Lauryn Hill

3 Months In Prison

For Tax Evasion

5/6/2013 2:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

050613_laryn_hill_exit_launch
Lauryn Hill has been sentenced to spend 3 months in FEDERAL PRISON for tax evasion … even though she claims she paid off her nearly $1 million bill to Uncle Sam before sentencing.

A judge in Newark, New Jersey dished out the sentence moments ago ... and told Hill that after she completes her stint behind bars, she'll spend 3 more months on house arrest ... followed by 9 months of supervised release.

Before the hearing, Hill's attorney told the media the singer scraped together more than $970,000 to repay her debt to the government.

The 37-year-old former Fugee pled guilty last year to three counts of tax evasion for failing to file returns on $1.8 million she earned from 2005 to 2007. Lauryn's attorney asked for mercy because of her charity work and 6 kids ... but the judge wasn't buying it.

During the hearing, the judge ordered Hill to report to prison by July 8. It's unclear where Hill will serve her time.

Hill was present during the hearing, and delivered a statement to the judge in which she compared her situation to slavery.

"I was put into a system I didn't know the nature of. ... I'm a child of former slaves. I got into an economic paradigm and had that imposed on me," Hill said.

She continued, "I sold 50 million units ... now I'm up here paying a tax debt. If that's not likened to slavery, I don't know what is."

Joey

She obviously didn't read the memo...You can't do things like this, unless you're Linsay lohan...Rules apply to minority women.

AV

This a perfect example being a singer, movie artist or anything else in the entertainment industry, once your 15 minutes of frame wear off your left with nothing???
Frame is not forever?

Ann33

Anyone else deeply offended by her slavery comment?? Comparing her situation to slavery?!

fit

If we know who had a son, it would look like dat.

karmah

"I was put into a system I didn't know the nature of.... I'm a child of former slaves. I got into an economic paradigm and had that imposed on me," she said. "I sold 50 million units ... now I'm up here paying a tax debt. If that's not likened to slavery, I don't know what is."
Are you f***ing kidding me??? What a nutcase!

trucker

get merchandise below closeut no business license required
great for flea market booths
visit http://www.superdiscountmerchandise.com

MadTatter

For those that don't believe that this b@$@ch is racist...I worked for years at a recording studio in L.A. and she didn't want any "whiteys" waiting on her or even in the same room as her (I was a food runner). She was my first racist experience. Her entourage were a bunch of d-bag panther, racist f@&ktards too...they would have licked her boots if she so requested. Kindly disappear Lauren over the Hill. Thank you, The MadTatter

yaokay

I don't see how this is linked to slavery in anyway. If you do not pay taxes they come after you no matter how many kids you have or charity work you have done. With all that money you should have had one heck of a accountant............ you should not be in thia position if only you would have taken care of it

tucker

Slaves? Gimme a break. You're a punk ass law breaker who got caught. Have fun in jail.

joe bob

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!! Racist B****! Hope she gets shanked in prison!!

Common Sense Bonita

Racists pastey faced pecker woods unite yes she has a point pig

Kamcy

Is she joking? Or is her brain fried on drugs? The two certainties in all our lives are death and taxes. Get over it.

Marvin

Wow What a lousy excuse.

@luvonfiyah

Antsixsixsix

Black people always gotta bring up slavery.