Tom Brokaw

Diagnosed With Cancer

... But I'm Optimistic

2/11/2014 3:49 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0211-tom-brokaw-tmzLegendary newsman Tom Brokaw has revealed that he's been diagnosed with bone marrow cancer ... but says he's "optimistic about the future."

74-year-old Brokaw -- who's currently a special correspondent for NBC News -- was diagnosed with multiple myeloma.

According to a study by the National Cancer Institute, the 10-year survival rate for someone of Brokaw's age is 3%.

Still, Brokaw remains positive ... saying, "With the exceptional support of my family, medical team and friends, I am very optimistic about the future and look forward to continuing my life, my work and adventures still to come.”

He adds, "I remain the luckiest guy I know.”

“I am very grateful for the interest in my condition but I also hope everyone understands I wish to keep this a private matter.”

0211_tom_brokaw_through_years_footer

Jay W.

Tom will get 10 more...

BLUE UGLY đź’©

Nooooo

my 2 cents

Pulling for you Tom

Ann

He's one of the lucky ones. He has health insurance.

bring back recent posts

The treatment for this type of cancer is very successful now, I am sure he will live as long as he would have had he not been diagnosed with this. You know he has the best doctors treating him, I only wish the rest of America had the same opportunity with the drugs and physicians.

Clytemnestra

I hope he beats it, of course, but the call for privacy is sort of lame at this point. When you are famous, it seems impossible to keep medical secrets. Sigh.

Delores

Although I don't pay for TV any longer I do know you to be one of the good, old fashioned news men who just reported honest facts.

I wish you well, Mr. Brokaw

She's baaaack

I wish him the best. Good for him to making it to 74 in relatively good health. Go for 10 more!

Learn how to read

His survival rate is 13% not 3%. Read the entire article. Don't just pull numbers without reading the context.

The ten-year relative sur­viv­al rates in the most recent period were 13 percent for the oldest age group .
The ten-year sur­viv­al rate increased 3 percent for patients 70 years and older.

nof

He's Tom Brokaw - he'll beat it.

Survival-rates mean nothing when you speak of Legends.

Our prayers will remain with TB -

-even though he's the Pope of Rockefeller Center.

skippy

I have cancer too, but I go with God's odds not doctor's odds of living 10 more years. If Tom believes in Jesus, he can read Psalms 91. Trust in GOD as your protector and he will extend your life.

REALbarbwire7

Stay positive. I believe that is 50% of beating cancer. Good thoughts sent your way. xo

Mayu

My dad had multiple meyloma. They gave him 5 years to live and he passed away from heart failure 15 years later. Ha

shakedoggy

RIP. he will be sorely missed by all.

Mayu

I hate to be a Debby Downer... but - people keep saying he'll "Beat this" - there is NO beating this. There is NO successful treatment. It is a terminal cancer for which their is no cure. So please support Cancer research. I donate every year in my dad's memory. He had a rare form of multiple meyloma. It's not fun to watch I'll tell you that. He was good till the last 3 years. and he had the best doctors. (which is why he lived 10 years passed what they said he would) but in the end... it's terminal.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments