Actor Bruno Kirby Dies at 57

8/15/2006 10:28 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Bruno KirbyLOS ANGELES (AP) -- Bruno Kirby, a veteran character actor who costarred in "When Harry Met Sally," "City Slickers" and many other films, has died at age 57, his wife said Tuesday.

Kirby died Monday in Los Angeles from complications related to leukemia, according to a statement from his wife, Lynn Sellers. He had recently been diagnosed with the disease.

"We are incredibly grateful for the outpouring of support we have received from Bruno's fans and colleagues who have admired and respected his work over the past 30 years," his wife said. "Bruno's spirit will continue to live on not only in his rich body of film and television work but also through the lives of individuals he has touched throughout his life."

Kirby was perhaps best known for his roles opposite Billy Crystal in 1989's "When Harry Met Sally" and 1991's "City Slickers."

Other film credits included "Good Morning, Vietnam," "The Godfather: Part II" and "Donnie Brasco." More recently, he played Phil Rubenstein on the HBO series "Entourage."

ValjGra

How sad! Bless his family!

Keith L. Dick

That is so sad, he was a funny guy... :(

Stinky

My deepest heartfelt condolences go out to Bruno Kirby's family in this difficult time of sorrow.

kirby bruno

Man, Bruno got f'ing fat.

ONE WHO KNOWS

GOD BLESS YOU, BRUNO!
AND THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES.....

Johnny B

Bruno was awesome! What a terrible loss... deepest sympathy for the family.

Murph

He was a talented actor and seemed like a genuinely nice guy. Fifty-seven is too young to die. I will say a prayer for him and his family.

KJ

I'm really sorry to hear the passing of Bruno Kirby. I enjoyed Bruno's acting in "When Harry Met Sally" very much. Having cancer myself, I understand that each day is precious. My prayers and heartfelt symphaties to the Kirby family.

K.C.

Always had a little crush on him. Loved his work. Truly funny. I'm sad he won't be around to give us any more of himself as an actor.

lala

Bruno in Godfather II was awesome. He spoke in Italian all the way through.
I was amazed since I saw Godfather II after Slickers.

My condolences to his family.

effie

I'm sorry to see him pass. I always liked the roles he played. He was a very memorable actor. He will be missed

Alix

Rest in Peace, you great character actor!

Caprice

Our deepest condolences to his family. Bruno Kirby was a very talented actor and he was just amazing in Godfather II speaking in the Sicilian dialect and was hilarious in When Harry Met Sally...he will be sadly missed by all. Rest In Peace.

candiru acu

My deepest sympathy to his wife, Lynn and especially his father, Bruce.
How diificult it must be to lose a child at any age.

Esther Kustanowitz

I was shocked to read this--I didn't even know he had leukemia. Just re-watched WHMS last weekend and loved it (again). He was pitch-perfect as Harry's best friend and I agree with the other commenters that his work (as the young Clemenza, right?) in Godfather II was stellar.

So sad for the family and for the industry. May they take comfort in knowing that he reached so many of us through his work.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments