Justin Timberlake

I'm 'Deeply Sorry' for

'Distasteful' Wedding Video

10/26/2012 9:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1026-justin-timberlake-tmz
Justin Timberlake
has just issued a formal apology for the "distasteful" wedding video that hit the Internet this week -- seemingly mocking homeless people -- and he's so serious ... he's forcing the guy who made it to do community service.

Justin apologized in an open letter on his website to "clear the air," calling the video that surfaced on the web -- in which real homeless people offer Justin their well-wishes for his wedding -- a "lapse in judgment." (excerpt below)

Justin says the video was NOT actually shown at his wedding, and insists he had NOTHING to do with its creation, but writes, "I am deeply sorry to anyone who was offended by [it]."

He writes, "I was always taught that we as people, no matter what your race, sex, or stature may be, are equal."

As for the "friends" behind the video, Justin adds -- "My friends are good people. This was clearly a lapse in judgment which I'm sure no one who is reading this is exempt from. But, I don't believe it was made to be insensitive."

Nevertheless, Justin says, "I think we can all agree that it was distasteful."

Justin ends the letter, writing, "You can bet your ass that I'm having my friend do at least 100 hours of community service... Boom."

Click to read the full letter below.

AN OPEN LETTER

To my family, friends, and fans:

The last time I wrote a letter like this, it was when I had the good fortune of attending a once in a lifetime experience by sharing an evening with some of America's finest at the Marine Corps Ball about a year ago. I was so moved by that night, I wanted to share it with everyone. Unfortunately, this letter holds a different kind of weight for me.

Normally, as some of you know, I am (by nature) a pretty private person. So, I don't really take it upon myself to comment on things that so often go misunderstood or something that has even shed any kind of dark light on what was and will always be one of the most special weeks of my life. But, in light of the recent events, I can't fight the urge to clarify my thoughts and feelings on what has been a very upsetting portrayal of the people closest to me and myself. It's not who I am as a professional or as a man.

I can't help but think of one of the many great life lessons my Grandfather has taught me... He told me when I was younger that "Sometimes, you are confronted with challenges in life that perhaps are not your own. And, when those moments arise, the right thing for a man to do is accept that responsibility, whatever it may be, and face it with honesty and humility."

So, I'm taking his advice. If for no other reason, than to clear the air so no one has to ever wonder how I feel about it.

I'd like to start off by saying that I don't live my life making fun of people (unless, of course, I'm making fun of myself on SNL)... Especially, those who are less fortunate or those in need. I grew up with a family and community that instilled ideals in me like hard work, honesty and empathy. As a matter of fact, growing up in Tennessee, I was always taught that we as people, no matter what your race, sex, or stature may be, are equal. We have a saying there that "Everyone puts their pants on the same way(maybe this saying doesn't apply to guys who wear kilts. Although, I'm sure they put theirs on the same way too...)"

As it pertains to this silly, unsavory video that was made as a joke and not in any way in mockery:

1. I had no knowledge of its existence. I had absolutely ZERO contribution to it.

2. My friends are good people. This was clearly a lapse in judgment which I'm sure no one who is reading this is exempt from. But, I don't believe it was made to be insensitive. More so, I think it was made as a joke on me not having that many friends attending my own wedding(which IS kind of funny if you think about it).

3. Like many silly rumors that I have been made aware of about the week: It was NOT shown at my wedding.

4. I think we can all agree that it was distasteful, even though that was not it's intention.
Once again, in the world that we live in where everyone thinks that they know everything, I want to be very clear... I am NOT defending the video. I agree with the overall consensus. But, to use another "pants" analogy... It seems that these days, misconception gets around the world before the actual truth even wakes up and gets it's pants on.

I want to say that, on behalf of my friends, family, and associative knuckleheads, I am deeply sorry to anyone who was offended by the video. Again, it was something that I was not made aware of. But, I do understand the reaction and, by association, I am holding myself accountable.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to share my thoughts. It really is a blessing to be able to speak directly to my true fans so that you can know exactly where I stand.

-Justin

P.S. You can bet your ass that I'm having my friend do at least 100 hours of community service... Boom.

DahhTroll

If JT is realy sincer he well get the homless all new teeth so that thye can find jobs, and chew food.
Also JT should go pass out hundreds to homless.

Mybe this is a new trend the rich making fun of the poor. The middel classs is beig whiped out .
The rich get richer and the poor get pooer
and some how thats funny,,
shame on JT and all the snobs who did this may thier wealth be cursed.

liquidbabydoll

creep! an open letter apology ?? lame! & he still sticks up for actions of the maker of the video. community service?? he's a lame wanker who's fame only shows how ANYONE can be famous. fake. He likes trashy rude people , cuz he is one , &surrounds himself with such

adelle

Yeah that's a real laugh riot. How very deep and artistic of your friend to make a video in which we are all reminded of the stark distinction between rich and poor...and how badly it serves to remind us of how dire things are out there for some. Unless of course, you're rich. Then all it merely serves as is a "joke" that doesn't affect you. It was a 3 minute video joke to you...in a couple weeks it will be a distant memory...a joke and a distant memory, nothing more. Too bad these people will continue to live after you shut your video camera off and forget about them. They are actual human beings that are here to serve more of a purpose than just entertainment for the rich.

I wish someone would pull a trump and challenge Jessica and Justin to DONATE every cent they made from being on the cover of PEOPLE, every wedding gift, every bit of money they got from the wedding. Give it all to a charity that helps the homeless. PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS timber****....and that hasbeen for a wife can do the same. She must make something from those 7th Heaven reruns, right?

pattycake

bull****...so half assed ...he is an *******... and sooo doesnt get it.

Art Fugue

Sorry, Dickbox, if you still think this is a good person, then you are a participant in his ****tiness.

Community service? If one of my friends did this, it would be the death sentence for our friendship. Ms Biel should be ashamed to be associated with either one of you assbags.

Tango

Classy guy J.T.
He's a keeper

Spicy mag

What's wrong with homeless people wishing them well? Were they making fun of the homeless? I'm too lazy to watch it.

jen

l believe him on all counts that he didnt make the video and it wasnt shown at his wedding and l believe his apology is sincere and l am not really a huge fan well done he made an apology on his friends behalf and admitted it was distatsteful

The New Improved Sock Puppet

I can take him or leave him, really have no opinion about him but why the hell should he have to apologize for something he had nothing to do with? I have friends who continue to have a few drinks and drive, no matter what anyone else tells them, because they think they're not "amateurs" about it. If one of those friends wraps their car around a pole why should I apologize for their bad judgment, when they know as a person I am completely opposed to the practice? I think that was pretty damn classy of Timberlake, and it's too bad it put a cloud over his wedding day.

shannon2

It's funny making fun of the "47 percent", huh Justin? You're just another rich, sick creep.

myopinion

Thanks for the apology Justine but we ALL knew you were not behind the video! Congratulations on your wedding and many happy years to come!

Loretta Love

Show me your friends and I'll tell you who you are...

Jackie

Bad taste in friends then. pfft.

robt

Typical hollywood liberal hypocrits - want to keep the fans coming to the box office but in reality the entire industry is nothing but a bunch of racists. How many black have won Oscars? How many blacks run studios? How many black directors get projects? How many black leading men/women are there? How many black oriented films are made? Get it? RACISTS!!!

JustinHater

I still don't like you Justin You Married Mt wife Man Not cool at all you better write another saying sorry to me Mr.Cry me a Rive, You bastard you stole my wife lol Ok Im done good luck to ya tho big head
Da_Black_Kid_ Justin Blackberlin