Croc Hunter Gets No Tears From PETA

9/11/2006 9:07 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Steve Irwin mugs for the cameras.Fans the world over have been mourning the tragic death of Steve Irwin, but not, evidently, the animal lovers at PETA.

This morning, the animal lovers group's Dan Mathews says that it's "no shock at all" that Irwin died the way he did, and he's also branded Irwin a "cheap reality TV star."

Irwin died last week after being impaled by a stingray while filming a TV documentary, and was buried Saturday in a private ceremony on Saturday at the Australia Zoo, the animal park where he and his family tended lovingly to hundreds of creatures. But despite his reputation as a naturalist and conservationist, the Crocodile Hunter's on-screen antics clearly irked the animal lovers at PETA, according to MSNBC's Jeannette Walls.

"He made a career out of antagonizing frightened wild animals," says PETA's Mathews, "which is a very dangerous message to send to kids." And Mathews sniffs that Irwin's career wasn't particularly impressive – at least not to him: "If you compare him with a responsible conservationist like Jacques Cousteau, he looks like a cheap reality TV star."

Paris Pulls a Lohan on "Bottoms"

The Hollywood nightlife continues to take its toll on starlets and their punctuality. Simona Fusco, one of the co-star's of Paris Hilton's latest film, the straight-to-DVD "Bottoms Up," which arrives tomorrow, tells Page Six that Paris was "always late on the set... By the time Paris finally showed up, she was usually coming from a party ... Not only does she show up late, but on top of it she didn't have her lines ready to go." But what of Paris' actual acting chops, Simona? "I don't think there's any talent there."

"Apprentice" Sideshow: George Slams Carolyn

George Ross, the man who sits to the right in the boardroom on "The Apprentice," has no sympathy for Carolyn Kepcher, who used to be on Trump's left, and who recently got the axe from Trump himself. "Do I think her becoming a major national star went to her head? Was she affected by it? Yes," said Ross recently on "Good Morning America."

Meanwhile, as Lloyd Grove points out this morning, the 78-year-old Ross has been out hyping his own book called "Trump-Style Negotiation," and has been leaving the office to do paid speaking engagements. But a Ross assistant insists that George has his eye on the Trump-serving ball, and that he's "an ace at what he does."

Kepcher, for her part, reacted to Ross' comments this way on MSBNC: "I'm shocked. I find it very ironic, to say the least. But again, good for George."

Fergie's Battle With Meth

Calling crystal meth "the hardest boyfriend I ever had to break up with," the Black Eyed Peas' female singer Fergie (real name Stacey Ferguson) details her drug struggles in an interview with Time. "It's the drug that's addicting. But it's why you start doing it in the first place that's interesting," says Fergie, who's recent solo efforts have climbed up the charts. "A lot of it was being a child actor: I learned to suppress feelings." Fergie adds that she has talked to the other famous Fergie – the Duchess of York – about doing "some charity work together."

Party Favors: Kristin Cavallari Sips Fem-Bot Fatale! ... Joaquin Phoenix and Eva Mendes Spotted Canoodling! ... "The Covenant" Wins Tepid Weekend B.O.

Kristin Cavallari, who's been quite happily photographed at just about every Fashion Week event she can scamper into, shrieked when a lensman caught her downing something called a "Svedka Fem-Bot Fatale" at an after-party. "You can't take a picture of me drinking!" protested the 19-year-old Kristin, according to Rush & Molloy. Of course, it didn't stop her from indulging ... Joaquin Phoenix and Eva Mendes were at it furiously at a Wyclef Jean party in New York Thursday night. Though reps have denied the pair are an item, an R&M spy saw the couple "holding hands under the table and kissing all night long." ... Renny Harlin's supernatural thriller "The Covenant" took the top spot at the weekend box office with a relatively light $9 million take, with the Ben Affleck noir "Hollywoodland" coming in second, with $6 million.

Add to: My AOL, MyYahoo, Google, Bloglines
AOL Alerts

coco puff

PETA is absolutely 100 percent correct. This guy used wild animals as props in order to boost the ratings of his TV show. He teased and goaded the animals for shock value TV, plain and simple. Anyone who didn't see that has blinders on. You can have a animal show without that mistreatment of wildlife but it wouldn't draw as many viewers. Wake up, people!

Kai

WOW.....YOU KNOW...IT WASN'T LIKE ERWIN WAS WEARING THE FUR OR SKIN OFF OF THE ANIMALS. ALL HE DID WAS STUDY THEM AND SHARE HIS FINDINGS WITH THE WORLD. HE LOVED ANIMALS. HOW DARE THEY SPEAK ILL OF HIM NOW THAT HE IS DEAD AND CAN'T DEFEND HIMSELF!!!! HOW LOW CAN PETA GO?!?!?!!?

NastyDiaper

Ever tried to talk of the benefits of pasture raised cattle with PETA? Free range chicken maybe? Even organic dairy? It's impossible.

No less so discussing that Irwin was a conservationist above all.

It's unfortunate, really. I respect PETA in many ways. But I can't seem to collect enough self righteous outrage to fully appreciate where they are coming from.

anonymous

what a surprise --- the left-wing animal taliban judging the lives of others who don't think and act exactly like they do. as a liberal, it ASTOUNDS me how the likes of PETA don't realize they are the mirror image of abortion-clinic bombers ...

Rick

Well, I used to love PETA but now they can forget about my contribution. Remember the Golden Rule stupid!

maya

So wtf is a Simona Fusco, and what makes her the judge of someone's talent? Jealous bitch. People like that try to get famous by mentioning Paris Hilton. Doh.

KRISTIN

How dare PETA say such terrible things. I just hope that Steve Irwins children do not hear these stupid comments. As for this Matthews man I think he needs to crawl back in the hole he came out from. Steve was a very caring wonderful man who you could tell cared deeply for his family and animals.

coco puff

The ethical treatment of animals means just that. The use of animals as a means of entertainment is not ethical. The filming of animals in there natural environment is fine. When one intrudes physically and dangles meat over these animals for a sensationable effect on TV, it's just plain wrong. It's like having a dog do a trick in order to get a treat. These are wild creatures and react on basic instinct. Steve was not a conservationist, but just a plain media whore who exploited these animals. The real sad fact is that there will be more Steve Irwin copy cats. Wild animals have the right to be wild, not caged in zoo's for man's selfish entertainment.

Esq

I want to like PETA, but this strikes them out for me. If the organization had any sense, it would have said nothing in this case. It didn't have to agree with everything conservationist Steve Irwin did, but bashing him was a big mistake which will have a huge backlash in effecting PETA's donations and credibility.

The Protestant religions don't agree on everything, (i.e., water baptism, speaking in tongues, etc.), but since they are on the same page with all of the big stuff, they generally don't fight the small tough in public. PETA should take note.

Thanks for the entertainment and educating, Crocodile Hunter!

Esq

Mike at #102 said, "...., it's just plain wrong. It's like having a dog do a trick in order to get a treat."

What?!? My dog loves to do tricks for treats. Is that wrong too in PETA land? Amazing!!

Daddy Tom

For Shame of PETA and their spokesman for such derrogative statements
of a fellow human being. I hope these kinds of statements turn other human
beings from this kind of organization and support others like WWF (World
Wildlife Federation...Thanks...

coco puff

There is a obvious difference between domesticated animals ( dogs & cats ) and wild ones. I'm sure if Mr. Irwin could of taught a crock to roll over and play dead he would of done it. That would of made great TV, Crikey, did you see that mate, I just got the crock to speak! I think I'll dangle this piece of chicken over the blokes head so I can make him sit! It's to bad one of those crock's didn't tear him a new asshole! That would of made great TV!

Roberta

How offensive can you get? I used to think the PTA people were so good, saving all these little creatures. Then, my husband and a college biology teacher explained that they are really not very nice, and very radical. My husband always says that PETA stands for "People Eating Tasty Animals!" I love animals, my cats are so precious to me. But you cannot elevate animals to human standards. I do not feel they should be tortured, but God did put them here with a purpose in mind. Steve Irwin was an incredible human being who loved his family, animals, and fans. He taught the whole world about animals they had never seen before. Mr. Mathews is so full of it, and he should be ashamed of himself. Just last week I got some address labels from PETA and I am now going to go and put them through the shredder. Any info or letters they send me will be marked "return to sender." God bless Steve's family and I hope Mr. Mathews rots in hell.

Roberta

To post #108- Mike, your uncaring attitude is exactly why most people do not like PETA. You say you love animals, yet are so nasty of a human being. Kind of like the anti-abortionists who go into clinics and blow people up. They are against killing, but don't mind when it is someone who they think deserves to be killed. Do you even understand (or care) how how low this is to talk about someone who has died (tragically) and left his family? I would really be careful what you say because things have a way of coming back to bite someone right on the ass. Oh, but I guess in your opinion that would be okay, because hey, it's just a human. Not something as high up the food chain as an animal!

whatever

it's sad he died but he did provoke wild creatures, while PETA doesn't comment at a right time and a more sensitive way but it's true...

he tailed the stingray just as someone stalking you, it's provoking, no??