Lauryn Hill

3 Months In Prison

For Tax Evasion

5/6/2013 2:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

050613_laryn_hill_exit_launch
Lauryn Hill has been sentenced to spend 3 months in FEDERAL PRISON for tax evasion … even though she claims she paid off her nearly $1 million bill to Uncle Sam before sentencing.

A judge in Newark, New Jersey dished out the sentence moments ago ... and told Hill that after she completes her stint behind bars, she'll spend 3 more months on house arrest ... followed by 9 months of supervised release.

Before the hearing, Hill's attorney told the media the singer scraped together more than $970,000 to repay her debt to the government.

The 37-year-old former Fugee pled guilty last year to three counts of tax evasion for failing to file returns on $1.8 million she earned from 2005 to 2007. Lauryn's attorney asked for mercy because of her charity work and 6 kids ... but the judge wasn't buying it.

During the hearing, the judge ordered Hill to report to prison by July 8. It's unclear where Hill will serve her time.

Hill was present during the hearing, and delivered a statement to the judge in which she compared her situation to slavery.

"I was put into a system I didn't know the nature of. ... I'm a child of former slaves. I got into an economic paradigm and had that imposed on me," Hill said.

She continued, "I sold 50 million units ... now I'm up here paying a tax debt. If that's not likened to slavery, I don't know what is."

tom p

gosh I liked her until I read some of this stuff she said...she should just shut up and pay her taxes.

friendlyone20

'A child of former slaves?'

Ha!

What an imbecile. Miss Child of Former Slaves, you are not above the law.

I'm black and I found this comment offensive and very juvenile.

keith

you cant pay your debt off after your found GUILTY. duh... im glad they got her. fat joe is next!

Yup

Wow... she's just about as stupid as stupid gets. And a racist as well.

Attention Lauryn Hill: it's called income tax, and it's what us adults pay. It's not slavery, it's not against your racial or religious beliefs. You didn't pay, you go to jail. Grow up & accept this as fact...

Msdana31

If I hear one more comment about her being a racist, or that she is trying to pull the race card because of her slavery comment, I am going to phukin scream. Damn the US education system! It is called SYMBOLISM !!!!!! Taxation is likened to slavery, and I quote "taxaction results in an unfree society in which individuals are forced to work to enrich the government and the recipients of largesse(roughly-welfare), rather than for their own benefit." Her comments make very good sense. Damn people, wake the hell up! Some folks are too blind to see. It's messed up to be sentenced to jail for not giving the government, or anyone, a portion of money that you earned. Regardless of what the law is, in theory, taxation is Phucked up and can be considered a form of slavery. Hell, I can't go to Wal-Mart, walk up to a cash register and take 30% of the money just because I want to. I can show the cashier a do***ent, that i wrote up, saying that they have to give it to me because i said so. My ass would go to jail. Because if I were to do that ****, it's called stealing. Yet, the government can do it, and put your ass in jail if you say, "I'm not giving you ****! This belongs to me." She makes perfect sense to me.

David

You don't know a damn thing about slavery. That was 150 years ago. Now your living as a millionaire in a country that gave you the opportunity to get rich off of your no talent abilities. Try going to Africa and getting rich there. They would laugh at you and tell you that you don't belong there. You with your victimization mentality are just making excuses to screw the American system. If you're an American, you have to pay taxes like the rest of us. Even the poor people pay taxes here, you dumb ASS!!!!

NOT ELMO

Lauryn Hill
3 Months In Prison
For Tax Evasion............................is She related to Wesley Snipes Tax King....

Handymike

pay up rich bitch!! what a dumb ass racist ****ty

harriet

why is lohan still flitting around playing the system and getting breaks? three months in prison seems apt since tax evasion is not cool but, compared to the complete disregard for the system the talentless lohan flaunts, does not represent a balanced approach to sentencing. in other words... why are we, as taxpayers, putting up with the way lohan is playing the system... and winning? has anyone added up how much it has cost the taxpayers of california to simply try her repeatedly? the lohan show is not free! the sentencing of hill shows the system can work properly and efficiently. so maybe there is some racism at play here... but in favour of lohan.

Mommy Smokesout

I bet Wesley Snipes is mad as a mother f'er...He got 3 years!!!And he didn't play the slave card.I can not believe the nerve of this dumb bitch.They went too easy on her.I dispise racist people likeher...

Dave

Actually taxes are a form of slavery, but we are all slaves together. She doesn't get to play by different rules.

gpzjack

Wow...using racism as an excuse for not paying taxes. "I sold 50 million units".... I guess that means you can do whatever you want.

Mike James

Obama says pay your fair share...

JFO

I'm a child of former slaves ... how could that be??? What a load of crap - she can't take her punishment for tax evasion so it becomes all about her being bamboozled by the music industry because "she's a child of former slaves." The hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Tanya

Obama says she's gotta pay her fair share...pay up bitch