Singers Channel Their Inner Jekyll & Hyde

7/26/2006 8:20 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

While it's expected for rappers to have musical alter-egos - think Marshall Mathers/Eminem or Sean Combs/Puffy/Puff Daddy/P.Diddy/Diddy - lately even pop powerhouses like Beyoncé and Christina Aguilera have created liberating personas to give them that extra attitude and stage presence.
Christina Aguilera and Beyonce
Beyoncé

Ever since going solo, Beyoncé says she's channeled a diva she calls Sasha and reveals "For the first time, I wasn't afraid. I wasn't limited." During her years with Destiny's Child, Beyoncé "didn't think it was appropriate to let Sasha out." While it was Sasha who performed with Prince at the 2004 Grammys, Beyonce claims to have been "horrified" after watching how domineering Sasha was during their duet. No word on how the divo himself, aka the artist currently known as Prince, felt about his pairing with Miss Sasha.Beyonce w/ Prince at the 2004 Grammys

Mary J. Blige

Mary J.Blige, the queen of hip-hop soul, goes so far as to credit her alter-ego, Brook-Lyn, in her latest song "Enough Cryin'". Mary created rapper Brook-Lyn to give her lyrical freedom "I had to separate the two because Mary is nice, you know, intelligent. Brook-Lyn is crazy, ignorant and she don't care." Note to Blige: them are fightin' words!
Mary J. Blige
Christina Aguilera

Mousketeer gone "Dirrty" Christina Aguilera morphed into her scantily clad doppleganger Xtina on her last album. For her upcoming CD "Back to Basics", Aguilera has created yet another character. This time her latest incarnation resembles an old Hollywood siren and goes by the name of Baby Jane. Christina says "I am Miss Baby Jane. I'm not going to tell you why I have that nickname....It's still me, but me at this place in my life." Whatever you say Chrissy.
Christina Aguilera
Garth Brooks

Regardless of what you may think of Sasha or Baby Jane's antics, nothing compares to Garth Brooks' sad attempt at, well, we're not quite sure what he was attempting. Brooks not only created an alter-ego with a full back story, but also released an album entitled "The Life of Chris Gaines", a TV special and appeared on "SNL" under the failed alias of Chris Gaines. The 1999 debacle saw the country crooner transform into a leather clad, goateed alt-rocker with a shag haircut. Luckily, Garth's bout with temporary insanity came and went and Chris Gaines was never heard from again.

Garth Brooks and Chris Gaines

Debra

It's so incredibly unintelligent to use an alter ago as a means of being someone/something that you aren't. Anyone who thinks this new fad is anything but, is in my opinion, an idiot. Just goes to show...all the money in the world can't buy common sense.

Cris

Does the word "Hypocrisy" mean anything to these people? They are
constantly saying to their fans that it is important to be yourself,
know who you are, and be true to the real you. Bull...if they were
practicing what they preach, then these alter egos wouldn't be
necessary. I enjoy the music that all of these individuals share
with the world---even Chris Gaines. Why do they feel that they have
to explain the different sides to their personalities by creating
another person. Are they all suffering from D.I.D.? We all have
different aspects to our personalities. Does this mean everyone has
an alter ego that they should give an identity to?

Saundra

I totally believe them. Giving yourself an alter-ego would give your other 'self' permission and freedom to do things that the 'primary self' wouldn't feel all that comfortable with. I think that it is a good idea.....I'm a very spiritual person but I do have an alter-ego and she's a hot mess...in a good way! Alter-ego is different from a split personality, I think though. Look at Beyonce' off stage she is demure and quiet, on stage she'll eat you alive!!!!! I noticed that way before she said anything about Ms. Sasha. Look, Bey....both of y'all...do the dang thang.....Ms. Sasha is fierce and so are U.

Knoelle

Hey to each her/his own. Sometimes you have to create alter egos to just let loose. I know alot of us can relate. Tell me why is it that whever a celebrity says somethings some people out there take the worst meaning out of it? What these ladies are saying is harmless and it keeps them going. I bet if some of you let your alter ego out you would be able to do more of the things that you were always too afraid to do. Hey whatever they are doing it's working because they are the top sellers so the money does not care about how crazy some of you all think they are.

K

um, yeah. I can understand the whole alter ego thing. I mean its fun and light and everything but lets not get crazy with this folks. I like Beyonce and I can understand her becoming Sasha and Christina becoming Baby Jane, as an extra boost of confidence or whatever, but to look back and claim you were " horrified", yeah, right, come on now B.

mika

I think that its crazy too but i have an alter ego too who is more confident and willing to try anything ;)

Tatyana

wHAT EVER

Alessa

Seriously. That is the funniest thing I've ever heard from a group of celebs.

I'd have to say that I've never loved any of them more than I do now.

What a bunch of weirdos. They're there for our entertainment, and they're doing a hell of a job.

Tatyana

ALL THESE SINGERS ROCK BUT BEYONCE NEED TO RESHOT THAT DE JAVU VIDEO ARE WHAT EVER THAT MESS WAS SHE DID IM REALLY MAD AT BEYONCE FOR THAT VIDEO SHE TO MAKE US PROUD

rod

hold up on the main page there is a picture that captions beyance with prince. thats not beyonce ( is it) if it is that is the worst picture i have ever seen ( of anyone)

Tiffany

For all you stupid people out there...these people are entertainers! That is what they do, they put on a show for you. Why should they be treated any different from actors because when they preform they too are another person. Why should it matter...I'll tell you what I have never left any of their (Christina, Beyonce, or Mary) concerts disappointed. As long as you get what you are paying for SHUT UP!

And for Tanzeema, I'm pretty sure you are not a saint yourself. You are on this site which is 100% gossip and if you are a woman (or man) of God, you would know gossip is a no no. SO GET A GRIP IT"S NOT THAT SERIOUS!!!!

Shannon

if you ask me, it sounds like theyre sktizo

Murk

I agree with Tanzeema, that's just an excuse for dancing and acting like a Ho! She'll do anything for attention now-a-days...

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3