Gene Wilder

TRASHES 'Wonka' Movie Remake

'I Think It's an Insult'

6/14/2013 10:10 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0614_willy_wonka_01
Don't expect Gene Wilder and Tim Burton to share a candy bar together any time soon ... because Wilder says he flat out HATES the director's remake of his classic film, "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory."

Wilder made a rare appearance Thursday night in NYC and spoke with Turner Classic Movies host Robert Osborne. According to The Wrap, Wilder called the 2005 movie "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" starring Johnny Depp "an insult" to the original.

Wilder said he had no beef with Depp (calling him "a good actor") but said of Burton, "I don't care for that director. He's a talented man, but I don't care for him doing stuff like he did."

Oompa Loompa doo-pa-dee do ...
It's gotta suck when Willy Wonka rips you ...

DtownK

I completely agree with Mr. Wilder there is no comparison I love Johnny but the story was all messed up! It was disappointing to see.

DtownK

josephgein

JACK. ALBERTSON.

Lydia

I agree. That remake was SHAMEFUL.

GreenScorpion

Frankly I think Depp came off as a gay pedifile. Totally creapy for this type of show. I agree with Mr. Wilder. He played Wanka so much better. And the ompa songs were much better.

Jackie

I agree.

Agreed

I agree with Wilder. HATED the remake. My kids will be raised on the original. They can find out about Burton's version when they're old enough to learn on their own. I'm sure they'll hate it too.

Joao

Name me one decent remake or a song or movie.
I rest my cases. Hollywood is all smoke, mirrors and special-effect to mask their stable talentless, flat actors.

TheCat

I loved the original and so wanted to love the remake. No love here. Wilder is right.

lisa

Yeah, the remake is dark and weird. And it is suppose to be a kid's movie. That seems to be what people are into nowadays.

Lia

Y'all are crazy. Wilder's version was a DISGRACE to the book and Robert Dahl. Burton's version was MUCH better!

Thesteinman7

It was more like 2 different movies with the same characters

Baby pink

It was a great book and ''Kuddo's'' to Johnny for 'trying' but, in the end...Gene Wilder owns it!!..the role, the name and "Bragging Rights" for its success!!

Lydia

And ONE ompa ompa ! Rip off !! I can never see that man again without thinking of that horrid movie.

Xianne

I love the original . I saw the remake and it sucked. I agreed ,it's an insult.