BULLETIN: Gibson: "I'm Not an Anti-Semite"

8/1/2006 11:59 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Mel GibsonLOS ANGELES (AP) -- Mel Gibson says there's "no excuse" and there should be "no tolerance" for "anyone who thinks or expresses any kind of anti-Semitic remark." In a statement, Gibson says, "I want to apologize specifically to everyone in the Jewish community for the vitriolic and harmful words that I said to a law enforcement officer the night I was arrested on a D-U-I charge."

Gibson goes on to say, "I am not an anti-Semite. I am not a bigot. Hatred of any kind goes against my faith." He asks to meet with leaders of the Jewish community for what he calls a "one-on-one discussion" to find "the appropriate path for healing."

Click to read the Gibson's entire statement

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

anita barringer

come on.. the jewish community has been upset with mel since he pointed out CORRECTLY that history shows the jews helped crucify jesus! they are all for freedom of speech as long as whos talking is saying what they want. leave mel alone..only in hollywood can you get maligned for drinking! geez.. oh and btw.. which of the dirty cops let what was said out of the bag??? hummm??? i thought those POLICE REPORTS WERE PRIVATE!!!

Trish

He's disgusting. He hides his ugly nature behind those baby blues, but he's a bigot. Ya'all can deal with it any way you chose...but I've seen my last Gibson movie...

Laura Scharfenkamp

Sadly, Jesus said it best: "Out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks." Alcohol does not turn us into someone we are not. It reveals what's going on internally. One is in denial if you think otherwise.

I have always wondered if Mel was a for real believer. I have wanted to believe in him, and that he is. However, I am now very doubtful.

How can you be a devotee of Jesus, who was a Jew, who loved Jews and the Jewish scriptures, and make anti-semitic remarks? There is clearly an anti-semitic history in the Catholic church, and it is evil. As a Christian I want to tell every Jew and gentile, We gentile Christians are not anti-semitic. We are thankful for the Jewish people. We have great respect for their perseverance, as a people and as a nation.

Didn't Jesus go the cross for anyone's sins? Read the Bible Isaih 53, Romans 1-3. If Mel had read the New Testament and took it to heart, he'd have to choose between Jesus and anti-semitism. In true form, they are incompatible.

Forgiveness is right, if true repentence is obvious. But Mel, you better be honest with the world first before you apologize.

Lori Scharfenkamp -Michigan

Karen Frank

I think that anti-semitic is too harsh and specific. A person's judgement loosens up so much, drunk. They become more EVERYTHING; period. What a drunk person says is based upon the circumstances, and momentary perceptions. Were the circumstance involving a ballarina and candy corn, those items would have been passionately addressed, in drunken fashion.

"I love you, man!!" Duh...?!??!!

Huh...!!! ( Let him who has never said something they don't really mean cast the first stone. )

~ k

Len Bourret - Poet and Writer

The Mel Gibson Controversy
by Len Bourret (Copyright 2006)

I believe that Mel Gibson's legal sentence is appropriate.

As a Jewish person, who happens to be gay, I can only respond by saying that Mel Gibson has always been kind to me, to the Jewish community, and to the gay/Jewish community. He has not appeared to be anti-semetic, and has always been respectful to those around him--regarding of their ethic, racial, or sexual orientation. I believe that the alcoholic personality was talking, and not Mel Gibson.

As a human being, Jewish or Non-Jewish, I do not take offense to an otherwise gentle-and-kind Mel Gibson.

There are others who agree:

Sigourney Weaver Backs 'Decent Guy' Mel Gibson...r"Mel has apologized profusely for the incident and there the matter should rest. Mel has also indicated his willingness to seek help to overcome his alcoholism and has asked the Jewish community for forgiveness. What more can he do?" -- James Dobson

But, there are others who disagree. Here's what the San Diego CityBEAT has to say about the Mel Gibson controversy:
"First, the matter should not rest. The matter is a matter because it matters. Public discussion of Gibson%u2019s drunken conniption has people talking about important issues: anti-Semitism, drunken driving, sexism, alcoholism and favoritism in police treatment of the rich and famous. Even if Dobson forgives Gibson, he shouldn%u2019t call for the matter to be laid to rest%u2014because the matter is not just a matter of pity for poor, drunken-driving, Jew-hating, arrest-resisting, power-mongering Mel.

True, Dobson is accurate in reporting that Gibson has reached out to the Jewish community for forgiveness. Abraham Foxman, national director of the Anti-Defamation League, has even graciously offered to help Mel after he gets finished with rehab. But by not owning up to his anti-Semitism, doesn%u2019t Gibson%u2019s reaching out look a little bit like a desperate effort at damage control? And if Gibson is really about to begin this transformation into a decent person, the matter is the opposite of ready for a rest%u2014it%u2019s just starting to matter.

Second, Dobson asks, %u201CWhat more can he do?%u201D Lots, Jim. Let me share with you some of the suggestions from my fellow Jews, as reported by Jocelyn Noveck of the Associated Press, and then I%u2019ll respond to each suggestion and offer one of my own before I get in the car and drive (sober) to L.A. for a good bagel from Brooklyn Bagel..."

What do you think?

VeryLiberating.com

I guess all those things he said were just him acting then?

Jack

Good for you Mel. In time this will all blow over!

busybee

if it's genuine... good for you mel.

Dannie Hall

Sounds like to me, you have a hard on for Mel Gibson. Your reporting is very one-sided. I hate how you expose people's hardships for your story!!!!!!! Just report the facts!!!

GibsonFan

Those who drink and drink too much KNOW what alcohol does...you say things...sometimes hurtful things. And yes, maybe alcohol does bring out the deep seeded ugly truth....but you know, we're all human, we all make mistakes. Mel has made one (and probably not his first). He still has 'demons' to deal with. He's taking the right path by going to those he has wronged to ask forgiveness. We should not judge him...or pass judgement on him. Have anyone of us ever done what he's done? Said unkind things? If not, then who should throw the first stone.

harmlessandroid

If it goes against his faith, and he isn't a bigot or an anti-semite... why then, did the words so easily roll out of his drunken mouth?

Propper path to healing? Seek help and shut the fuck up.

Cameron

Mel Gibson has always appeared to be a straight shooter. I do agree that what he said was disgraceful and should be doing whatever he can to make that up. But folks, how many other "stars" haven't done the same thing or WORSE? Why crucify Mel? He screwed up big time, but you've reported far worse about other people before. Move on!!!

Jay

Good for you Mel!!!

How sad is this ? The price of BIG FAME ??

ABC just CANCELED HIS 'Holocaust Mini-series" -- GOOD THING !!

He's ruined his career in JEWISH HOLLYWOOD !

He gets what he deserves -- Mister "I OWN MALIBU" REALLY ???

I thought CHER and BARBRA STREISAND DID !!!

Virginia Singler

If this were someone like say Jane Fonda who had done this, it would be over and done with by now. Or someone like Jesse Jackson who has made several anti-semite remarks over the years. He made a mistake, I think you'll find everybody does that once and a while.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments