Smokey Steaming Over "Dreamgirls" Diss

1/26/2007 3:34 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Smokey Robinson took a swipe at Beyonce, Jamie Foxx and Eddie Murphy over what he perceives are inaccuracies in the hit movie "Dreamgirls."

On today's NPR "Morning Edition," Robinson said he is "very upset" over the "false information" in the film. Talking about the character modeled after Motown founder Berry Gordy, Robinson said, "Nobody was paying us. So he (Gordy) borrowed $800 from his family's fund and started Motown so that we could be paid. And for him to be maligned and made out like this villainous character is very, very, very offensive to me."

Robinson took issue with the stars of the film, saying that they belittled their history: "Motown is Beyonce's heritage. Motown is Jamie Foxx's heritage. Motown is Eddie Murphy's heritage. You know what I mean? They're black people. They're young black people. America should be proud of Motown because Motown made a statement all over the world that America could be proud of."

Click here to listen to the full story.

Bettsie

Eddie's mad and I'm glad cause I know how to tease him. We're talking acting here I like Eddie Murphy but I didn't see him in Dreamgirls so I can't say whether he or Alan Arkin deserved it more. I seen Little Miss Sunshine. It was O.K. Why didn't they promote Dreamgirls too. I and a zillion others would be able to tell you if Eddie Murphy deserved it more then Alan Arkin. I believe the Oscar is based on all their contributions to films. I know Dreamgirls was looking good at the beginning of the Oscar's but for some reason I had a funny feeling Eddie wouldn't get it. I also didn't think Forrest Whittaker should have got it for that film, he's done better work then that. Who knows what The Academy takes into consideration, good PR, bad PR, but I'll rent a movie with Eddie Murphy before I rent one with Forrest Whittaker. Hey they say it's a pretty big deal to be nominated. Posted by BLONDIE

Standards are badly needed.

Here, here.
Listen to your elders.
They know. Go Smokey. Good for you for putting this out there.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

Is Dreamgirls movie fiction, fact, or 1/2 & 1/2?
Loved everything Barry Gordy put out there. It MADE the 60's. Ask anyone.

Britney's Lawyer

Yo Smokey, it's a work of fiction. Chill out. If you want historical accuracy, watch a documentary.

Puh der Baer

I believe Gordy DID try to help bands in the beginning. So? Then he got very rich, too big for his britches, and had people killed, including one of the original Supremes, or tried with her, I don't remember. But he had others killed.

Puh der Baer

I'll bet Jimmy Hoffa started out all full of ideals, also.

Dryer

Smokey,
can you say a work of fiction loosely based on the Supremes and Motown. By the way, why wasn't Smokey making his negative comments 25 years ago when Dreamgirls was an acclaimed Broadway play. I think he's just trying to get his name back out there!

Momma

Blah, Blah, Blah
Its always something about heritage!!!

Linda

Love Smokey..... love Motown .... love Dreamgirls = it's entertainment!! No where has it been stated that this is a FACTUAL story about Motown/Supremes, et al. And even if it were, why jump on the ACTORS??? THEY didn't write it! Love ya, Smokey, but chill!

ezze

Ironic how Ms. Ross used the current press to conveniently drop an album. Does Mr. Robinson have one in the works? BTW the movie is GREAT!!

Tasha

Yo Smokey, it wasn't a documentary on Motown.

the wise old owl

I haven't seen the movie so I don't know how they protrayed Barry Gordy Jr. I do know I grew up listening to the sounds of Motown..........AND LOVED IT . Smokey Robinson is a great talent and knows the facts about the true character of Barry Gordy Jr. He was there and he lived it.

. I think it's fine if he wants to " set the record straight ". However.......I think the general public knows that writers embelish and dramatize actual events and people's dispositions to made the motion picture more entertaining.

At least he's a man of loyality and I think we all wish we had a friend like that. He is still watching his buddy's back .........long after he died. GOOD FOR YOU SMOKEY. Just telling it like it is.

I love America

I am getting so tired of hearing about this movie! You think they was the only black people that ever made a movie, did you notice at the awards the other night Jamie Fox only called out to the blacks. He can say the N word and make fun of the big O but no one else can. No wonder we still have problems out there with blacks & whites. I have many black friends and they are also getting tired of hearing about this movie too! Can we all just get along?

ms

I also was under the impression that this was loosely based on the Supremes..I have heard enough from the original Broadway actors. They are constantly talking about how they weren't consulted, had no input, YADAYADA..Look, they wanted to make a movie version and I don't think there was any law that it had to be EXACTLY like the original version..Smokey, come on, let it go.

queenie

Explain to me how the stars of the film "belittled their history"?..Don't get it..IT'S A MOVIE!!!..IT'S NOT CLAIMING TO BE FACT!!!..Smokey's comments make no sense.

Esme

Oh for God's sake, this is "loosely" based on the Supremes and Motown--Smokey needs to get over himself. People should jump on him for the ridiculous facelift he has that makes him look like a cigarstore Indian--talk about putting out "false information." I guess he's trying to ignite his long dead career.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments