Cheney to Blitzer: Lay Off My Lesbian Daughter

1/24/2007 7:38 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Click to return to TMZ.comVice President Dick Cheney went off on CNN's "Situation Room" host Wolf Blitzer for asking him about ... his lesbian daughter Mary's pregnancy.

On Wednesday's episode, Blitzer congratulated the sneering Veep on the impending birth of his grandchild, while adding that some conservative groups are critical of Mary's pregnancy. Blitzer then read a statement by the anti-gay Christian organizaton, Focus on the Family. "Mary Cheney's pregnancy raises the question of what's best for children. Just because it's possible to conceive a child outside of the relationship of a married mother and father, doesn't mean it's best for the child."

A steaming Dick would not respond to the comment but did seethe, "I'm delighted -- I'm delighted I'm about to have a sixth grandchild, Wolf, and obviously think the world of both of my daughters and all of my grandchildren. And I think, frankly, you're out of line with that question."

Blitzer, who stated he was sympathetic to Mary and her partner Liz, tried defending himself by saying, "That was just a question that's come up and it's a responsible, fair question." But Cheney wasn't having it and fumed, "I just fundamentally disagree with your perspective." Wolf quickly switched topics to another controversial woman Cheney's not too happy with, Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

This isn't the first time Dick was inflamed by someone mentioning his lesbian daughter. In 2004, the Cheneys found it inappropriate when John Kerry mentioned Mary's homosexuality during a presidential debate.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

vega lee

that's right all those damn homos shouldn't have kids.
it's best for children to live in homes with a mother and father. Even if there is battery, and abuse, and ignorance.. . at least it would be coming from a WOMAN and a MAN.
jesus christ wouldn't have it any other way

Little Titty

Did you see this joke at the State of the Union address? He looked like a slobbering stroke victim in depends. Lesbian makin' Daddy.

Aileen

WTG Cheney. the comment is not relevant and his daughters personal life is not the media's concern.

tina

Vega Lee: how stupid can you possible be? Do you honestly believe that? You are a dangerous person. People like you are scary.

Sand In My Crack

vega lee..you were trying to be sarcastic..right?????

Vega Lee Get a life

Vega Lee. Why dont you get a life and join the year of 2007. Thats right its 2007. Obviously you came from a broken home. Battery abuse and ignorance. Your ignorant you stupid f#ck!

Dan

He's obviously embarrassed about his daughter...

It would be hard to try and support her and be mortified about public comments at the same time!

Greg

Of course the conversation is relevant. The Fundamentalists have been speaking agains gay marriage and children for years. The Republican Party including the current administration has supported this position for year. It is only fair to know how Cheney responds to the critisism of his own daughter by supporters of his party and policies.

Ayla of no people

Vega lee...I love your sarcasm.

I personally would find it repulsive if Cheney dissed his daughter. I'm sure that no matter what he really feels, he loves his daughter above all.

TH

Cheney is obviously ashamed of his daughter, despite what he proclaims or he wouldn't have such a hissy-fit when asked a question like this. Cheney's in the public eye and should be accustomed to being asked this type of question repeatedly. It is an interesting news item. Here's a man who's aligned with a party that hates homosexuals, and the #2 man has a daughter that is gay. I found it rather interesting to hear it referred to on a news program some weeks back that Cheney's daughter's partner was the "wife", yet Cheney's daughter is the one pregnant. I guess in a confused relationship like this, gay women as husband's are now capable of having children; sort of like being the mom and dad rolled into one. I'm sure the kid will be loved, but it's also going to grow up really confused, which will lead to other psychological issues. Pity the child. Cheney's daughter is only concerned about herself and her partner; afterall, the kid is merely a political statement and a liefestyle choice prop.

kate

it IS relevant if cheney and his administration are supporting legislation to prevent other homosexual families from having children and getting married. if someone is willing to express one opinion politically, while acting differently in their private life (acceptance of his daughter), then this is certainly fair game for public commentary.

tina

God doesn't HATE anyone. YOU are dangerous and scary and mean and a very dark soul.

beatrice

Yes, absolutely, those questions about Cheney's daughter are way out of line...oh, wait. That's Cheney, who's the second-in-command to a man who's trying to pass a Constitutional amendment forbidding gay couples to have any sort of legally recognized relationship. I don't really think he's got a leg to stand on when it comes to being morally outraged - it just makes him look like a hypocrite.
Of course, this IS the guy who helped us get into this Iraq mess, but conveniently avoided ever serving in the armed forces during the Vietnam draft. So it's not like people didn't already know old Darth Cheney was a hypocrite.

Joe

GEE VEGA LEE ARE WE PLANNING A PIPE BOMB OR GAY BASHING ANYTIME SOON. PEOPLE LIKE YOU SHOULD BE LOCKED BEHIND BARS AND SENT TO THE FRONT LINES IN IRAQ TO FIGHT A WAR THAT YOU OBVIOUSLY SUPPORT. PEOPLE LIKE MAKE ME WANT TO OUTLAW ALL RELIGON BECAUSE ALL I'VE SEEN IT DO TO PEOPLE LIKE YOU AND PEOPLE LIKE BUSH AND CHENNEY IS CREATE HATE, FEAR, BIGOTRY, AND VIOLENCE TWORDS PEOPLE YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW. PEOPLE LIKE YOU MAKE ME ABSOULTY SICK AND I HOPE THAT YOU SEEK THE HELP THAT PEOPLE LIKE ISSAH WASHINGTON NEED. SO ALL I HAVE TO SAY TO SUM UP YOU IS GET BENT!

ERIS

Dangerous people are people who can't be loving, understanding, and open-minded. I'm a "breeder" and I do believe that anyone that is willing to love a child the proper way is deserving of having a child. Not just someone that wants to say >>>>Look what I can do.....I have a kid!!! But unfortunately, there are many heteros and homos out there that do it for the wrong reason but we gotta give everyone the chance to be a good parent no matter what their sexual preferrence is. As long as you are fair to the opposite sexual preferrence. I grew up in a big city. I had straight, gay, lesbian, transvestite, transgender, as well as all the different ethnicities and religions. I've learned to accept people if their values of life is the same as mine: Living a decent life and loving my family. Who they worship, sleep with, and the color of their skin never mattered. Just respect me and my values and I'll respect yours.
We gotta stop hating people based on things that they really don't have control over and many times sexual preference is something know from a very young age.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments