Acting Legend Jack Palance Dies

11/10/2006 7:17 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Jack Palance, the gravel-voiced actor whose career spanned bad guy and, later, funny guy roles, died today at the age of 87. According to family members, Palance passed away at his Montecito, Calif. home of "natural causes."

Palance is best remembered for his Oscar-nominated role as the evil gunfighter Jack Wilson in "Shane" and such dark roles as Dracula and Attila the Hun. Younger audiences discovered him later from his hosting gig on "Ripley's Believe or Not," and, perhaps most popularly, his portrayal of the gruff cowboy Curly in "City Slickers."

He also made the one-armed pushup, which he executed with panache as he accepted his Academy Award in 1992 at the tender age of 73, a symbol of masculine achievement.

The Duke

Dang, that sucks! Guess we all gotta go sometime, but Palance was a GREAT actor and will be missed very much! He led a long and highly productive life though. Good on him. My condolences to his family. - The Duke

Pieta

Damn, I luved this guy. A real man's man - superb actor. Full of grit, humor and style. "Shane" --- great role - how menacing he was in that movie. RIP Sir.

stoopit

Well, that makes 3 celebrities dead today. No body else should die today. It only comes in 3's

duh...totally !

RIP ~~

a cool guy......

his voice scared me when I was little on "Ripley's Believe It Or Not"

The Duke

Too right lala, three is enough for sure and you're quite correct. Things always happen in three's it seems. Hmmmm, gotta wonder whats up with that! Later - The Duke

Jeanie

A great actor. I'll always remember him in the Joan Crawford movie "Sudden Fear" along with Gloria Grahame. He was perfect in the part of the evil, scheming, adulterous husband in this great film noir.

Stan and Paula

We think he was great!!
Our prayers go out for the family

bboutdoorsman

I WAS SAD TO HEAR THE PASSING OF THIS ACTING ICON. AS SOMEONE WHO ADMIRES THE WESTERN ERA JACK PALANCE PERSONIFIED WHAT A COWBOY WOULD BE LIKE IN THE 21ST CENTURY. HE ALWAYS IMPRESSED ME WITH HIS RAW SENSE OF HUMOR AND CANDID PERSONALITY. A UNIQUE MAN WHO WAS PART OF 'OLD HOLLYWOOD' THAT IS SLOWLY DISAPPEARING. I REMEMBER READING HE SERVED IN THE ARMED FORCES AND SPOKE SIX LANGUAGES. CLEARLY ACTING WAS JUST ONE OF HIS LIFETIME TALENTS AND CONTRIBUTIONS.

I AM SURE MR. PALANCE ARRIVED AT THE GATES OF HEAVEN CHALLENGING GOD TO ONE ARM PUSH-UPS!

MY CONDOLUNCES TO HIS ENTIRE FAMILY. HE WILL BE MISSED.

Stacy

RIP Mr. Palance.

Mad Balls

A great guy with a superb sense of humour . I was a big fan of B-movies a had the pleasure of seeing many of the smaller screen movies he was in . A salute for a job well done ...Soldier !

the wise old owl

I loved Jack Palance. What a great guy. He was a great example of how to live a good life. His family should be proud and celebrate his life. They were lucky to have him for so long. He was blessed that he passed away from Natural causes in his sleep. That's the only way to go. I hope I'm that lucky (. It really sucks to die after suffering a long illness.) I only have fond memories of the guy. God Bless him. No bills or bullsh*t where he is going. He is probably sitting up there LHAO while we are all down here grinding it out. .........ha ha ........lol. He earned his way there and I have no doubt he's flying around with a pair of angel wings on.

AngelG.1

I dont remember when he was'nt a star- I thought he was amazing doing the one arm push-ups! Mr. Palance will be missed, he was a mans man , and as woman I feel we can never have enough of them! RIP Jack Palance , you will be missed.

jan

God, we loved him..I hope he knew that....He was an ordinary guy..doing great acting...and we all appreciated him...I hope he went straight to heaven...we will miss him...RIP

kathleen

RIP, Jack Palance. My husband and I rented CITY SLICKERS--he played such a GREAT character in that movie! What a wonderful actor!

sandra jakowpck

loved him, loved his acting, his voice, style, everything about him. Will miss him greatley. Heaven will welcom him

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments