Clooney Rides the (Green) Lightning

8/17/2006 2:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

George Clooney certainly puts his money where his mouth is, especially when it comes to cars.
George Clooney
The acclaimed actor, director and activist has purchased not just one, but two electric vehicles. However, these vehicles aren't the stereotypical electric cars with wimpy power and body stylings better suited for a George Foreman grill. These are high performance rides.

The first vehicle in Clooney's stable is the Tango, which looks more like a filing cabinet than a legal street machine. In fact, the car is five inches narrower than the Honda Goldwing motorcycle. But size doesn't seem to matter when it zooms from 0-60 mph in four seconds. To put that kind of blazing speed into perspective, the new Corvette Z06 does 0-60 mph in 3.5 seconds. The two-seat vehicle can also lane-split per California law. Maybe the ability to weave in and out of LA traffic will keep the star from being late to movie shoots.
Tesla Raodster
Now, if Clooney would rather blaze the streets in an environmentally safe ride that looks more like a Lotus or Porsche, well, he has that covered as well with the electric-powered Tesla Roadster. The hot convertible is the brainchild of Tesla Motors, based in Northern California. (The company has no discernible connection to the Sacramento-based hard rock legends.) Even though the $100,000 cars won't be available until mid-2007, the inaugural 100 vehicles have already sold out. Just like the Tango, the Tesla Roadster goes from 0-60 mph in 4 seconds.

Even though Clooney isn't the only "green" actor out there -- Leonardo DiCaprio famously drives a Prius -- he's certainly the fastest.

Jerry Graves

To all naysayers think of Thomas Edison at 16 years old,his first invention of the automatic repeater for the telegraph. This his first inventionis is one of the first steps on the way to the invention of the computer. I hope that the Tesla will be the first step in destroying Big Oil and creating a path to a cleaner world.

shodson

I'm all for more electric cars in the market place. Putting celebs in these will help bring exposure to electric cars. I'm tired of sending my gasoline money to enriching terrorists and dictators of petro-rich nations.

Terah in New Mexico

George Clooney can drive whatever he wants as far as I am concerned. He is the most gorgeous man in the world. I would love to have the pleasure of meeting him and share a wonderful bottle of wine sometime while I am in California.

Mitch

PU-LEEEEEZZZEEE! Electric cars run on very expensive battery packs...people can boast all about their 50mpg vechiles, but I'm sure they will be crying their eyes out when they have to fork over 6 grand to replace those battery packs which have a less than 4 year lifespan! Want to really do something to save the enviroment? WALK, RIDE A BIKE OR JUST PLAIN STAY HOME!

Emma

George Honey, you can drive anything your little heart desires as long as you let me drive my Monte Carlos!!!!!

karl

Dicaprio drives a prius? But when the papparrazi follow him when he gets pulled over by L.A.P.D. he 's driving a Suburban with lots of friends in it. Just another lying hypocryte. (i saw it on entertainment tv or some such papparazi show.

pudit

Does anyone at AOL have an idea who Nicoli Tesla was?

Sandi

George has worked hard to get where he is now... He can drive whatever the "Heck" he wants!!! And he is Hot too!!!

Dsco

Wow such vindictive comments..Why's everyone so sour ? By the way # 15 it has batteries...And #10 it handles better then a lot of " sports cars". It's actually quite a vehicle.. I know it's not for everyone, But non the less it is rather remarkable. Read up on it and you may find it makes sense. Perhaps if a neighbor had one, rather then a movie star some comments would be less critical.

izzy

Hey #3...George Clooney was born in Ohio dummy! Plus, he's parents came of age in the 40's & 50's, moron!!! Jesus! Get a f'n clue!

umyeah

I think it's wonderful that he is trying to do his part to help the environment...Not to mention the Tango is adorable!! I wish I could afford one!
Some of these posts remind me of my father in law...who thinks recycling is a huge money wasting scam, organic foods are terribly bad for you, because they remove all the nutrients, and discussing how stupid electric cars are is worth waking the entire household yelling about at 6am...

MARIE PIKE

I WOULD LOVE TO BE ABLE TO RIDE IN ONE OF THOSE LITTLE ELECTRIC CARS BUT WHERE WOULD I PUT MY ELECTRIC WHEELCHAIR WHICH I AM CONFINED TO. ITS NEARLY AS BIG AS THE SMALL CAR BUT WITHOUT THE SPEED.........DARN. ANYONE GOT A SOLUTION FOR ME?

ohm

Have any one of us actually met George Clooney....yet we can afford to make cracks about him and his ideals or that he's actually trying to do some small part in helping out. Maybe he isnt a tree hugger....but he actually is trying to use his influence for something positive. Good for him...and thanks....maybe my kids
will be able to breathe better due to cleaner air...only if the rest of you who like to pollute the air with insults and judgement would take notice.

Dabney

Clooney's just doing this in hope of propping up his dwindling fan base. He just wouldn't attract any attention in a Toyota Prius. I don't either, but who gives a crap I still love m car.

MARY ODOM

GEORGE HAS PLENTY MONEY AND IF HE WANTS TO SPEND IT THAT WAY; SO BE IT. HE'S A GOOD-LOOKING MAN NO MATTER WHAT HE DRIVES. I LIKE HIM.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments