Kramer Uses the "Black Friends" Defense

11/27/2006 12:36 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

In a desperate effort to salvage what's left of his poisoned reputation, a "shattered" Michael Richards told Reverend Jesse Jackson that he "loves" black people, adding that some of his "best friends were African-Americans."
Kramer says sorry

Interviewed on Jackson's "Keep Hope Alive" radio show on Sunday, the former "Seinfeld" star again claimed that he harbors no racist feelings toward black people, and blamed his racist diatribe on months of pent up rage that, "has no color."

Richards explained that he should have recognized his problem, when his frustration with hecklers started affecting his comedy routine. "It's a rough and tumble environment," Richards claimed, "I've been noticing how aggressive my work had been getting."

Jackson was convinced that the problem had deeper roots, telling Richards, "You used the word nigger, and then the lynching scene ... have you been here before?" Richards responded, "No, no, no, no, no. That's why I'm shattered by it. The way it just came through me like a freight train."

According to Richards' publicist, Howard Rubenstein, the disgraced actor has already begun psychiatric counseling in Los Angeles to learn how to manage his anger and understand why he made the racist remarks.

duh

I think that this whole thing was a little blown out of portion. Everybody makes racist remarks every now and then. Whether it be in jest or protest. Just because you have friends of another race dosn't exclude you from being a racist.
Good Day!!!!

ArcticKat

As for blacks not treating whites anybetter... what are you talking about Jim?

the only people Ive heard use the words honkey (all over country music) Cracker, and redneck (Jeff Foxworthy) are WHITES. I dont even believe black people coined those terms. They rarely use them.

Black people have to kiss ass just to even get ahead, like anyone else.
If People want to blame affirmative action for their sh*tty life, why not blame your lack of skills or education that make you unqualified for a decent paying position?

Minorities have suffered enough. Just leave them alone. People who hold onto their white skin usually have no other merit to their name. Which shows their own laziness for their lack of accompolishments.

By the way, I am white so anyone who wants to write back just to tell me to "shut up n*gger" is wasting their time.

All American Girl

Let it go already! He knows he shouldn't have said what he said and he has paid the price for it. JUST LET IT GO!!!

Afiya

ArticKat...I AGREE wholeheartedly...

And any $$$ that changes hands should go to charity...not in either of these mens pockets...WAIT...why is money being talked about again?

Hey can I get a few dollars because my feelings were hurt reading some of these blogs...lol

Puh der Baer

No, David Hernandez, white folks don't hate blacks for telling the
truth about our society...we could give a rats ass. What we DON'T
like is that WE can't speak the truth without having to grovel for
forgiveness for hurting their precious feelings.
White people don't play the race card, when idiotic statements are made, we just grin and bear it. It's simply a one-way street, there's really no denying that.

Laura

#18 tw...you seem to be holding a really big grudge against anyone who is not caucasian. Please first remember that blacks did not willing come here. we where shipped here. the "N" word should not be used by anyone black or otherwise. You seem to be under the misguided impression that all blacks are lazy. There are many Doctors, Professors, Lawyers etc. in my ethnic group. What you are acerting is like me saying all caucasians sit around drinking beer belching while living in their trailer parks. Differences is what makes this country great. Yes everyone should become part of the melting pot., although if I'm going to respect your traditions, you should respect mine. That being said....heckling those equal racial slurs. And for the record...I would never ram my beliefs or traditions down your throat. I agree to live peacefully side by side.

pete

Richards ought to acknowledge WHY the epithet he used is such an ugly word for a white man to use, WHY his reference to lynching was so wrong, WHY "Gee, but I have been awful mad lately" is a bullsh*t excuse for his racist remarks--so-as not to give people the impression that he thinks race-hatred is justifiable for "angry" people, WHY "Very cool people" are being uncool a**holes when they use that epithet derogatorily, WHY racism is less than fully Human, and WHY he made statements that paint him as a racist if he is indeed not one. Then he should say, "Look--racism is not something to be taken lightly, nor excused. Racism is pure Evil, and it can spread and do the work of Evil in our country just as easily as anywhere else. Let's define it as a belief: The conviction that a race is inferior. As a policy: Murder, rape, slavery, genocide. As an American phenomenon: Our national Disgrace. I spoke as though I feel that racism is a good and worthwhile social policy--and I insulted and inflicted pain in the process. Let me swear that my feelings are the opposite of what was represented in what I said, and that I will work actively against racism in my daily life from now on."

As for the million dollar lawsuit--I bet that if the victims win and get that money, they'll still wish they had pounced on Richards. What Richards did was cruel. I think that he has it coming to lose a million bucks, or lose in some way, if he is going to make bold with the kind of crap that came out of his mouth that night. But look at what his comment has cost him: peace of mind, comfort, self-respect and maybe his career!! There is a danger of scapegoating Richards, too: Justice has to be more than punishing one racist (and if he was one when he made those remarks, he may well have modified his views by now). Justice has to be enacted in social policy, globally, respecting the right to exist of all peoples and religions. America is supposed to be the birthplace of such social thinking.
Let Richards' mistake be a wake-up call that America is still struggling to make real the promises and principles on which it was founded.

Let real dialogues ensue and be sustained--though if Richards loses a million bucks, so be it. I just don't think I would want money if I were the victims: nor retribution, after I punched a cardboard box or something. But dialogue and the founding of progressive societies--these are things that would help the big picture.

Wendy

ok sooo Michael needs to go away and come back in a few months..seriously let the dust settle there will be someone else on the hot list

KV

i know that we are all trained to jump on anyone who dares to say "some of my best friends are . . . "

but you know what? it is not automatically a bullsh*t excuse. it is the first thing any one of us would say if we were accused of hating an entire group.

and it can be the truth.

if you truly hated black people - none of your best friends would be black ! ! ! ! !

andrew

Dude, Michael Richards is a 33 degree freemason. WTF?

We, are not amused.

You know what?

All a white man can do for me is tell me...

WHERE'S THE WHITE WIMMENS AT?
(Jimmy...is your momma home?)

BRENDA

Nice try Michael but we ae not buying it.

He apologized (how many of us are buying the sincerity of it???? NOT MANY) now it's time to go under the radar for a few because people who loved him (from Seinfeld) are shocked and surprised at his easy use of racist remarks.

By the way has anyone seen the clip of him doing a "black face" parody. IT'S YET ANOTHER SHOCKING LOOK INTO THE MIND OF MICHAEL. He should thank his lucky starts he is living off the residuals from Seinfeld because as far as I am concerned "he doesn't exist anymore".

_aLL3y3zPonM3_

TO T.W...WOW,YOUR STUPIDITY & IGNORANCE STUMPS ME..NO,NO,WAIT,I JUST VOMITED IN MY MOUTH FROM READING YOUR SH*T..THAT'S RIGHT..IT WAS ALL SH*T..2ND OF ALL..U CLEARLY DON'T KNOW WHAT THE HELL YOU'RE TALKING...THIS WHOLE TALK ABOUT FREEDOM OF SPEECH IS JUST A BUNCH OF BS.THAT IS JUST EXCUSE TO SPEW YOUR HATRED..BUT SINCE YOU'RE SAYING THAT EVERYONE CAN TALK THEIR MIND..HOW ABOUT THIS?WHY DON'T YOU GO JUMP OFF A CLIFF & DIE?THAT'S RIGHT,THIS WORLD WOULD BE MUCH BETTER OFF WITHOUT YOUR SORRY,UGLY,STINKING HONEKY RACIST SELF..YOU HEARD ME,I CALLED U HONKEY...& BTW..NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR COMMENTS..SO SHUT THE F*** UP DUMBASS.

Jason

Here’s a shocker, the 2 hecklers have already attained high-profile attorney Gloria Allred. I wonder how many of the other folks who were present that infamous night are also planning to sue?

I don’t agree with Richards’ actions, but let’s be realistic here, these 2 hecklers are going to be given more money than they could probably earn is 50 years. When everything is said and done, this will probably be the single best thing that has ever happened to them. I hate to say it, but it’s true…

duh

FIRST, I WOULD LIKE FOR POST #18, TO GET SOME OF HIS/HER FACTS STRAIGHT!!! SEE I STARTED TO BE THE IGNORANT N*GGER THAT YOU SO FREQUENTLY TALK ABOUT AND CURSE YOU OUT WITH EVERY OBSCENITY THAT I KNOW... BUT THEN I REALIZED THAT SMALL MINDED PEOPLE TALK ABOUT SMALL THINGS AND THOSE THINGS YOU SAID ABOUT BLACKS WAS SMALL MINDED. WE (BLACK PEOPLE) DID NOT VOLUNTEER TO COME TO AMERICA, YOUR GREAT ANCESTORS WANTED US OVER HERE. LASTLY, NOT ALL BLACK PEOPLE ARE IGNORANT AND IRRESPONSIBILE, MOST OF US ARE JUST AS WELL EDUCATED AND HAVE MORE RESPONSIBILITIES THAN ANY OTHER RACE. HERE'S SOMETHING FOR YOU TO THINK ABOUT, WHAT RACE HAS BEEN IN THE MEDIA LATELY?