David Letterman

I'm Retiring

4/3/2014 1:32 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

040314_david_letterman_retirement_launch
David Letterman, the longest-serving late-night talk show host in TV history, has just announced his retirement.

Letterman made the announcement during the taping of his show Thursday in New York, telling the audience his last show will take place in 2015.

He told the audience ... he's turning 67 and wants to spend more time with his family.  Dave went on to say he'd be retiring in the next year or 2.  The audience thought he was joking because he said, "Finally Paul and I can get married."

040314_david_letterman_california_launch

Johnny Depp then came on and told Dave people backstage were weeping.  It appears Dave's staff knew of the announcement and many were backstage.

During his announcement, Dave said he started in the business when he was 34 so he's been doing it for half his life, and now it was time to be with his son.

040314_david_letterman_10th_anniversary_launch_v3

Letterman began his Hollywood career as a stand-up comedian in the late 1970s, appearing several times on "The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson." He got his morning show in 1980 and began his late night career in 1982 on NBC with "Late Night with David Letterman."

040314_david_letterman_taco_bell_launch

11 years later in 1993, Letterman moved to CBS to host "The Late Show with David Letterman," after Jay Leno was tapped to replace Johnny Carson on NBC.

Letterman's CBS contract is scheduled to expire next year and Letterman won't be re-upping.

0403_david_letterman_footer

Ron

Maybe Craig Ferguson will get the spot!

Jeffsafe

See ya puttz

vito de marco

Good another liberal ******* bites the dust, go with Piers Morgan back to England.

Mr. Witness

Hmmm --- who is funnier? A guy who's had a successful late night network talk show entertaining millions for over thirty years, or the illiterate idiots on this message board with the backward baseball caps and gold chains who spell like third graders? Thanks for your worthless opinions, morons.

TattyTalia

I hope we get a female replacement! Maybe Chelsea Handler?

Kathy

Should have done it 10 years ago.

rcau5910@aol.com

Good ridance.

big d

NOOOOOOOOOO! He is only 67--that's not even that old. Carson was a decade older. I can't help but think that CBS is making him leave which I find so very sad. I always enjoy seeing my favorite celebs interact with him.

actionwriter

O HAPPY DAY!!!! Haysus I AM SOOOOO glad I lived to see this day...Ol gap-tooth is out and off the tube. NOW, if we can just get O'Reilly to follow like Andy Rooney did----retire and then three weeks later his picture is in the obits....o happy day!!! America is a better place

Gizmo's Mom

Twenty one years of pure boredom & stupidity! Glad to see him go.

bucktownboy

Maybe they can replace him with Jay Leno-

Mert

Never could stand him. He's arrogant and not the least bit funny. Hope they offer his late night spot to Jay Leno.

swaogasgo

I watched the morning show (the set caught on fire one time!) and his last show up until about the time carson retired.......when he was new on the air the show was great......at dave got older he got more grouchy.........
I don't watch TV much any more but the carson/letterman combo at the end of my work shift at night was a 'go to' for years.........take it easy dave.......no more interns for you

TB

Here comes Chelsea!

NWBL

I have always been with Cher about Letterman. I think he's an a$$hole. Sayonara.