Ed Koch

Dead at 88

2/1/2013 5:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0201_ed_koch_gettyEd Koch -- one of the most popular mayors in New York City history -- died early this morning at the age of 88.

Koch had been hospitalized earlier this month for a lung ailment. He was also hospitalized last September for anemia and battled pneumonia last December.

Koch served in the United States House of Representatives from 1969-1977 and three terms as mayor of New York City from 1978-1989. He's credited with rescuing the city from dire financial straits during his time in charge.

He once described himself by saying, "I'm the sort of person who will never get ulcers. Why? Because I say exactly what I think. I am the sort of person who might give other people ulcers."

After his time in office, Koch served as a judge on "The People's Court" from 1997-1999.

Koch was never married and has no children.

0131_ed_koch_remembering_footer

myopinion

RIP Judge Koch

girlshark

RIP Mr Mayor. You served your city well.

BellaJ

May he rest in peace <3

boo

My condolences to his family. Harvey, sorry for your loss.

KanyeWest

God bless you RIP

Truth

I REMEMBER THE DUDE ON PEOPLE'S COURT... #RIP #TRUTH!!

PG

R.I.P. My honorable Koch, you will be missed.

pattycakes not to be confused with pattycake

Rest in peace Ed Koch. I moved to New York when you were mayor. You were looking forward to going home last week and writing. Seems like you were vibrant and clear headed until the end. I'm glad you didn't lay in a hospital bed but I really thought you were gonna get better. Unfortunately you were taken from us. Loved you man!

Phreaky

Aww loved him, RIP Mr. Koch.
Also knew more were coming after that Xgames guy died yesterday - always in 3's. One more.

bellagrazi

Awe, I loved Ed Koch! He was a good guy. And super funny. RIP, Mayor.

seamus

RIP to the best mayor New York City ever had. So sad.

Mary Ann McQueen

Mayor Ed Koch was a great leader and politician. He was one of the first public officials to fearlessly ask anyone and everyone, "How am I doin'?" He will be missed. RIP Mr. Mayor.

BigMunKnee

RIP Mayor Koch. I was one of your "neighbors" across the river (Jersey) and in ALL MY YEARS, have NEVER heard a (then)voting-age, native New Yawka' say ONE BAD THING about you!

kburn

I was on his People's Court show, he saw in my favor, very funny, intelligent and kindhearted gentleman, RIP Mayor Koch!

Joey

RIP Mr Mayor you brought the City back from the grave. Thank you for all that you did for NYC

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments