Katie to CBS Viewers -- How Do I Say Goodbye?

9/5/2006 8:26 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

We'll have to settle for just one of two big answers tonight: A knee-length black dress topped by a fitted white jacket. As for the other, you may in fact be the one to decide.

Katie Couric made her long-gestating and heavily-hyped debut on "The CBS Evening News," and she began by quickly answering the question about her wardrobe and wrapped up by avoiding the question about what her signature sign-off would be, asking viewers to make suggestions. The opening featured a voiceover by Couric's predecessor, Walter Cronkite.

As for the rest of the broadcast, CBS correspondent Lara Logan and Hulk Hogan both figured prominently, as did Suri Cruise. But producers clearly meant to convey the seriousness of their journalistic intention by delving into a multi-segment story about the Taliban (where Logan went into a Taliban camp) and the War on Terror, which included a sit-down interview with New York Times columnist Thomas Friedman. In fact, while CBS' lead story was nearly ten minutes long, ABC's "World News" was cycling through several of the day's top stories, including the Ford Motor Company CEO's resignation and a piece about oil prices.

On the lighter side, Couric Day One also showed us the first photos of Suri Cruise in Vanity Fair magazine and included an op-ed-style commentary by filmmaker Morgan Spurlock which invoked wrestler Hulk Hogan in an orthographically confusing segment titled freeSpeech. (Rush Limbaugh will be the mouthpiece on Thursday.) And Couric deferred her decision on a signature sign-off, putting the ball squarely in her audience's court. For tonight, she went with, "I'm Katie Couric, thank you so much for watching, and I hope to see you tomorrow night."

We'd like you to give you the chance to help Katie decide, so take a stab at our suggestions.

Kay Lang

Good try Katie, but I fear your status as a CBS anchor woman will be "going down the tube" soon. Yes you have super legs (which they didnt let us forget) and a great grin but that doesn't qualify you for the prime time National News slot. Your debut will have a lot of us 'butting' out, and back to our regular favorites, Brian, Charlie and John S. , weekend reporter on NBC.
CBS must be in the throes of desperation to have spent all the time and money prior to your debut last night. Also I believe you were quoted as "my 10 year old convinced me to take this position". That figures!

Miriam

I ran home to see her news report and was very disappointed. I thought the whole program was like one of those news magazine shows, not hard news and certainly no competition for the other networks. The show was a lot of "fluff". Although I have been a supporter of Katie while she was on the Today show, I think she will have to become a little more professional in the way she carries herself in order to be taken seriously. That piece on the public deciding her "sign off" made her even less credible. If she is supposed to be journalist and taken seriously then she is going to have to change her presentation.

Kay Lang

Eli

Some people sound like they walk with something stuck up their ass, come on dont be so uptight this lady doesnt read this crap, she doesnt care what people say, she still gets paid and 100 times better than most of us on this s...*.
So dont defend her so much like she even will aknowlodge your existence, so if we are neighbors or not, Im sure Im more realistic than most of you!

scott

There was a time when the news was about what people should know and not what they wanted to know. But, that ended with focus groups.

Don't Blame Katie. Blame CBS. Even though she thinks WAY too highly of herself (verified by people I know who have worked with her), she is giving us what we want.

As for a sign-off, how about "Thank you for playing along in this charade. Aren't we having fun together?"

Bill Davis

She should sign off with:

Peace Within.

Simple and to the point.

I thought she was excellent and if you have great legs, show them off.

Sherry

I think that Katie is gonna make an incredible journalist! WTG Katie! And forget about all of the negative feedback, they're just jealous, and need to grow up!

J. Fisher

I think of nothing but bad words for the jerks who are writing the comments. Katie will succeed at CBS, however the jerks who are responding to the comment page are too stupid to excell. In other words, I admire Katie.

Chloe

Wow, some of you folks are taking this a bit seriously. How about you give her more than one broadcast to get herself together. Geez....

Linda

I think she should sign off --- "I'm Katie Couric - Goodnight and God Bless"!

coreene

les moonves, you biffed it big time. and fluffier and katie would be having a catfight with your wife re who gets to be the next Big Brother host.

Suzanne De Palma

I enjoyed watching the news looking at a face which looks very much like a woman friend or co-worker I would have and enjoy spending time with. Katie is smart but not too smart. Nice looking, but not too nice looking. And I know that she will have to do a job twice as good to be considered half as good as a male counterpart. She will draw criticism just as Hillary Clinton has. Just because she is a woman forging ahead into new territory. Good for her! She has guts as well as empathy. I think Katie should sign off just the way she did last night. She sounded warm and comfortable with the words. It's the way I always say good bye to my friends and co-workers at the end of the day. " Good bye. Have a good night. Stay safe. And I'll see you tomorrow."

Edward Spencer

I hope Katie gets a chance to read this SIGN OFF for her--with twenty thousand and more chances are slim that the best would be missed!

"Wishing you a better tomorrow than today". Good night!

M. N. Body

Katie, Come on! You don't know how to end your show? How about by starting with good, honest reporting -- the kind that takes off the "filters" and allows your audience to analyize and synthesize information and then reach an independent decision? Bring back the art of reporting; makes us proud. Then wish us good luck! We all need some of that.

Tony febbo

I thought Katie was very stiff on her delivery, the news was not very interesting, nothing that they thought was new didn't impress me. I will not become a regular viewer in fact will not watch it again. I will continue to watch NBC which seems more professional