Bruce Willis Says He's the Victim of a Shakedown

8/2/2006 11:52 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Bruce WillisTMZ has obtained a lawsuit filed by actor Bruce Willis against one of his childhood friends, claiming the friend is attempting a "shakedown."

The suit, filed Tuesday in Los Angeles County Superior Court, claims that Bruce DiMattia and Willis were childhood friends. Court documents allege that in 2002, Willis offered DiMattia a job. From then, until mid-2006, he was employed by Willis. One of DiMattia's responsibilities, the documents state, was to "organize private family photographs, videotapes, DVDs and films depicting Willis and his family members." Willis also says by nature of DiMattia's employment, he "acquired knowledge of certain highly personal, private and confidential information" about Willis and his family. The suit says that in addition to "other compensation" paid to DiMattia, DiMattia lived rent free in a home owned by Willis.

The suit says that after the termination of DiMattia's employment, he refused to move out of the home owned by Willis and has "wrongfully retained possession" of certain private photos and videos. The suit also claims that DiMattia informed Willis that he had "surreptitiously prepared a book manuscript" which features private information about the star which contains what Willis says are "several falsehoods and lies that could embarrass [him]" and that this manuscript has allegedly already been shown to at least three book publishing companies. Willis says that DiMattia has "threatened to unlawfully exploit private family photographs and memorabilia belonging to Mr. Willis, and to sell a manuscript containing lies about Mr. Willis" unless Willis "agrees to pay him over $100,000 and buy him a car." The suit claims these allegations constitute extortion and violate Willis' right of privacy.

Willis is seeking an excess of $1 million in damages and asks for return of Willis' private mementos, or if they cannot be delivered, a sum no less that $50,000.

Click here to read the court documents.

Sharon

This is sad. And getting to be too common an occurrence.
In this day and age with audio and video tapes being made through hidden cameras in people's homes or rented spaces, or in Bruce Willis' case ,video taping etc., with his permission, although for his personal viewing only, just proves that there is no sense of respect for anyone's privacy or personal rights any more.
It's disgusting to rob anyone of their personal freedom and rights because another person thinks it's amusing or they don't like someone or think that they can get something out of it for themselves, like money in this case.
Spying on people, humiliating, degrading, hurting and embarassing them and taking it upon one's self to ruin that person's life is WRONG. No matter who you are or aren't and no matter what the circumstances! This man will probably do whatever he wants to do with this private family memorabilia whether he's sued or not. People like that pervert have issues about control, for lack of a better word, and no one should ever shame or humiliate anyone for any reason, and certainly not as a means of controlling that individual's life Why have the desire to control another persons life or take it upon ones self to decide the quality of another person's life?
I hope someone will do the right thing here and protect Bruce Willis and his family.
And that idiot of a "friend" should keep in mind that what goes around comes around! One day that man will have these issues and more show up at his door.

Been There

I am wondering how often this type of thing goes on day to day.
It's plain Mr Willis befriended a man who took with one hand and now wants to stab him in the back with the other.

Alot of the comments seem to be from people who covet what Mr Willis has attained in his lifetime.

So what if he have wealth and fame?

He owes nobody but is generous to a fault and now look what his reward is

I believe Mr Willis to be a rational man.

Certainly one does not expect a friend to betray them when they share things.

Did Mr Willis contribute to this sad state of affairs?

I think not

I think this is a classic example of a quote I'll paraphrase here.

"Neither a borrower or lender be. For loan doth often loose itself and friend"

Hurrah for you Mr Willis.

Shame on you Mr DiMattia

justpicky

CELEBS KNOW NOT TO TRUST ANYONE , BUT THEY DO IT ANYWAYS. THAT'S WHY THEY MAKE THERE "EMPLOYEES" SIGN A CONFIDENTAL CLAUSE. BRUCE IS OLD ENOUGH TO UNDERSTAND ALL THIS .
THERE'S ALWAYS "THREE" STORIES , BRUCE , HIS FRIEND AND THERE'S.

I THINK CELEBS SET THERESELVES UP FOR PUBLICITY. THERE ARE TO MANY CELEBS WHO DOES THIS .

CELEBS HIRE THERE FAMILY / FRIENDS ALL THE TIME .

LOOK AT TORI SPELLING , JESSICA / ASHLEY SIMPSONS , LINDSEY LOHAN , ETC................... LIST GOES ON AND ON ...............

sstidham

I think Bruce is a great actor in most films.But come on he is a human being first of all who dosint nee that treatment, Hope he puts the guy in his place. Love ya Bruce. Sharon S

Wendy

GO BRUCE!!!! To many stars don't sue when close friends BREAK the Law, which is a major point here!! Also, too many are embarassed or worried about their carreers!! The saddest part is this jerk was SUPPOSED to be a friend--Shame on those who don't go after their own family members that are quilty of extortion, unless they don't understand what the word meams!! Again, Let Bruce show you how it's done correctly!! Evryone is entitled to some bit, however small, of privacy in their lives. despite how famous anyone is!! As usual, Bruce has to set an example for the rest of the idiots that are paying people quilty of extortion and getting away with it right now as we read this!!
GO BRUCE!!!! SHOW THEM THE CONSEQUENCES!!

Wendy

If Bruce W. Has 7 to 8 close freinds from childhood, then they must have known this guy also!! He'll get what's coming to him some time when Bruce's (ahem) back is turned! Then he'll see what real freinds are, and how they go about protecting a true freinds privacy!! In the end he will get what's due him in many more ways than just the courts
could ever do! In the process, I expect he'll learn how "TRUE " freinds
treat, respect and protect each other!! Hard way to learn Bruce, but go after him with all of your usual zeal and we wish you good luck!!

Wendy

Hey Dee-try living on disability with a mortgage and only ONE house,
and still get taken for more than $14,000 (inheritence) by a "freind" that you were only trying to help?? (Just tell me as the police did, that I was "too nice" to this person!!! You can't win either way anymore!!
Try it sometime and you might understand more about helping others!!

JJPTF

I don't necessarily believe "grown" has anything to do with this. If someone is trusting and cares enough to extend a helping hand to an assumed buddy, does this mean they are not grown? Hope he has learned a lesson. He should have obtained a signed document to prevent the so called friend from revealing private and personal photos, etc. Not that this always works, but he would have made a stronger case.
by Jnn

Whatever

Thats too bad! It seems like you can't trust anyone now a days!

Mel Gibson

Okay, okay, so I made some comments about the Jews. What can I say? I don't like 'em. I had some cocktails and some good times with a few ladies, then drove home. So what?! I'm Mel Gibson and I'm worth over a billion dollars. I'll do what I want, when I want, so deal with it!

Hey, at least I'm not a racist. I like all races, in fact. I don't care if you have black skin with a Chinese face, and you're a hermaphradite. But there's just something about those Jews that bother me. I mean, they're always starting wars and what not. What's up with that?! Heck, Harvey and friends at TMZ are trying to start one with me right now! See what I mean? They must be Jews!

And what is this Holocost thing I keep hearing about? My dad told me that was as made up as Tom Cruise's religion, or as realistic as my dog learning how to speak Yiddish!

Don't even get me started on the whole "cheap" stereotype.

And so what if I called that female officer sugar tits? She had a great rack! I mean, what else should I have called her? Puss-in-boots? So now I'm sexist, too? You're damn right I am. I would have loved to have played with those floppers! And I'll tell you something else, I could have hit that because I'm Mel Gibson, I'm a billionaire, and I'm What Women Want.

As for you Harvey and your fellow staff at TMZ, you keep right on writing about me. You probably have nothing better to do. My public apologies are all a facade invented by my publicist anyway. You really think I'm going to change how I feel just because I may have "slipped up" by declaring it publicy? HA! Never!!!! I just take pride in the fact that I know you've spent your own hard-earned money to see lots of my sweet -ass movies, and that money is now in my bank account collecting lots of interest. So, if you ARE Jewish, aka cheap, I'll bet that bothers you some, doesn't it? Um, er, okay, I know I said I wouldn't go there, but I just couldn't resist. I'm sure my publicist will write my apology to you in my next televised lie. In the meantime, keep beatin' that dead horse!

Love, Mel (unless your Jewish, then just keep seeing my movies)

BLONDEVIXEN

tsk tsk bruce... could this be another stupid pet publicity stunt? vixen

Sarina Sweezer

I think whatever happened to him is his fault.
Leave the past in the past. If i had a friend who I grew up with and I became a hollywood superstar (unlessen it's gale king )they would get NOTHING from me and you better belive I would know their ass no more. Once something good happens to you in you life everybody who you used to know you now hates your damn guts . I don't care if it's your brother he now hates your damn guts , and can't wait to bring you down. I don't understand how he dosenot know that!

JJ

Maybe Bruce should start a website -- getaclue.com!! Why would you turn private photos over to someone else?? That's what he gets for being so stupid! Just another frivilous lawsuit that will get lost in the masses.

Sam Doe

This reminds me of that video of Tom Cruise's ex in which she describes doing it with him "flamingo style" and says that before they could have sex, Tom's lawyers made her sign a 43-page contract -- with 13 pages outlining the conditions for oral sex alone!

kat

and this is why you never hire a childhood friend..a friend in childhood does not equal a friend in adulthood. this is also why you never let an outsider get close to your personal info..especially if they can profit from it!!! DUH BRUCE!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments