Nicole Kidman Wasn't Married to Tom Cruise...

6/26/2006 7:59 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Nicole Kidmanat least according to the Catholic Church in Australia.

Many around the world were scratching their heads this past weekend, trying to figure out exactly how Kidman was able to get married as a Catholic in a Catholic ceremony, as the Church does not allow for a second marriage (in the Church) after a divorce. Many assumed that Kidman had gotten her marriage to Tom Cruise annulled, which would technically have paved the way for a second marriage in the Church.

Well, not so fast. Kidman's marriage to Cruise lasted 10 years -- a little long to plead temporary insanity -- and considering how notoriously difficult it is to have the Church grant an annulment (they're not handing them out like communion wafers), Kidman may have figured out how to get around the requirement -- she reportedly didn't need an annulment at all.

The BBC is reporting that Kidman's 10-year union to Cruise wasn't recognized by the Catholic Church of Australia. The service was seen only as a legal ceremony and not a spiritual one. In other words, according to the Catholic Church anyway, it never happened. All Kidman had to prove was that it was dissolved legally and she was free to marry any country crooner she wanted. A loophole to be sure, but one that allowed Kidman to reconnect her Catholic faith with Keith Urban, the man she loves.

Related photo galleries:
Nicole Kidman
Tom Cruise
Keith Urban
Kidman / Urban Wedding
Tom and Nicole

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Maria

Well I thought that the TMZ paparazzi's photographers are expert, but You only have SEVEN pictures of Nicole's Wedding. You can't even get inside the real ceremony and reception hall where it was held. So to Me that makes You EXPERT GOSSIPERS with no strong capabilities to be able to get in yourselves to take more PICS. HAHAHA You just make Me laugh. By the way Nicole You look very stunning in Your outfit, may You blessed with Your marriage!!!!!!!!! BYE PAPARAZZI EXPERT ON GOSSIPING ONLY, NO STRONG CAPABILITIES

TheseDays

Sure hope this works out & goes the long distance. They look so cool together. Let's keep our fingers crossed. Now....if I can go backward: have always wondered why Tom Cruise ended his marriage to Nicole & he once said, "Nicole knows why....," but nothing was ever revealed. Since I'm out of the loop, does anybody have any insight for me? Cuz they were always together, looked harmonious & then out of the blue, he files for divorce. Plez share!

Rebecca

Go Nicole!!!! You deserve the best and most wonderful life you can have and I think you've found it. I hope you two at least have one child if not two. Love you.

Rubydo

I have always wondered why also....the marriage ended. ANy thoughts?

baRB

i AM SO GLAD SHE BEAT THAT DORK TOM TO THE ALTER. I BET YOU'LL NEVER SEE URBAN JUMPING ON A COUCH & ACTING LIKE A FOOL. POOR KATIE, WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE TALK SOME SENSE INTO HER?

Phillip Ware-Ehlers

And the people of the United States worry about Gay Marriage? Give me a break. Yet my legal marriage in Canada, is not recognized in the United States. So when does the day come when each state can say who is or who is not married? Laws need to apply in all countries the same. Because if I am legally married in Canada, I should be legally married in the United States. People want to say it's a religious thing, well obviously, in this case, it's not. It was simply a legal ceremony and not a religious one, so therefore Kidman and Cruise were never married. Get real.

SUNFLOWERgirl

I am so glad that Nicole got away from that cult-like religion. I am hoping that she can undo any harm done to her kids...if it isn't too late. We all know how domineering Tom Cruise is.

lea

Just a shot in the dark, Rosalie, but I'm guesssing she refused to wear the handle bar moustache and strap on to bed.

Secretary

I wish to God I hadn't married my ex husband in the church. It would be easy to get an annulment because of the circumstances, but what a colossal mistake it was. I hope that Nicole and Keith are deliriously happy together. :)

John

Loop hole my ass...........in the Church's eyes she wasn't married for 10 freakin years? And a loving dedicated woman to woman or man to man relationship is not recognized! Please........And I guess Liz Taylor is a Virgin too! Oh, in there eyes................

Carol Crawford

Well if they weren't married it seems that Nicole should have beeen excommunicated from the Catholic Churvh of Australia for living with Tom for 10 years and adopting 2 kids to be in an out=of=wedlock relationship. Not that I think she should have been - seems like the Church would have thought so -- love how they are consistent. It seems simpler to recognize divorce rather than create a loophole that essentially rewrites history in a narrow world. I hope they're happy and I applaud her for being one of the few who gets married before having kids!

Julie

I'm sorry but he deserves better then her. I think she was more into him then her own children. She's always observed with him out in public but never at her kids events, games, etc. We were all talking the other day and she was so pretty in Days of Thunder...look at her now! Matronly ewwww. I hope it works, since I don't like divorce but I see this one lasting a lot less then Tom will be with Kate! Go Tom...Nicole rode your coattails for a long enough time. Let her ride Keith's now.

Annette

Whether she was or was not married to Cruise is no longer an issue. At least SHE GOT MARRIED first before a baby came into the picture and hasn't flaunted her personal life like so much trash like Cruise. He really sets an example for our youth, now doesn't he? Course he's in good company with Pitt

rusmct

I guess it's like the song says..................she bought the stairway to heaven. She probably got around the issue of the first marriage with a huge donation to the church. That aside........I wish them the best of luck.

CA Jensen

Nicole was LEGALLY married to Cruise, but not SACRAMENTALLY. In the eyes of the Church, since they did not have their marriage blessed by the Catholic Church, it was not a SACRAMENT. There is a difference, religiously speaking. Look up Canon law or ask a priest. One of the reasons Tom & Nicole's marriage dissolved had to be his belief in Scientology. The Catholic Church would not have excommunicated Nicole. I am assuming that she confessed her non-sacramental marriage in the sacrament of reconciliation. This would have to be one of the steps she would have to take in order to be married by a priest. There are seven sacraments in the Church and marriage is one of them. She couldn't just walk in and ask to be married in a Catholic ceremony. There are a lot of steps to go through before a ceremony can be conducted. I hope this clairifies some of the confusion.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments