Brad's Unauthorized Vanity Fair Cover

10/31/2006 7:20 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Brad Pitt struts his stuff on the cover of December's Vanity Fair -- and TMZ has learned that no one was more surprised to see the steamy cover on stands than Brad himself.
Brad Pitt on Vanity Fair.
A source close to Pitt tells TMZ that Brad shot the photos, taken by artist Robert Wilson, in September 2005, but didn't have any idea at the time -- or anytime since -- that they would be used for the cover of VF. Pitt had agreed to be in Wilson's avant-garde video art project last year, and signed a legal release at the time for the still and video images taken in the shoot. But until the Vanity Fair cover emerged this week, Pitt didn't know that he would be the magazine's coverboy.

Reps for Vanity Fair tell TMZ, "In a letter dated October 5, 2006, and sent to Pitt care of Brillstein-Grey [Pitt's managers], Wilson informed Pitt that a still image from his portrait was going to be featured in the December art issue of Vanity Fair." A source says that Pitt never saw the letter.

Pitt's lawyers are said to be weighing their legal options. His rep gave the following statement to TMZ: "We are very disappointed that Vanity Fair has chosen to put an unauthorized cover on their magazine. It seriously makes me question their integrity and motives."

A rep for Vanity Fair tells TMZ: "Brad Pitt posed for a Robert Wilson video portrait, and in the photo release (signed by Pitt), agreed to allow Wilson to use the portrait or any images from that sitting in connection with any publicity on Brad copies his loversWilson's video project. Vanity Fair decided to do a story on Wilson's video portraits and obtained rights to the entire collection of photographs from those sittings, which included Pitt's."

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Wicked

Hubba Hubba...yummy...yummy...I'll have me some Brad Pitt.

lili

Daaaaaaaahhhling, you are fabulous...

showers of Blessings

What is there any special, just someone wearing boxers.

For those who made a big deal, go jump off the cliff !!!

Avery

The only reason why the VF issue with Suri sold many copies was because those crazy $cientologists (by order of their leader, David Miscavige and Tom Cruise) were prompted to go to newstands everywhere and each purchase hundreds of copies of the issue. This is a FACT. They've done this with their Dianetics books (to boost it up to the #1 Best Seller List), as well as Tom's MI:3 movie tickets. I did not buy movie tickets to see MI:3, and I certainly did not buy the VF with Suri. In my six degrees of separation, I don't know ANYONE who did. But, I will for this one with Brad Pitt, especially since it has the article with the Sumner Redstone interview on Tom Cruise in it. I just LOVE it how this one follows the VF issue with Suri. Sumner says it like it is, the truth, and says it for all the women in the world with PPD. I applaud Mr. Redstone. Very well done!

shelley

hey fag fan base....what sort of freak masterbates to a Vanity Fair cover?

sheila

Actually, tmz the photo is from 2004 , in 2005 Brad had black hair this photo was from 2004. It is obvious Vanity Fair is being shady, and they seem to have it in for pitt.

michele

It's quite obvious that Vanity Fair is using Mr. Pitt's image to sell magazine since he will probably NEVER willing do an interview with them again. VF could have used ANY image but know that Brad's will garner the most interest as he is the HOT SH*T right now with his performance in "Babel.

Linda Nelson

Folks, when you sign a photo release that is this encompassing you run the risk of this happening. What's the problem, anyway. It is a great shot and it IS the art issue.

sharrie

well hell....its not even a good picture. Brad should be upset.

Tiffany

He signed a legally binding release and there's absolutely nothing he can do about it. Brad Pitt should cuss out his management team for not getting him the information that VF sent as a COURTESY. They didn't even have to do that. He'll do a VF cover again because he knows it will boost his image even more. Brad Pitt seems like a reasonable guy and I don't think he'll blow it out of proportion.

PassionBuzz

If he signed over the rights, then he shouldn't be crying. Besides, he looks great and he wouldn't be on the cover otherwise. Heh.

And #3. Seriously. Is that necessary? I actually sell sensual products (including toys) as well, but I do it in an educational setting that is NOT vulgar and trashy. A woman (or couple) can use toys as a means to increase intimacy and open communication and monogamy. Don't make sex vulgar and profane. Ugh.

superfan

wow! i'd like to see wentorth miller in that magazine like that!......LOL!

Bjorn

I usually don't like this website, but when I saw Brad Pitt's cover photo for Vanity Fair, I was like "S***, that is beautiful!!!! I don't care about the Pitt legal situation, but you got to give it to VF for having the greatest photos.

Rah-Rah

Um...that really doesn't look like him. The face is kinda puffy. Nice body, though.

sue