BULLETIN: Gibson: "I'm Not an Anti-Semite"

8/1/2006 11:59 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Mel GibsonLOS ANGELES (AP) -- Mel Gibson says there's "no excuse" and there should be "no tolerance" for "anyone who thinks or expresses any kind of anti-Semitic remark." In a statement, Gibson says, "I want to apologize specifically to everyone in the Jewish community for the vitriolic and harmful words that I said to a law enforcement officer the night I was arrested on a D-U-I charge."

Gibson goes on to say, "I am not an anti-Semite. I am not a bigot. Hatred of any kind goes against my faith." He asks to meet with leaders of the Jewish community for what he calls a "one-on-one discussion" to find "the appropriate path for healing."

Click to read the Gibson's entire statement

Geri

He needs to be lynched with this guy too! Anti-Semetic assholes!

Blaze1x

Mel should be totally crucified in the court of public opinion. His comments suggest a person who has a very strong hatred of Jews. I fully believe that most of the people who will rally against Mel in Hollywood are people who are angry with him, not for his comments/beliefs, but for the fact that he was stupid enough to say them in public.

sean

are you kidding me?! this fuck is under investigation for channeling money to pro-muslim groups in the middle east by the FBI! sayonara mel! here's your one-way ticket back to kangaroo-land! check out the following... it truly is unbelievable...

Chuck

**Mel Gibson says there's "no excuse" and there should be "no tolerance" for "anyone who thinks or expresses any kind of anti-Semitic remark." In a statement, Gibson says, "I want to apologize specifically to everyone in the Jewish community for the vitriolic and harmful words that I said to a law enforcement officer the night I was arrested on a D-U-I charge." **

Well, now we can add "Liar" to "Drunk" and "Anti-Semite" to the words that describe Mel Gibson. I don't believe for one minute that he DOESN'T hate Jews just like his lunatic father.

Steve

We all have our problems.... Alcoholism is just one example.... he was arreested for DUI, not DWI so its not like he was point blank drunk.... not that anyone should ever drive with even 1 drink in him..... but the guy has never been arrested for DWI ever.... even when he was arrested back in 1984 it was still DUI. As far as his Jewish comments.... who knows.... All I know is that he is a very religous and family life is very important to Mr. Gibson, like he said...his religion doesn't allow for hatred of that sort.

Its never about what one say's that tells the story of the truth.... one must go deeper for that. Only the heart can tell communicate a person's story.

Mel was under the influence when he was arrested, and he is very sorry... give the guy the benefit of the doubt until it is proven otherwise..... that is what Americans do!

Good Luck Mel

Steve Sutton- Blauvelt NY

NJDad

Too bad his car didn't roll down an embankment and burst into a fireball so we wouldn't have to listen to this a-hole's rantings anymore.

ALYSSA

He's going to have to accept he will never make everyone happy. If he goes to rehab, critics will say he's hiding. He apologizes and haters say it's not sincere. But if he didn't do any of these things, the haters will still think he's wrong. Sincere or not, the guy's doing what he can to make amends. Just shut up about it.

Lee

So, the Jewish community is expected to have to sit down with this guy so HE can begin healing? I hope they silently ignore his pleas for them to help him get over his innate bigotry. Alcohol doesn't suddenly change the core of one's being - it simply loosens the inhibitions that usually keep someone from unleashing their internal rage and anger.

His remarks in the past have raised a red flag about possible anti-semitism, this incident merely confirmed it.

Judy

The only reason I can even think that the media is making a bigger deal of this than it really is, must be because some big people in Hollywood want Mel Gibson to go down for this and probably wanted him to go down before this even happened. GIve me a break, already. The guy was drunk and like drunk people did and said stupid things. Perhaps he has an alcohol problem and needs some help but I am so tired of the media saying this is "career ending". The guy obviously has enormous talent to have been able to last in Hollywood all these years and what he said and did is not "career ending" and who cares if he called some cop "sugar tits"? That is not career ending either it is actually FUNNY!

Get over it already, Hollywood. Find another story to report on and leave Mel alone. He has more talent than Collin Farrel and look at all the stupid shit he says and does when he is drunk!

Plumbutt

I saw the Sawyer TV interview when he tried to convice the world that he wasn't a anti-semite, but he didn't seem any more convicing then, then he's trying to sound today.

Cheers,
Plumbutt
www.theplumbuttchronicles.com

WTF?

This is all just spin. In his drunken tirade, the truth came out. Now he is trying to clean up the crap.
Mel, used to love you, now I see you are just a bigot. What a shame.

Can we talk/hear/read about something else now?

racer

You people are naive beyond belief if you think his PR blitz now is indicative of his true feelings. But then again you did vote the moron king back into office in 2004 so what can we expect? I trust his unihibited comments under the effects of alcohol much more than any of the damage control going on now. As far as his anti-semitism which is a fact based on his own statements while under truth serum (i.e. alcohol), who cares? If its a personal belief and doesn't effect his job or those around him what does it matter? A lot of ugliness lives in us all and is only kept in check by our social filter. See mel for who he really is and either accept or reject it. But don't tell me your going to be taken in by all the PR spin control going on now.... Do you honestly think he'd be in rehab right now if the cops had done the apparently normal 'oh its mel and he's balsted, send him home' routine? No its only after he f'd things up beyond belief in front of the entire world that he suddenly felt the need to 'get help'... LOL!!!!

JT

Mel is right: there should be no tolerance for people who express anti-Semitic remarks. Thus, I do not tolerate Mel Gibson.

mfinbh

Just in case anyone still needed the definition of chutzpah!

pityforu

I know what I said but it wasn't what I meant--Come on Mel, it is what it is. You don't like Jews. The only difference now is they all don't like you back. Hollywood has taken notice--and it will unite against you.

Your mouth is a lethal weapon!