Who Is That Masked Man? It's MEL!

9/24/2006 11:44 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Mel GibsonThe first screenings of Mel Gibson's new movie "Apocalypto" weren't in New York or Los Angeles -- they were in Oklahoma. And, despite the fact that these were the big debut screenings for the film, Mel and his crew didn't exactly roll out the red carpet.

At a screening on Friday, at a casino in Goldsby, Okla., reporters were kept behind partitions. At another screening, at Cameron University on Thursday, Gibson showed up wearing a mask and wig. Not only that, but his Oklahoma-based publicist had said last week that the Oklahoma screenings had been cancelled -- probably to throw reporters off the scent. We all know the kinds of trouble Mel's been through lately, but he might be taking things to an extreme here. "Apocalypto," which is schduled for release on Dec. 8, is set in the last days of Mayan civilization in Mexico.

Nicole Marks Her Territory

Nicole Richie's none too thrilled about her ex D.J. AM's new girlfriend. The other night, Nicole was celebrating her 25th birthday at Teen Vogue's Young Hollywood party, hanging out with Mischa Barton and Rachel Bilson. When 22-year-old model Lauren Hastings -- who has reportedly been seen following AM all over town, according to Gatecrasher -- showed up, Nicole had security suddenly "clear her area." Lauren wasn't able to enter Richie's new VIP section. Nicole has been seeing Kristin Cavallari's ex Brody Jenner lately, but Lauren is the first girl AM's been reported to see seriously -- and Nicole doesn't seem to be taking it so well.

Meryl Streep Actually Doesn't Like Prada

Just because she played a haughty magazine editor in "The Devil Wears Prada" doesn't mean Meryl Streep actually wears Prada. She told a French magazine that she only owns one pair of Prada shoes -- and they make her feet hurt. "It's not the shoes' fault: they are exquisitely made. I blame my feet. I've got my mother's feet," Streep said. Streep's on-screen character, Miranda Priestly, was a thinly veiled version of Vogue editor Anna Wintour, whose onetime assistant wrote the bestselling novel "The Devil Wears Prada." Streep certainly did a good job acting in the film -- the real Anna Wintour would never admit something like that.

Mary-Kate's Mystery Man

Celeb watchers are working overtime to figure out who Mary-Kate Olsen's new man is. The petite twin was spotted partying at the Gramercy Park Hotel in Manhattan the other night -- without her sister Ashley, but with the man Page Six called a "rocker-type." It doesn't seem like she paid much attention to him, though: She was apparently glued to her cell phone the entire night, leaving her man to hang out with her "grungy friends."

Add to: My AOL, MyYahoo, Google, Bloglines
AOL Alerts

Alyn Brodsky

I hope Mel's new picture goes the way of the Mayans.

Leno is garbage

Mel Gibson is f***ing crazy.

Lisa

Mel held different screening for the Passion of the Christ all across the country. Lots of celebrities go incongnito in public. Don't make more out of this than it really is.

A Devoted Mel Fan

Sam

I can't wait to see another Mel Gibson film. He's my hero!

I'm sure all the f*ckwit retards are going to start spewing hate, anger, and rehash old crap. And you know what, WHO CARES!

A Devoted Mel Fan too!

Mike C.

Mel, you've gone weird on us over the years!

Mike C.

Mel has gone bonkers. I will still see the movie out of interest.

Stevo

Only a man who says Jews caused all the wars in the world would pull a stunt like that.

Theo

"I'm sure all the f*ckwit retards are going to start spewing hate, anger..."

You do know you're a moron, right?

Alyn Brodsky

Hey #4, Samanthi--you're either a masochist or a certifiable, commitable idiot. So, too, everyone else who "loves" this hateful. hurtful piece of ultra-Christian sh*t. Tell me, do you cream in our pants at the mention of his name? I thought so. You should contact the old Gibson Nazi, Daddy Hutton, I'm sure he;d be glad to send you a gift of a swastika (though something tells me that evil bastard would probably mail it collect).

kelly

Maven sending your comment twice doesn't mean it will hurt her feelings twice dummy or any one else who likes Mel Gibson.

beware of big dark HERPE caves

The LITTLE man sure had a BIG mouth when drunk. Why are u hiding Mel? You are are small man acting like a BIG p***y. Your movies stink anyway.

David

I am sick and tired of all the self righteous jerks out there who are too quick to condemn people for their misgivings.
How many times do they themselves when drunk, high or otherwise obliterated make remarks to others they wish they could retract.
Are they required to make a public apology? Never......
To all you hyprocrites out there, take a look at your own life and the hateful words you have said about and to others and be a little less judgemental of others.

I have made my errors in life, I have confronted the people I have hurt and apologized. Whether they accept my apology or not does not matter, I made the effort and cleared my conscience.

I suggest you do the same

Tired of the sarcasm ........................

The Maven

David, #12, you idiot--should Hitler be excused away for HIS "misgivings?? If a drunk driver killed a member of your family, would you be willing to forgive him/her for his/her "misgivings." You are such a profound piece of crap, I;ll not waste another word on you. (Nor will I forgive you for your "misgivings.)

Ok

I can't wait to see "Apocalypto". It looks like it's going to be awesome!

kathleen

Maven, give it up. We are SERIOUSLY sick of your sh*t! I agree with David. GROW UP!!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments