Suri Cruise

Asian Baby?

9/6/2006 12:37 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

suri_cruise_2The first pictures of Suri appeared in Vanity Fair magazine today, and on the CBS Evening News last night, and our initial analysis of the long-awaited pictures has led us, and more than a few casual and professional observers, to the same conclusion -- that somewhere in the gene pool of Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes, some Asian influence has crept in. (As Jossip cheekily posits, "In six years, Vanity Fair will have the story about why Suri has Lucy Liu's eyes." And Gawker posted an Asiatic-looking parody shot of the baby that subsequently spread around the Internet and prompted a disclaimer.)

The delicate, almond-shaped eyes, the milky, pale-ish skin tone, the striking mane of dark, dark hair -- these are the characteristics that have pointed us down this line of inquiry. (It should be noted that, yes, babies tend to look fairly like one another at this early stage, but still.) As far as we can determine, there isn't any Asian blood in either Tom or Katie's family, but that doesn't mean some Far Eastern seed hasn't seeped in somewhere along the way.

Of course, if her parents were really Asian at all, they'd probably have taken into consideration that Suri means "pickpocket" in Japanese and something very close to "renovation" in Korean. That wouldn't be such an auspicious beginning.

keiko

i am asian. and no, suri doesn't look asian. her eyes are katie's. her skin is not yellow like asian skin is. suri is such a beautiful baby. r u guys so fixated on asians that u want everybody to look asian? what's up with that? u critics can't tell asians from non-asians. shame on you. shame on you guys for picking on an innocent baby (and a very beautiful one i might add). u guys are just jealous.

Karen

Personally, I think she is beautiful AND exotic looking just like her mother.

Kackie

I agree with TMZ. As soon as I saw the baby I thought it looked Asian with blue eyes. I still think they adopted a baby after a pretend pregnancy but that's just me. The baby IS very cute, beautiful smile. But I don't think it's Tom's or Katie's. And now that I look closer I see that the poster who said, "is she wearing a wig" is closer than they think. I laughed out loud... it sure DOES look like a hairpiece! haha

Jay

From Vanity Fair...................................

NEW YORK, N.Y.%u2014In a private conversation with Vanity Fair features editor Jane Sarkin, Katie Holmes tells her that "it's been heartbreaking" to see what's being said in the press about her family and her baby. "Some of the crap that's out there%u2014the stuff that's said about my parents and my siblings [tabloid accounts implied that Katie's family did not hit it off with Tom]%u2014it's really frustrating the amount of sh*t that's out there. And the stuff they say about Suri?! You shouldn't say that about us, and you can't say that about my child."

Holmes explains that the gossip "eats away at me because it's just not O.K.," but that she keeps up on it because "this is my future. This is my family, and I care so much about them. To see how someone as caring and good as Tom is%u2014to see how things can just get so twisted and turned around. I mean, where does it come from?"

Sarkin spent five days with the Cruise-Holmes extended family at Cruise's Telluride, Colorado, compound, sharing meals, taking hikes, and hanging out. Bella and Connor, whom Cruise and Nicole Kidman adopted during their marriage, were there, as well as Holmes's mother and father, Cruise's mother and sister, and other family members.

Sarkin reports that Cruise and Holmes coo over the baby like any new parents. "She has Kate's lips and eyes," Tom says of the baby. "I think she looks like Kate." Holmes counters, "I think she has Tom's eyes. I think she looks like Tom."

"I was overjoyed in being pregnant," Holmes tells Sarkin, "and then had to withstand ridicule about my pregnancy when it was the most normal, non-controversial thing imaginable." Of speculation in the press, Holmes says, "All those things were invented."

Holmes explains their purchase of an in-house sonogram machine to Sarkin, saying that they were followed by paparazzi and as a result her doctor had to make house calls. "The sonogram was for his use!" she says.

Leading up to the frenzy over the pictures, "we were just living our lives, being a family," Cruise says. "Actually, we were taking our own photos and always planned to release those at the right time." But "then all the craziness began," Holmes says. "This 'Where is Suri?' controversy. Tom and I looked at each other and said, 'What's going on?' We weren't trying to hide anything."

"It seemed only natural to have Annie take the first public photographs of Suri," says Cruise of their decision to allow Leibovitz to photograph the baby. "Annie is the only professional photographer who ever shot Bella and Connor as children."

"The moment the doctor handed me Suri," Holmes tells Sarkin, "I was just ready. The feeling is indescribable. All I can say is the moment I looked in her eyes I felt like ... Mom." Holmes continues: "She's a glorious girl. She's the miracle of our life."

The October issue of Vanity Fair hits newsstands in New York and Los Angeles on September 6, and nationally by September 12.

taRa

that was just stupid! that baby does not look asian. tmz, you just sound stupid! get a life! you are making fun of a baby!!! i mean come on!
that baby is perfect. she's so pretty!

Z

Enough is enough already!!!!! No child is asked to be brought into this world and to degrade and humiliate a defenseless human being is unacceptable! I think the Tom & Katie jokes have run their course. Leave them alone already and focus your attention on what's going on in the world, like Iraq, Dafur, etc. Sure we all like to get updated on the latest celeb gossip but instead of trying to find out if Suri has any "Asian" blood how about trying to find out what happened to the weapons of mass destruction.

Deborah

This Baby is beautiful,regardless of all the rumors ! Tom and Katie are proud parents> Leave them alone.As for the hair it's gorgeous.. all 3 of my kids had a head full just like that .Stop trying to bring hate into this family when all they are trying to do is celebrate life!!!

dp

Jeez!!! Give them a break you kept bitchin' about not seeing her now you see her and you still gotta be hatin' she looks like both of them she has katies eyes. Give them a break no wonder they waited so long to show her to us.

Rebecca

I agree with 14. She does look like she's wearing a wig. She had coal black hair and then right up front it's light brown. I mean, really light brown. Either way, she is a cute baby. But then again, all babies are cute.

Irish Mother

She has eyes just like my babies had...Irish eyes! Now leave that beautiful baby alone and let her grow up healthy and normal, not malajusted because of all the hideous gossip posted about her and her parents!

get a life people

She is very pretty and leave it up to TMZ to think she is Asian.....You people really need to get a life...Why not report something good going on in the world....

Gerry Hoag

I agree with No. 14. That most definitely in not her hair.

Cattie

I don't give a hoot what anyone says BUT THAT BABY LOOKS ASIAN!

It's nothing against Cruise & Holmes & Suri, I wish them all the best and Suri is beautiful.

Dee

The baby is a beautiful baby, she takes after both her parents. You guys need to leave does poor people alone........they have their own issues to deal wit. lol I know this is your business, but try mind it sometimes, lol. luv ya Dee

Sue

She's beautiful! But your comments are obnoxious. I hope the pictures and Katie's honest vulnerability will help bring an end to the constant crap they've received. How are people to survive such cruelty? These are real people. It's been awful. Bless you Cruise family. Good job Tom and Katie.