Audience Laughs at "Kramer," Seinfeld Pissed

11/21/2006 12:50 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

In one of the most awkward moments in the history of late night television, a shamed Michael Richards appeared on the Late Show with David Letterman to apologize for his racist, hate-fueled rant. It wasn't meant to be funny, but the audience laughed anyway.

Richards agreed to appear on the show, even after Letterman took a comedic jab at "the guy who played Kramer" on the Top Ten list, at the request of his good friend and former co-star Jerry Seinfeld. Jerry was there to promote "Seinfeld" Season 7 on DVD.

As Richards began explaining the "nasty things" said about "Afro-Americans," the audience couldn't help but chuckle. Seinfeld, immediately scolded the crowd, saying "stop laughing, it ain't funny." But the crowd couldn't help themselves.

The confused fans continued to chuckle, and Richards seemingly blamed Letterman for the awkwardness. "I've already heard you make some jokes about it and that's OK, but I'm really busted up about it."

Richards admitted that he may have acted without thinking. "I'm hearing your audience laugh ... and I'm not even sure that this is where I should be addressing the situation."

Tony D.

Michael Richards was never a good stand-up comedian, and still isn't , but what he was is a good comedic actor. The roles are no longer becoming available for his limited scope, so as we see he is failingly attempting to attain a comedic level that he has never had success with . Bigotry isn't funny, but as we all know , when in true need " all darkness come to light ".

T-Bone

I am simply appauled at Richards statements, and hope that people do not continue trying to make light of the whole situation. It is a terrible thing that person can harbor those feelings about another human being, muchless, (as a public icon) communicate on national television. After reviewing the video clip of Richards within the comedy club, I now believe that Richards (based off his actions and reactions) is a racist. I will never, along with others, watch Sinfield again because of his actions. I am embarassed for him as he made those statements, and even more that he believes that a public apology will forgive those terrible statements within the publics eye.
It makes one really think about our country and who we are. People have and are currently fighting and/or giving their lives fighting for the very freedom to allow Richards to say what he did.
Kids througout the country are watching this video, and taking mental notes. This very hatred will continually be passed on down to generations because of Richards and people like him.

Richards just needs a good ole fashioned butt whoop'n! Any volunteers?

Reggie

Kramer or whatever he is called is a BLOODY, F****ING RASICT! So he should stop pretending or appear to be sorry! He just said what was on his mind... If up till now, the likes of Kramer does not know that there are blacks, then they are all mad!!!!!!!!!

Ralph Carr

That's how stupit he's so call comedy is. First he had to apology to
puertorricans (PR Flag isue on tv'show çomedy) now to Afro Americans.
I'm glad I have never waste my time with such IDIOT. Seems like
he's running out of originallity. American TV enterprises still does not
know is time to clean up their act with this kind of racial hate,
violence, homosexuals and morbid.

I strongly believe this is not the real and typical north american
character.

doesntseemlike it

So i guess he has no freedom of speech rights now? Why isn't that crowd FREAKING OUT over his right to say whatever he wants no matter how nasty? People use whatever argument they can to prove whatever point they have. Doesn't anyone have any integrity anymore?

Reggie

T-Bone, I am up for it! Lets whoop his F***ed up ass! I will never, never, watch Seinfeild or whatever it is called again.... I hope all people of colour will adhere to it!

doesntseemlike it

I guess I must be Irish American since my great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great (you get the idea) grandparents were Irish. I'VE NEVER EVEN BEEN TO IRELAND! Maybe I could get a grant or something...

Stacey

LMAO!!! Afro-Ameriacans yea that was akward! Only a true prejudice person would come out with that. I think what Kramer said was wrong. Is money the answer no! To those people he was calling N***** to.... just think he is the true N*****! He was "IGNORANT" not you. He ruinned his career. He looked like a fool. He will get what he deserves. This incident is going to be talked about for weeks and people are just going to get frustrated and more hate is just going to spring from it. Let it go! He messed up yea everyone! This world is messed up and it will just get more messed up if you just add fuel to a mistake that EVERYONE does everyday!! Everyone in this world has prejudice in them. Don't feed off this incident. He wil be taking care of. Just rememeber one thing " GOD DOES NOT LIKE UGLY"!

Reggie

Larry, you are a genius!!! The B**ch (Jan) is just an Idiot... They think they are all better off.... How do they want the black man to survive and make it when they continuously put us down! The likes of Jan, there place is in HELL !!!!

Reggie

Abby and What's this? you both are really, really sick! F****ing ass holes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

doesntseemlike it

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH same s**t different topic

doesntseemlike it

I agree with you Kizzie...all this stuipd PC movement has done has made the insults and hatred go under the surface instead of being out in the open like it used to be. It's all still there...only now it's masked in a smile.

whatever

Etymology of "cracker" Historically the word suggested poor, white rural Americans with little formal education. i.e. stupid white people so smodd #283 I tend to disagree with you assessment that it isn't derogatory.

Reggie! If you could put down your crack pipe for second, get off of social security for more than a week, get a job, stop propagating illegitimate children for financial gain, or because you’re just too stupid and self centred to care, and get an updated version of hooked on fonics, maybe you could actually contribute something useful to this discussion.

Of course the above is merely an indication of the stereotype that you’re deeply thought out comments espouse.

Again with the sarcasm!

Kris

I want people to stop acting as if the man called him a n*** while inviting him to tea. I know people love to say that black people use it so white people don't know that it's not ok...but that is total BS and if I were white I would be insulted that you think that I am so stupid. Everyone who saw that clip knows he was using the term in an offensive manner and to say otherwise is pure foolishness.

@8 -- Of all the things in the world...black people calling white people names makes you want to vomit??? You must have a weak stomach.

Frank Errington

Can we say double standard. Any minority can use cracker, whitey, honkey, and white motherF... and do you think we would ever hear another word about it. I sincerely doubt it. I'm not say what Michael Richards did is acceptable. I'm saying let it die and he'll go back to the obsurity he's been enjoying since Seinfeld went off the air. He's the most 1 dimensional actor ever, from his day's on ABC's late night comedy show, Fridays, to Seinfeld, to his own short lived comedy series, every sketch, every character has been THE SAME. Why give him all this attention?