« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

WWE Star BLASTS Nike

for Signing Jon Jones

.... He's a BAD Role Model

8/9/2012 7:40 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0809_cm_punk_jon_jones_NIKEWWE superstar C.M. Punk is furious with Nike ... claiming the sportswear giant is sending a HORRIBLE message to kids by signing UFC champ Jon "Bones" Jones ... who happens to be a convicted drunk driver.

FYI -- Nike announced it signed Jones to a MAJOR global endorsement deal yesterday ... a deal likely worth millions of dollars.

But moments after the announcement ... WWE champ C.M. Punk unloaded on The Swoosh ... saying, "Let's reward more drunk drivers with endorsement deals! #responsibility."

Punk -- who doesn't drink or smoke -- is referring to Jon's DUI conviction, stemming from a May 19 incident in which Jones drunkenly crashed his Bentley into a utility pole.

0531_jon_bones_jones_mugshot
Jones apologized for the incident ... and after cutting a deal with prosecutors, his driver's license was suspended for 6 months.

So far, no comment from either Jones or Nike.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Sin D

George?....Mr. Carlin?

Lee

Gotta agree with Punk on this one. Bones has no business in a position of being someone that kids look up to and want to emulate. Bad decision, Nike!!!!

Dylan

Breaking News? Punk sent that tweet out over 14 hours ago. Way to be on top of things, TMZ.

JP

Hey Punk, why don't you get in the ring with Jones tough guy.

MayerOlga

my classmate's mother makes $84/hr on the internet. She has been fired for 10 months but last month her check was $8514 just working on the internet for a few hours. Read about it on this site CashLazy.com

bucky

I hate to admit it, but it does seem like he directly goes after the black dudes for some reason. He didn't say **** about WWE having Charlie Sheen at the RAW 1000th episode, you know the WOMAN ABUSING (like CB) and DRUGGED/ALCOHOLIC mess (like JJ) that he is....

I really would like to think CM Punk isn't some semi-racist *******, but it's getting pretty hard.

He's a Chicago liberal and all so, it doesn't seem to out of the ordinary.

Pudding Tang

entertainment for the brainless

Wow ...

I do not know either of these guys, but I concur if a person has been convicted of a crime they should be shunned for a period of time. Because children do luck up to these guys...good grief look at Kim K following - who in the world wants their daughter to be just like her?

Let's start making drunk driving, drugs, etc what it is a CRIME and their is punishment for it, including from the public in addition the corp world!!

haskel420

WHY ARE THESE COPMMENTS RACE BASED TOWARDS CM PUNK.. NOTHING IN THIS STORY HAS MENTIONED RACE..

jay

I agree with what C.M. Said.. But it sounds like a little hateration.. Stop watching another persons money.. Get your own..

The Masked Tweeter

CM Punk is 100% right. I wear a mask on twitter. @MaskedTweeterX. All things wrestling too!

kjm

Well Nike is a s***bag corporation anyways!! They operate sweatshops over seas and are willing to back and stand behind anyone that will make them a dollar!!

verlinda

I am so tired of hearing how celebrities should be role models for kids. YOU be your child's role model and explain to them, these people are making money. I find it hard Punk should say anything with all the steroids being used in the WWE

The Masked Tweeter

CM PUNK is 100% right. It sickens me that NIKE would sign a convicted drunk driver. I tweet about this stuff while wearing a wrestling mask @maskedtweeterX and I write songs about wrestlers on my youtube page.

diamondsaredumb

Good for him for standing up and saying what should be said about all the celebrities that break the law and have no moral fiber and are still touted as role models.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments