Pitt/Jolie Legal Threat

6/25/2006 6:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Re:
Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt/Stolen Photos

Our File No.: 2583-20

Dear Sir/Madam:

Recently, a digital memory card containing a number of personal copyright protected photographs of our clients was stolen. The police are currently investigating this matter. The photos depict, among other things, private moments and images of our clients and/or their minor children, taken in Namibia, including images from a private baby shower (the "Stolen Photos"). It is obvious to anyone viewing the Stolen Photos that they were taken in private, on private property and that they could only have been taken by our clients and/or a family member, who own all right title and interest thereto.

We understand that the person who stole the Stolen Photos, or an accomplice, has been offering them for sale to the various media outlets and celebrity content websites, and may have offered the Stolen Photos to you.

This letter is to provide you with notice that the Stolen Photos are copyright protected, to which my clients own right and title thereto. Any unauthorized publication, reproduction or dissemination of the Stolen Photos constitutes an infringement of my clients' copyrights in violation of the U.S. Copyright Act, Title 17 of the United States Code Section 101, et seq., and exposes you, and anyone else acting in concert with you, to civil liability, damages, injunctive relief and reimbursement of all attorneys' fees and costs incurred by my clients in connection with any copyright infringement action. Furthermore, if any monies are paid for the purchase of the Stolen Photos, you will be engaged in the purchase of stolen property.

In addition, under the circumstances that the Stolen Photos were taken, namely, at private and personal events on private property, my clients had a reasonable expectation of enjoying total privacy. The publication of the photos would therefore constitute a unlawful invasion and violation of my clients' right of privacy and would also be an unauthorized commercial appropriation of their names, likenesses and personas.

Anyone who publishes, disseminates, displays or otherwise exploits the Stolen Photos will be liable for substantial compensatory damages, punitive damages, and injunctive relief. If you publish or disseminate and of the Stolen Photos, our clients will take further legal action to protect their rights, including by the filing of a lawsuit seeking compensatory and punitive damages, statutory damages for copyright violations, and attorneys' fees.

On behalf of our clients, we request as follows:

1. If you or any of your employees or agents are/have been approached and offered the right to acquire and publish any of the Photos, or are approached in any way with regard to the Photos, we ask that you immediately contact either myself or Evan Spiegel at Lavely & Singer at (310) 556-3501 x 238 or 247, so that the matter may be referred to the criminal authorities; and

2. That you cease and desist from exploiting, publishing, posting, distributing, or
otherwise using or disseminating (with or without monetary charge) any of the Stolen Photos, through any venue or medium, including but not limited to on your website.

Please govern yourself accordingly.

This letter does not purport to constitute a complete or exhaustive statement of all of our clients' rights, contentions or legal theories. Nothing contained herein is intended as, nor should it be deemed to constitute, a waiver or relinquishment of any of our clients' rights or remedies, whether legal or equitable, all of which are hereby expressly reserved.

Sincerely,

John H. Lavely, Jr, Esq.
Martin D. Singer, Esq.
Evan N. Spiegel, Esq.
2583-20\Let\YEH-Stolen Photos 062406 © Lavely & Singer, P.C. 2006

COMMENTS

Jade

Yikes, don't you just love it when they bring out the big guns. I've not seen the pictures yet.. but I bet they'll be all over the net within hours.

Michel

These photos where imprinted on photographic media outside of the USA?
Whould I be wrong in assuming that this act is of foreign nature?
Are you wishing to add to your already large assets by mear fact that you had a kid? ... something any two people without ANY talent at all can do.
Sigh!
N' You want 4 MILLION bucks for you to saction "legal" photos".
Post Partum greed?

Sarah

I think that we need to remember that they are people just like us. There should be moments that are private and only within the family. As for them selling those photos for (a so called) 4 million they donated that money to charity. If you know anything about Angelina Jolie you would know that she donates 1/3 on her income to charity.
Now put yourself in their situation.... imagine not being able to leave your house or even go to the store without someone watching. So before you judge realize that everyone deserve the right to private moments.

Lance K.

I would hate to have my pictures stolen so I really feel for them.

Lance K.

You know I am seeing more and more photographers and others crossing the line. Just think of some of the stuff that is sold on ebay. They will search your trash they will follow after you. It realy is disgusting behavior and I do wish there wasn't a market for this type of stuff

Michele

I agree that they are regular people and should definately have there space. However, they chose the business and all that comes with it. When you make personal decisions, just do them and stop waiting for the "leaks" to happen. Unfortunately you can't always chose to have the media stop taking pictures for your "beloved fans" who want more. I've always thought celbrities should put out their baby's picture out themselves - hey! the baby will change by next month and the cameras will leave them alone. I read & look for pure entertainment - I was taught early that celebrities not "stars" put their pants on one leg at a time & eat and use the bathroom - just like me.

Lance K.

They have a right to do with THEIR pictures what they want. Neither you nor I should have a say in it the same way they should not have a say in what you or I do with our private pictures.

I hope the person is catught and prosecuted

sean

for a high-powered law firm, an email riddled with grammatical errors and redundancies. guess they don't teach you how to compose yourself correctly on paper in law school. if i were brangelina, i would get new counsel stat!

paul

how can we read the letter with that thing in the middle of it. how the heck to close that window. it runs right in the middle of the page.

yoanna

uh oh, not the pictures of the kids and brangelina. We haven't seen enough of those!!! Someone stop them please.

SickOfThem

I am so sick of these prima donnas! The letter from the attorney says the pictures were "stolen" by the owners or a family member along with an accomplice. I bet it's her brother and he is jealous of Pitt.

Enough already....go back to Africa and take all your drama with you!

Shelby

I feel for you Angelina and Brad.
I would hate for something of mine that is very important to me to get stolen!!!!
I hope you get it back!!!!
Sincerely,
Shelby
PS-Good Luck!!!!

Lance K.

How sad that this has to even happen. Would hate to have to worry about things being stolen, must mess with your sense of stress. I do hope they find out what happened. If it was someone close to them that should be discovered. Need to cut people out of your life who do not care about you

girladvenger

I'm glad Brad and Angie is bring in the big guns because these photos were stolen coming in thru custom. The idiot friends are telling each other about the thefts of 450 photos on their websites that was linked to the photos. This should be a easy case for the police to solve. This just tells you that government agents sell too. That why luggages get lost everyday and missing items like cash, jewerly and electronice equipments comes up missing.

corky

I think it sounds like some people are jealous!!!!!!! Would you want to have it happen to you? Some things are not for the public. And for your info they do take care of the good old U.S.A. what are you guys doing to help out the world? Let them be. This is way to old now. I know Brad and he has always felt there was more to life then the movies and what he wanted was a family that Jen did not want to give him.(By the way her movies suck she still acts like she is still on Friends she is not a charactor actress) Have a nice day.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments