Audience Laughs at "Kramer," Seinfeld Pissed

11/21/2006 12:50 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

In one of the most awkward moments in the history of late night television, a shamed Michael Richards appeared on the Late Show with David Letterman to apologize for his racist, hate-fueled rant. It wasn't meant to be funny, but the audience laughed anyway.

Richards agreed to appear on the show, even after Letterman took a comedic jab at "the guy who played Kramer" on the Top Ten list, at the request of his good friend and former co-star Jerry Seinfeld. Jerry was there to promote "Seinfeld" Season 7 on DVD.

As Richards began explaining the "nasty things" said about "Afro-Americans," the audience couldn't help but chuckle. Seinfeld, immediately scolded the crowd, saying "stop laughing, it ain't funny." But the crowd couldn't help themselves.

The confused fans continued to chuckle, and Richards seemingly blamed Letterman for the awkwardness. "I've already heard you make some jokes about it and that's OK, but I'm really busted up about it."

Richards admitted that he may have acted without thinking. "I'm hearing your audience laugh ... and I'm not even sure that this is where I should be addressing the situation."

Previous 15 Comments | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29

Al

By the way...I think everyone should sit down and read some books on race and US race relations before they post comments on this site or any site. COME ON PEOPLE!!!!! We will spend 48 hours in line for PS3, we'll spend 3 hours updating our blog site, we'll spend hours just hanging out at the mall or playing online poker. What we can't seem to do is pick up a f*cking book and learn a little about race and racism in the US. What do you know about US foriegn policy? Can you name the justices of the Supreame Court without Googling it? When you quote facts are they from Wikedpedia? What does NSA stand for and why should we fear them? After reading more of these post I'm just dissapointed in the stupidity of SOME of the people posting. Richards stupidity came out loud and clear during the apology. Here are a few things to remember:
1. No one is color blind unless they really are blind, so please stop saying that it makes you sound stupid. You see I'm black, I see your Latino, White, Asian, Native American, etc. OK...now that we have acknowlegde we have skin pigmentation...
2. You don't have to feel bad/guilty about being white, just know and understand that you have an upper hand in our society because of it, we do not blame you for this..just be AWARE that the unbiased equality that you think exist is all in your head.
3. Please google the following term "white priveledge"
4. Understand that the term Caucasian reffers to people who live in the mountains of Africa and were Africans.
5. You became white due to racism, before race became this countries dividing point, you were Irish, French, German, Italian, Polish, ect. If you don't like being white than you need to be out there fighting to get your heritage back. Don't claim you're white 23 hours out of the day and then on hour 24 your suddenly Polish/Hungarian because white people are getting some crap for being white. I'm black 24/7 and I role with the punches (i.e. OJ Simpson) of being black EVERYDAY, ALL DAY.
6. Can't have it your way all the time (general life lesson)
7. All empires crumble, ignorant empires crumble the fastest and hardest
8. Race is not just black and white...How many Asian people have you seen on primetime TV...it should be the majority since they are the majority of the worlds population, so why do I only see lilly-white blonde girls everywhere ...ASIAN REVOLUTION!!!!!
9. Diversity is not just a word colleges use to bump up applications, it can exist so lets shoot for it
10. You don't have to like us, but you do have to respect us and vise versa.

And yes...when you have a society like ours, you will find that most people of color know ALOT more about white people then they know about us. It's a sociological truth, we are mearly meant to be stagehands while white people act out the drama that is life. The actors rarely know how the stage gets set and the production goes on, yet I bet you the stage hands know every line of the play, which actor like what flowers in his or her dressing room, etc. :) Please Read "Black on White" by David Roediger.

This message was brought to you by your local sociology major :)

Critic

Stick a fork in me Jerry! I'm done!!

JessicaD

There's a difference here. I could care less anymore, but the simple fact of the matter is if you watch the video he's INSANE on it. It was just heckling, and the bringing up of stringing up to a tree is over the line. He didn't crack a joke after the fact, or laugh. He just went crazy.

I do agree that there is a double standard when it comes to black comics mocking whites. It's true, it's there. But you can tell when someone is joking and when someone has lost it. And he lost it on stage. He apologized, but I don't think the Late Show was the best place to do it. But he the guy obviously has issues.

I've never thought he was funny and always found him annoying, this sort of reinforced that.

Angel

Awww come on people lighten up. We ALL call people specially white people all kinds of names jokes etc and then when someone says it about our race we get all mad. I am not black I am Mexican descent and I just laugh when people make jokes because if I can dish it I should take it....I cannot this of any comedy show when a white person was not made fun of so just lighten up WHO CARES!

Critic

You see, the key to eating a black and white cookie is that you wanna get some black and some white in each bite. Nothing mixes better than vanilla and chocolate. And yet still somehow racial harmony eludes us. If people would only look to the cookie, all our problems would be solved.

Larry

WHITE PEOPLE WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND BECAUSE THEY HAVE NEVER HAD TO GO THROUGH ANYTHING. SOCIETY IS DESIGNED FOR THEM. HOW CAN THE OPPRESSORS UNDERSTAND THE OPPRESSED? I HEAR YOU GUYS TALKING ABOUT HOW PEOPLE TALK ABOUT WHITES AND NO ONE SAYS ANYTHING. STINGS DOESN'T IT? DISCRIMINATION IS UGLY NO MATTER WHO IS DOING IT. HURTFUL THINGS ARE HURTFUL. WELCOME TO OUR WORLD. . . YOU ARE JUST GETTING A TASTE OF WHAT YOU HAVE GIVEN EVERYONE ELSE FOR CENTURIES. NOW YOU WANT TO CRY??? AS YOU SAY, GET OVER IT!!! ONLY YOU WON'T BE ENSLAVED, LYNCHED OR HAVE TO DEAL WITH SEGREGATION. THE COUNTRY IS SET UP FOR YOU FOLKS. I MEAN JUST LOOK, YOU CAN BE A STUPID, DRUG ADDICT, DRUNK, DRAFT DODGING COWBOY AND STILL BE PRESIDENT IF YOU ARE WHITE. NO PERSON OF COLOR COULD PULL THAT OFF!!! WHITE PEOPLE ARE FUNNY!!!! READING THESE POSTS JUST SHOWS THAT YOU FOLKS HAVE NO CLUE OF THE REAL WORLD AROUND YOU. IF YOU FOLKS HAD TO DEAL WITH A FRACTION OF WHAT YOU HAVE PUT EVERYONE ELSE THROUGH YOU COULD NOT HANDLE IT BECAUSE YOU ARE WEAK. THE REAL WHINERS ARE YOU PEOPLE. EVERYTHING SET UP IN YOUR FAVOR AND YOU STILL COMPLAIN ABOUT EVERYTHING. YOU PEOPLE KNOW NOTHING OF STRUGGLE. YOUR RACE HAS DONE NOTHING BUT MURDER AND STEAL EVERYTHING FROM EVERYONE ELSE. WANT TO ASK THE INDIANS, THE REAL OWNERS OF THIS LAND, WHAT THEY THINK??? DIDN'T THINK SO. DAMN RIGHT WE WANT OUR REPARATIONS!! IF THE JEWISH CAN GET THEIRS, AND RIGHTFULLY SO, WE SHOULD GET OURS. LETS SEE 6 MILLION JEWS KILLED, 30 MILLION BLACKS KILLED. JIM CROW LAWS,PUBLIC LYNCHINGS LIKE PARTIES, SEGREGATION, RACIST LENDING PRACTICES, RACIST HOUSING PRACTICES AND THE GOOD OLE BOY NETWORKS KEEPING US OUT OF JOBS??? LETS NOT EVEN GET INTO THE FACT THAT OUR OWN RACIST WHITE GOVERNMENT (RONALD REAGAN) PUT CRACK INTO THE BLACK COMMUNITY TO DESTROY US!!! YOU ARE DAMN RIGHT WE WANT OUR REPARATIONS!!! OH I AM SORRY, YOU FREED US RIGHT?? WE CAN VOTE, AND GO WHERE EVER WE WANT. WE SHOULD JUST BE HAPPY AND FORGET ABOUT ALL OF THE WHITEMANS TYRANNY. YEAH RIGHT!!!

janet

I don't recall ever seeing Cramer's stage name, so I wouldn't have known who they were speaking if I hadn't seen his pic. I sometimes feel the major cast members are shot in the ass with their own importance. Thia could play a part in Cramer's actions, however, I lean more toward him being bi-polar.

MerryAnne

He was wrong he and he apologized for it. He's still a very talented actor and people need to be reminded of that fact. No one could have played "Kramer" the way he did. He IS "The Kramer." Remember that he's human and we ALL are prejudiced to some degree, we just don't show it to the world.

Previous 15 Comments | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29