Anna Nicole's Son -- Fatal Drug Combo?

9/19/2006 2:07 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Daniel and Anna Nicole SmithFor the first time, an official in the death of Anna Nicole Smith's son has gone on the record, stating that drugs may have killed Daniel Smith.

Dr. Cyril Wecht, a pathologist and former coroner who was hired by Anna Nicole and signed Daniel's death certificate, tells TMZ, "It could be a drug-related death of an accidental nature."

An official connected with the investigation, who wished to remain anonymous, told TMZ that the drugs in question "were prescription, not illegal." The source added that Daniel had "a combination" of anti-depressants and other prescriptions in his system.

"It could be a drug-related death of an accidental nature."

Dr. Wecht, however, bitterly disagrees with the Coroner of the Bahamas who claims the cause of death has been established to a certainty.

Dr. Wecht says he and another pathologist, Dr. Golinda Raju, both have determined that Daniel's cause of death is unknown, pending the final toxicology report. In sharp contrast, Coroner Linda Virgill tells TMZ, "I stand firm that the cause of death is known."

Dr. Wecht went after Virgill, telling TMZ, "Do you want to believe the two pathologists or a non-physician. I don't know what she's talking about." He reiterated, "I'm telling you I don't know the cause of death. I don't know." Dr. Wecht, who was clearly upset over Virgill's comments, peppered his comments to TMZ with expletives.

Virgill would not reveal the specific cause of death, though she insists it was firmly established last week. She did, however, tell TMZ, "The toxicology report is very important here," buttressing Dr. Wecht's comments that Daniel's death may have been drug-related.

Raq

You people with rude comments about this situation should be ASHAMED of yourselves. Thou shall NOT pass judgement. She lost her son and that is a shame. No one deserves to be bashed about losing his/her son/daughter/loved one. Yes Anna has made mistakes But guess what we All do. Leave her alone so that she may mourn her loss in peace just like anyone else would have the right to do without people passing judgment.

CrazyMom

People can comment on this til the end of time and one thing will never change. Anna Nicole Smith has lost a child. One of the hardest things a person ever has to go through. It doesn't really matter how it happened when someone we love dies. What matters is how we handle it, when it does. Keeping their memory alive and keeping the good times in our minds and hearts is the best way. My thoughts and prayers are with the Smith family.

Cheryl Moore

So Sad, how fast we are to judge. "Let those without sin, cast the first stone" Maybe you have a past not so good, but due to not being a celebrity, everytime you fart it isn't in the tabloid. This woman has given birth and suffered a great loss at the same time. And all we do is judge her, where it is not our right. Celebrities are humans with emotions and pain, they make the big bucks and tabloids exploit their every breath and many many times it is not the truth. Let her grieve and get through this with blessings and as much peace as possible. I know a few mothers out there that need to clean up their own backyard first and they will be the first to judge.
May God be with Anna and her family and friends through this trying time.
Blessings to them all
C. Moore, TN

PH

Loosing someone that you love is the hardest thing in the world to have to deal with, and the pain and hurt stay with you forever. It does'nt matter how he died or what she sold, the only thing that matters here is that Anna Nicole is hurting more than any of us can imagine and we all should show her respect and skip all the negative comments. If you don't have something nice to say to her than skip your entry because it is cruel and mean. She is dealing with enough right now and does'nt need any of your insensitive comments. I would assume that the people who are leaving these comments have never lost a loved one because if you had you would somewhat understand and not write what you did, someday when you do loose someone you love more than life itself, remember what you wrote and I hope someone returns the cruelty to you as that is the least you deserve for saying what you did. Someone wrote in "what comes around goes around", get ready sweetheart cause some bad karma is on its way to you, your a mean nasty person for posting your blog, you'll get yours, I do believe that, and so will all the rest of the mean nasty bloggers. I am disgusted with all of you, you have no idea!

DesertChildAZ

I hope that all of you people who are being so vile and judgemental are not Christian....because if you are, then may God have mercy on your evil souls.

Michelle LL

No. 10: That is the stupidest post I have ever seen. What are you ...10 years old ? Life will eat you up and spit you out honey, you can bet on it. I feel sorry for you and pity you, and I might be the only one here. Life can be long sometimes, I hope you learn and think, for your sake.

starlitkate

I'd be on anti-deppresents too if my mother was Anna Nicole-but still to the fact. She loved him as much as he loved her. This is sad because I can remember watching him with her on tv over his short life.

PH

Hey Memyselfandi and all you others with the cruel comments, share your emails with us as we'd like to tell you a thing or two, you are the most pathetic pieces of crap, how dare you say what you did. You have no idea how hurtful those words you wrote are to Anna and everyone else who has lost loved ones, I am here in tears, trying to figure out how anyone could be so cruel and nasty? you are the epitome of the scum of this world- Do you know what Karma is? You and the others are just a reminder of what cruel, nasty, thoughtless people still somehow exist, may GOD somehow forgive you all, but i doubt it!

Barbara

I feel so bad for Anna Nicole Smith. No matter what you may think of her she has lost her son whom she adored. My prayers are with you.

APRIL

ANNA I'M SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR SON AND HAPPY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR DAUGHTER. ALL PEOPLE WILL WRITE AND SAY HOW THEY FEEL AND ITS JUST BECAUSE YOU ARE A STAR DONT TAKE ANY THING TO HEART .PEOPLE CAN BE COLD. THERE IS A PERSON WHO DIES EVRY DAY AND ONE IS BORN . MY NEPHEW WAS MURDERED IN 1999 AND IT WAS MY BROTHERS FIRST BORN. CLIFFORD BELLER JR WAS 19 YEARS OLD AND TWO SO CALL FRIENDS SHOT HIM 3 TIMES IN THE BACK OF THE HEAD AND LEFT HIM IN THE PARK TO DIE. IT IS VERY HARD AND DONT LET ANY ONE TALK DOWN OR BAD ABOUT YOUR SON IT DOESNT MATTER HOW HE DIED ITS THE WHOLE POINT HE DIED. MAY GOD BE WITH YOU AND YOUR FAMILY AT THIS TIME.. AND TELL YOUR DAUGHTER ALL ABOUT THE BEST BIG BROTHER IN THE WORLD.. PEACE AND HAPPINESS TO YOU ALL. LOVE APRIL

James

anna is unable to release the body for burial or cremation. too final. she is refusing to leave the compound at the bahamas. everything that is being done in anna's name is actually howard. he sold the pictures. stay tuned

Patricia

My very deepest sympapthies to you Anna and your entire family for your tremendous loss. I can't even imagine what you are going through but I would like you to know that I will pray for you and Daniel. Anna you are a truly wonderful and loving person and I know after having watched your show that you were an amazing Mom. May God bless you always.

Spooky

No matter the circumstances of his death, it is still the death of a child, her child.
Don't be mean, rude, crude, cruel and sarcastic just because you don't agree with her or the things she may or may not have done. Put yourself in her shoes, her son is dead and though she will continue to breathe, her heart and soul will
never be whole again.

Spooky

# 72------MeMyselfandI

You can tell by your name you and a sad, pathetic lump of matter.

SHANTAE

MY PRAYERS ARE WITH THE BABY AND OTHER GRIEVING FAMILY MEMBERS NO MATTER WHAT SHE LOST HER SON AND I DONT THINK SHE WOULD HAVE HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT EVEN IF SHE DID GOD WILL HANDLE THAT MAY HE REST IN PEACE THE TRUTH WILL COME OUT SHE HAS TO LIVE WITH THIS TRAGEDY