Katie to CBS Viewers -- How Do I Say Goodbye?

9/5/2006 8:26 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

We'll have to settle for just one of two big answers tonight: A knee-length black dress topped by a fitted white jacket. As for the other, you may in fact be the one to decide.

Katie Couric made her long-gestating and heavily-hyped debut on "The CBS Evening News," and she began by quickly answering the question about her wardrobe and wrapped up by avoiding the question about what her signature sign-off would be, asking viewers to make suggestions. The opening featured a voiceover by Couric's predecessor, Walter Cronkite.

As for the rest of the broadcast, CBS correspondent Lara Logan and Hulk Hogan both figured prominently, as did Suri Cruise. But producers clearly meant to convey the seriousness of their journalistic intention by delving into a multi-segment story about the Taliban (where Logan went into a Taliban camp) and the War on Terror, which included a sit-down interview with New York Times columnist Thomas Friedman. In fact, while CBS' lead story was nearly ten minutes long, ABC's "World News" was cycling through several of the day's top stories, including the Ford Motor Company CEO's resignation and a piece about oil prices.

On the lighter side, Couric Day One also showed us the first photos of Suri Cruise in Vanity Fair magazine and included an op-ed-style commentary by filmmaker Morgan Spurlock which invoked wrestler Hulk Hogan in an orthographically confusing segment titled freeSpeech. (Rush Limbaugh will be the mouthpiece on Thursday.) And Couric deferred her decision on a signature sign-off, putting the ball squarely in her audience's court. For tonight, she went with, "I'm Katie Couric, thank you so much for watching, and I hope to see you tomorrow night."

We'd like you to give you the chance to help Katie decide, so take a stab at our suggestions.

Gloria Howell

katie's sign off should be and there you have it it is what it is goodnight everyone

Mike Clark

Katie's sign off could be ; - From our CBS Family to yours,Good night !---or Good Night , from our CBS Family to yours......

Posted at 8:04 AM Pacific Standard Time by M.Clark

I am saddened to see all of the very hateful and rude comments !

Kathryn Wood

IKatie Couric did a wonderful job her first night. I love her bubbly personality. I thought she looked quite nice also. I would like to see her sign of as she did the other night:

"Thanks You so much , Katie Couric"

Kimberly

After waiting for the high anticipated debut, I fell asleep just before it came on. Dang it! I will be awake tonight tho'. I must say I don't know what to expect with all the reviews and comments but as far as a sign off she should just stick to what she said last night "I'm Katie Couric, thank you so much for watching, and I hope to see you tomorrow night.". That sounds good to me. Too much effort for a good bye is ridiculous. Seriously, now.

Susan Lewis

I lost interest in Katie, when she decided that she didn't like "Ann", so that when she was leaving the Today Show, she decided that Ann Curry wouldn't be replacing her on the courch with Matt Lauer. It was one thing to have the opportunity to do the evening news. It was another, to determine that she did not get along with Ann Curry and therefore there would have to be another person (also chosen by Katie) to take her place. There were other people in her position before anyone ever heard about her. Just who doe she think she is?

Eli

For Katies sign off:
1.Good night, now to gets mine.
2.Adios, blow me viewers.
3.Rich bitch out.
4.Stupid is what stupid does.
5.I love me some good booty.

Eli

Do you people actually think she is going to read this s....*! Come on people that lady is loaded, right now shes probably getting a foot massage while you idiots think that she is going to actually say what you are writing, god people are so stupid, I mean really ,no wonder TMZ comes up with this s...*!!

Joseph

How about : Eat Sh*t America I'm Getting Paid

dom

Glad there is another broadcasting station that has nightly world news that I can watch instead of that donkey laugh woman Katie Couric.

Renee

Why does she talk with her mouth sideways? Actually a lot of newscasters do this....why????? It drives me crazy

KJ

The COMMENTS are really mean -- most of you have NO mercy. I hate to think that some of you are my neighbors and appear friendly on the outside, BUT hate and ugliness are in your INSIDES. If you are ever given a well deserved job, would you like people to boo you and wish you the worse. Hate is such a venom.

casey

Hey #8-KATIE COURIC IS A NICE PIECE OF ASS? That tells me you've never really had a nice piece of ass-LOL!!!!!!!

RON HOSKING

HOW ABOUT
FOR C.B.S. THIS IS KATIE.

GOOD NIGHT AND GOD BLESS

Donna Thrippleton

Katie,
I have been reading the comments and have to agree. I hope you can overcome the negative comments. Maybe its because we haven't seen you in this mode before, but you didn't come off too well. First thing you need to do is fire your make up srtist. I would hate to see how you looked in real life that day. I was so distracted by the make up I couldn't concentrate on what you were saying. I have never been a fan of evening news and will not give up Rachel Ray to watch you. Sorry.

Cabo

I couldn't care less about Katie Couric. I'm posting only to say that if she's in the business to report serious news and to be RESPECTED, one need not enlist the help of the viewing audience to decide on one's sign-off. It's just a publicity stunt to get people involved. It should be about THE NEWS; not about KATIE. Blecch!