Cheney to Blitzer: Lay Off My Lesbian Daughter

1/24/2007 7:38 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Click to return to TMZ.comVice President Dick Cheney went off on CNN's "Situation Room" host Wolf Blitzer for asking him about ... his lesbian daughter Mary's pregnancy.

On Wednesday's episode, Blitzer congratulated the sneering Veep on the impending birth of his grandchild, while adding that some conservative groups are critical of Mary's pregnancy. Blitzer then read a statement by the anti-gay Christian organizaton, Focus on the Family. "Mary Cheney's pregnancy raises the question of what's best for children. Just because it's possible to conceive a child outside of the relationship of a married mother and father, doesn't mean it's best for the child."

A steaming Dick would not respond to the comment but did seethe, "I'm delighted -- I'm delighted I'm about to have a sixth grandchild, Wolf, and obviously think the world of both of my daughters and all of my grandchildren. And I think, frankly, you're out of line with that question."

Blitzer, who stated he was sympathetic to Mary and her partner Liz, tried defending himself by saying, "That was just a question that's come up and it's a responsible, fair question." But Cheney wasn't having it and fumed, "I just fundamentally disagree with your perspective." Wolf quickly switched topics to another controversial woman Cheney's not too happy with, Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

This isn't the first time Dick was inflamed by someone mentioning his lesbian daughter. In 2004, the Cheneys found it inappropriate when John Kerry mentioned Mary's homosexuality during a presidential debate.

maria

first smart thing cheney ever said.
good for him.

Maddy

Wolf was out of line. Cheney is in the public eye, but to put him on the hot seat for the choices his daughter makes is wrong. And you all know it.

HeatRock

Wolf Blitzer was out of line, as was John Kerry. Personal, family relationships have nothing to do with his job as Vice President.
If you were being asked questions about your JOB, would you find it appropriate to discuss your family's business? No way!
Consider this: perhaps the man is trying to protect his daughter, her partner and their child. They have to live in a community where they are people who could bring harm to them because of their relationship. Hello? Hate crimes, anyone???

HeatRock

oooops!
I wrote:

I meant:
They live in a community were THERE are people who could bring harm to them because of their relationship.

Sorry!

me

The majority of you people have no respect for anyone or anything. It is nothing but sad.

Jim

Sorry, but The Dick is just a little too sensative about all this.

We, are not amused.

I remember that scene in that HBO movie that Spike Lee did about Hurricane Katrina where the Vice President was finally ordered to go and" show the flag" down on the Gulf Coast and he was answering some reporters dumb as question when a voice off camera said:

"F*** you, Mr Cheney!"

I will be so glad when all these f***tards are finally GONE from Washington.

F*** YOU MR. CHENNEY

It's good to see our friends "Freddy Jr" and the "God hates fags" groups have crawled back out from under the rocks. There is a special place in hell for all of yous!

mojo jojo

I like the part about the "Steaming Dick" and that "Dick was inflamed" by a question about his daughter...very creative writng!

Rofl

ChristianGirl

Jesus Christ would NEVER condem anyone!
God does NOT hate homosexuals! People who say that hate homosexuals...don't blame your hate on God.
A "True Christian/Catholic" would never use the word HATE...Jesus never hated...he loved!

Kate

What a tacky statement/question Wolf posed. If it was his other daughter pregnant, I doubt she would give a tenth of this press. I'm a Christian mother, and the fact that a child is gay doesn't change your love for them. It's just another example of one party trying to stick it to the other.....A new low.

Great Dane

I don't know how you could support a man as president...when that man, doesn't accept YOUR CHILD......

Wooderson

It was John Edwards that made the comment during the VP debate, not Kerry. Be that as it may, I think Wolf could have respectfully left that question alone. I think it has been well publicized how uncomfortable Cheney is about the topic of homosexuality. Wolf was hoping to bate him into making a controversial comment on the subject.

Reine

I think it was out of line. His daughter has said that her father accepted that she was gay & told he just want her to be happy. My hats off to Cheney.

Amy

"Of course, this IS the guy who helped us get into this Iraq mess, but conveniently avoided ever serving in the armed forces during the Vietnam draft. So it's not like people didn't already know old Darth Cheney was a hypocrite."

Posted at 6:36PM on Jan 24th 2007 by beatrice

I'd like to point out that Clinton also dodged the draft. Did you come down on him regarding that while he was in office? No one can do everything just right to please everyone. It's so easy to point a finger and call someone else a hypocrite, but are you so sure you're fit to judge? Do you do everything right with no fault at all?

"Cheney is obviously ashamed of his daughter, despite what he proclaims or he wouldn't have such a hissy-fit when asked a question like this."

Posted at 6:47PM on Jan 24th 2007 by TH

It's nice to know someone here can read Cheney's mind. *roll eyes* Maybe, just maybe, there's another reason why he doesn't want to discuss the matter. Did you ever consider that he feels like he's stuck between a rock and a hard place? He's a Republican who has a lesbian daughter. Historically, Republicans are Christians who believe that homosexuality is a sin. But that doesn't mean he fits into that very tight box. There are some people who are fiscal Republicans, but who are also a bit more liberal socially. It is possible that he supports his daughter and therefore supports gay rights, but being in the party he is, he may feel pressure to not say anything at all. He's going to get heat from both Republicans and Democrats. He really can't win here.

"If Cheney is going to openly say he's against gay marriage but he's got no problem with his own daughter having a child and being in a lesbian relationship, that's just a teensy bit hipocritcal and has a lot to say about the integrity of this man."

Posted at 9:14PM on Jan 24th 2007 by Adrienne

I disagree. One can be against gay marriage but accept that one's daughter is in a lesbian relationship and having a child. You have to remember that Cheney is a Republican and most likely grew up as one and probably in a very religious home (I'm guessing here). Tradition is a very hard thing to break. And when you're taught that the Bible has the last word, it's difficult to go against that. Marriage is, according to the Bible, supposed to be a sacred union between a man and a woman. There are a lot of people who will fight tooth and nail to make sure that doesn't change.

"Elected officials are fair game for public scrutiny, not their families."

Posted at 12:04AM on Jan 25th 2007 by Louie

I completely agree with that statement, Louie.

"Can you imagine the how much teasing this kid will receive for having two mommies - that's not right. Raising children for gay couples should be illegal!"

Posted at 2:04AM on Jan 25th 2007 by DG

In my opinion, that is the most ridiculous statement ever typed. Kids are teased constantly for very petty things. Children are resiliant and strong. They can get through being teased by other kids. I really don't think that because a child will be teased should be a reason at all for your argument. Try again!

"If you are a politician, a person with a lot of power....the one thing I owuld want for my CHILD......would be acceptance, acknowledgement.......but the ENTIRE time Cheney plays it down, HIDES it......proves to the whole world that he is embaressed of someone....someone that shares his blood, his family......and he is a POOR EXAMPLE OF A FATHER......."

Posted at 10:06AM on Jan 25th 2007 by Great Dane

Once again, this is just my opinion, but I do believe that Cheney is simply trying to respect his family by not talking about this. Chances are he's had a hard time accepting that his daughter is gay. It goes against everything he's ever believed, most likely. But I don't see anything in Cheney's demeanor that suggests he's ashamed of his daughter at all.

Every parent wants the best for their child. My mother wasn't happy when I decided to marry at the age of 19. While it did take her a while to adjust to my decision, she accepted it and never told others that she was upset that I married so young. (I do have to admit, she was right, I married too young and eventually divorced.)

My current boyfriend has an aunt who is a lesbian. I was asking her how she would've felt if her nephew had turned out gay. She said she wouldn't wish that upon anyone. Being homosexual right now is a hard life to live. There are so many people who will never accept that people are gay.

I applaud Cheney for keeping the conversation between himself and Blitzer off the topic of his daughter. It seems to me the more attention we put on someone because of their sexuality, race, religion, whatever - the harder it is for people to get past their phobias and accept others' differences. Of course, it doesn't mea

Leslie

I am a Chrisitian and I am horrified by all the comments that other "so-called Christians" make regarding homosexuality. If you were true Chrisitans then you would remember that Jesus loves all, accepts all, and even walked with prostitutes when he was alive. God does not hate homosexuals, he may not agree with it but he accepts them and loves them because he loves all his children. You should be ashamed of yourselves because as God of children we should encourage people to join in the Lord's walk not alienate them. And to say that a child growing up in an abusive home rather than by two loving parents regardless of their sexual preference is just plain old ignorant. For all the homosexuals reading this not all Christians are as mean spirited as Vega Lee.