The Most Anticipated Show Ever!

9/18/2006 2:08 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Ok, maybe we're exaggerating a little bit there -- but nonetheless, the much-hyped, overly-promoted (PerezHilton.com brought to you by "Studio 60"!) new NBC show "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip" finally premieres tonight.

The hour-long drama, from "West Wing" creator Aaron Sorkin and starring "Friends" alum Matthew Perry, is about the behind-the-scenes happenings at a late-night sketch comedy show (think "Saturday Night Live," but not). The show also co-stars Bradley Whitford, Amanda Peet, D.L. Hughley, Sarah Paulson, Steven Weber and Timothy Busfield.

"Of course it's a challenge after the last show I did to change it up a little bit," Perry says. "I think this is different enough."

"Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip" premieres tonight (finally!) on NBC 10PM ET/PT.

(a) Garrett DiBona (fan)

It already aired on CTV (Canadian Television) last night (Sunday). Based on the rec.arts.tv newsgroup (Usement) comments, it was very good.

"perezhilton.com" Is just raw sewage. A Dane Cook on an even LESS important scale.

Elizabeth

The show premiered last night in Ontario, Canada. Did indeed live up to the hype. Very well done, entertaining. Better than anything else I can think of on TV. What you would expect from the writers of the fantastic West Wing.

Travis Bickle

I hope it bombs.

Freelols.com

YAWN. Who cares about this overhyped soon-to-be-canceled show?

Lou

TMZ is becoming a really pathetic site. First with all the Anti Mel crap and now associating itself with Perez hilton. THat is just sad. I don't think I will visit this site any longer.

Diego

I saw it on CTV in Canada last night and it was excellent. The question is whether they can make a show that good every week.

Alyn Brodsky

With that no-talent clown Perry in it, I'm sure it's already circling the bowl.

em

I might have tuned in to check it out, but like most people I will be watching Pittsburgh destroy Jacksonville on Monday Night Football.

GO STEELERS!

leisa

I found the show to be painful to watch. I laughed at all the wrong places and I it looked like Matthew and Bradley Whitford were just about to make out.

We, are not amused.

Harry Sez: "I dunno shows that are about the entertainment industry are not 'must see TV' for me. To quote from 'Seinfield', this has got disaster written all over it. I suppose NBC has got to put something on opposite of MNF, yeah good luck with that. Jacksonville is gonna eat the Steelers lunch, drink their beer and sleep with their wimmens!"

Scan

Not so great-tried to watch, but turned it off about halfway thru. Don't believe the hype!

Rasta Avatar

I saw it tonite. It's an extremely over earnest "we are very serious about our serious business that we calll show" type of show. Kinda like why West Wing sucked so hard. It's much more interesting then West Wing but the problem is it's contrived fake feel to the dialogue and it's pretentious "we are gonna show you guys that we are adults and are serious about our serious job which is serious business of being serious blah blah blah" The over earnestness sucks the funny right out of the show making it feel more like we are being "educated" rather then being entertained. C'mon guys. Put on your clown shoes and do the funny or do some serious drama without the uppity condescension masquerading as insider bravado and honesty. If I want to learn something a tv show is not the place I go to be educated, and if something is trying to be educational and it's coming from a network tv then I put the odds automatically at 95% that it's bull until proven otherwise. Other then that I like the direction, set design, it moves along without being boring, it's just to precious for it's own good. It's not a West Wing suckfest, but it's too close for my taste.

Rasta Avatar

Oh I almost forgot...the acting. Dear Amanda, you are cute, yes. But being cute is not acting. Smiling and acting like Yoda is not acting. Acting is that thing actors are supposed to do to convey a feeling that you are not acting but being a real person in a real situation...that doesn't mean you actually do not act and just pretend that smiling and being cute is acting. Umkay? And Chandler or whatevah, every scene you are in doesn't have to be an audition for the Academy Award, you're over acting, less is more. Every situation a real person is in isn't that dramatic, take it down a notch. Umkay

varrick

My God the show sucked big time. I can't believe people are paid to write for this show and act in it as well. 15 minutes was all I could tolerate. TV anymore sucks. This show will never make it.

Jo

I thought the show rocked especially in comparison with all the other crap on TV these days. It's nice to see some smart, and witty writing after the overload of reality TV sh$% that's on!