WWE superstar back in 1999.

TMZ spoke with Cpl. Mike Vinn ... who tells us, "On behalf of all the Marines from Aco 1/4 98-02, that were outraged to hear about Randy Orton portraying a Marine in the next movie "Marine: Homefront", I'd like to thank the WWE for pulling Orton from the role when they heard about his disloyal service to the United States Marine Corps."

Vinn adds, "It shows respect for not only the unit I had served in, but for every person that has ever defended this nation.  Thank you WWE."

TMZ broke the story ... WWE officials made the decision to pull Orton from the flick when they discovered the wrestler had received a bad conduct discharge from the Marines in 1999 after going AWOL on 2 separate occasions.

1208_wrasslin_footer

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

My Big Salami

CM Punk the best in the world!

Evan Meadow

WWE has known about Orton's military record and the fact he went AWOL from the Marines for years. Check the first DVD's they did that spotlighted him. Orton talked about on them back them.

They changed their mind obviously because the guys he served with for as long as he was there are still pissed off about and obviously would raise a stink. Course I'm not sure how long until it gets to the point that they should just move on. Then again, we have Vietnam vets who will never forget Hanoi Jane so I don't know.

Suffice it to say, this was not something WWE only recently found out about.

Majestik

And yet again.....on the perspective of a Canadian, you AMERICAN MILITARY are full of yourselves.
Before you rip me a new one. I appreciate you, I appreciate what you do, what you sacrifice what you are striving for, just like my Canadian military is doing. BUT...WHEN THE **** are you going to let a past mistake go? Seriously. Randy has made his past in the Marines VERY PUBLIC, he's spoken out about how stupid he was, how he dishonored his brothers and sisters and he was YOUNG AND STUPID. But you "MILITARY" can't let it go, I've seen posters on here, claiming to be members of the marines, the army, the air force and talking down to the rest of us like we are NOTHING. GUESS WHAT, we didn't ASK YOU to take up your profession, we didn't ask you to get sent overseas to Iraq, Iran, AFGHANISTAN, we didn't ask you to FIGHT for our freedoms, YOU CHOSE it. Then I have to read posters on here, claiming to be part and parcel of this fight and telling me to STFU, I know nothing, STFU I have no voice, STFU I shouldn't be judging you because of the life you chose, really?
So when we lose a military brother or sister. Since I should STFU, I don't know, nor can ever understand what you do, what you choose or understand what you are going through. Should I just go about my daily life, should I complain when my government shuts the city down for a day, drops the flag to half mass because I was never, nor would I EVER get involved in war?
I love, and I appreciate all peoples, from all walks for life that decide to go into the military, be it the army, the air force, the Navy, the Marines. ANY OF YOU. I love you, I appreciate you, but if you think you can come on a site like this and DEMAND respect, DEMAND that I recognize that you are sacrificing more than everyone else, really, In the IMMORTAL WORDS of Kevin Costner in the GReatest movie ever, "FIELD OF DREAMS" After he's done all he's asked, travelled all over he says "WHAT"S IN IT FOR ME!" Shoeless Joe looks at him and says "Ray, is that what you think this is about, what's in it for YOU?".
I've lost more respect for the military reading a lot of the posts on this site and all my family was part of World War II. If you are looking for praise from the rest of us, looking to demand respect from the rest of us because you are MILITARY, if you are looking to demand that you are better than the rest of us because you leave your husbands or wives for a year, maybe more at a time and we should bow down to you...UM WHY?
Again, Randy Orton has NEVER hidden his past, he's ALWAYS let the world know, he was a ****, a useless **** when it came to serving his country. He was YOUNG, he was STUPID, and seriously, if he had the chance to do it all over again, he wouldn't mess up this way. SInce then, he's been a VERY heavy supporter of the troops. Those TROOPS NEVER had a problem with Randy backing them up, or when they are in OTHER countries and WWE shows up, with him as the MAIN EVENT, NONE of those MILITARY boo him out of the area, refuse to have pictures with him, stop talking to him.
Hypocrites much!!!

Puffin

Agree with Evan. He talked about it on his dvd (forgot the title, pretty sure it was released last year). His past has been put out there, a lot of people know about it. He did mention regretting what he did, then again i was surprised when he was chosen to take the leading role, surely he would've known there would be some sort of backlash over it.

tgrfan42069

lol so the marines are cool with cena and ted jr who were never marines period playing the part of a marine.the marines are full of ego maniacs anyway.go army

bunny

TMZ, you have no idea how long the military has despised Randy Orton and wanted him to conveniently disappear like he did with them. This is like a dream come true for them.

However, the WWE was aware of what Randy Orton did when they hired him. They are playing dumb because somebody who knew, said something.

toshw19

It is absolutely unfair that Randy Orton was pulled from this movie. When Randy went AWOL, his unit was still going through training. Cpl. Mike Vinn is making it seem as if they were in the middle of a battlefield fighting for their lives when Randy decided to go AWOL. Cpl. Mike Vinn needs to learn how to let the past go, especially a past that most likely did not change how his life turned out.

As for the WWE officials and Vince McMahon, shame on you all for lying and not standing by your employee. Not only did you throw Randy Orton under the bus but you ran him over with it, backed it up and ran him over again.

The Observer

Yet another watering down of the word, "hero." Vince McMahon is NO HERO.

TnGirl

WAIT A MINUTE!! WWE knew about the AWOL....it's been common knowledge amongst wrestling fans ever since Orton started with the WWE....I guess WWE thought their fans have short attentions spans. Shame on them!

Denise

First off, it's not like the WWE just barely realized what Randy Orton did. They knew about it and by them casting him in them movies shows that they didn't care. Only reason they pulled him from the movie was because someone had a problem with it. The WWE is all about making money off they're top wrestlers. So lets not Praise the WWE simply cause they pulled Randy from the movie. They've known about what Randy did for years!

DC

They've known this for years, even did a story on it themselves which I'm sure you could find on Youtube, WWE is just got a bunch of idiots who thought it'd be missed.

Andrew Davis

While I am not defending Randy Orton in anyway, this story has the facts wrong. Randy & the WWE have NEVER hidden the fact that Randy went AWOL. And most Marines or military servicemen and women are willing to forgive him b/c he doesn't shy away from the fact he messed up. This is different, these are the boys of his unit, the 1s he directly let down. Fact is it's bad taste to have him star in a film where he plays a Marine. He lost his right to be called A Marine. I applaud the WWE for making the right decision. But at the same time knowing his history since day 1 he's been in the company, they acknowledged this many many years ago, even b4 it was talked about on a dvd.

kathy

to majeskie yes we did have the draft in the 70's so don't look you nose down at our military! Our Military members have a right to voice their outrage about this

rskuggs

All of this fuss,over a "movie"that would have gone straight to DVD? Wow!The bargain bins at Walmart are littered with "WWE Films"No one would ever pay money to watch any of these ridiculous movies that WWE produces.

Michelle

I don't think what Randy did was that big of a deal. He admits joining the Marines was a mistake and he paid for it. At least he didn't embarrass us like Linnie England (sp) or something like that.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments