O'Neal: Griffin Attacked Me With a Fireplace Poker

2/5/2007 1:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Ryan O'Neal -- New details in assault case.Ryan O'Neal says that it was his son Griffin who instigated the incident that led to Ryan's arrest on suspicion of assault early Saturday morning, as first reported by TMZ. In a statement to TMZ issued by O'Neal's rep, Ryan accuses Griffin of "wildly swinging a fireplace poker" at him, an action that allegedly caused an injury to Griffin's pregnant girlfriend.

O'Neal adds further details in an interview with the Los Angeles Times. He charges that his son grazed him "four or five times" with the fireplace poker and that when he ducked to avoid the swinging weapon, Griffin "hit his own girlfriend in the head." O'Neal adds that he got "nervous" because of the woman's pregnancy. "I fled to my room," he says, "and I got my gun." When Griffin pursued him anew, says Ryan, he fired his gun "into the banister" which scared Griffin into fleeing.

Ryan O'Neal's rep Neil Hassman tells TMZ this morning that Ryan is "back at work" on FOX's "Bones" today and is "extremely sad and upset that this happened. Ryan was acting from a purely DEFENSIVE posture, but that doesn't change the fact that he and his son had a terrible falling out." Neither Griffin nor his girlfriend could be reached for comment.

Father and son O'Neal have tussled before: In 1983, Ryan knocked out two of Griffin's teeth in an altercation. Police were called but no charges filed. Griffin O'Neal was found guilty of reckless boating for his part in the death of Gian-Carlo Coppola, the son of Francis Ford Coppola. He also pleaded no contest to drunk driving in 1989 and no contest in 1992 to charges that he shot at his then-estranged girlfriend's empty car.

The Duke

Meanwhile, where was Tatum during this whole episode?? Yeah, I know she has her own pad but I bet she would have beat her brother up pretty bad. She's tough! Remember Paper Moon? Ohhhhh, I'm dating myself, eh? Ooops. - The Duke

paulie

Sad story indeed. Love means never having to defend yourself from a son with a fireplace poker. A pregnant onlooker. Recipe for disaster. The gun part is scary, but it seemed to end a dangerous situation. Work it out guys. Life is too short.

steve

WHACKED BASTARD.............................!

h8er#1

I had no idea Francis Ford Coppola had lost a son! Griffin has always been a f*ck up and when Tatum admitted to their family dysfunction he lied and denied. The truth will be known!

Tired and Ready for A Nap

hey Duke, I'm dating myself, too, but I remember all the horrible trouble Griffin O'Neal has gotten into. The incident where he was recklessly driving a boat that got his friend killed was just horrible. He should have been put away for that one. It is very sad to say this, but, Griffin O'Neal has done nothing productive. He has wasted his life ... with all that privledge and money. He is NOT a child anymore. He's a waste and I'm sure that he's blamed his parents for everything that has gone wrong.

I would think that this last week would have been a time for great celebration for Ryan O'Neal what with Farrah Fawcett being declared clear of cancer. I think Mr. O'Neal was also battling cancer.

When you have to defend youself against your own child, well, that's one sad situation.

the wise old owl

Wow ! Griffin went at him with a fire pocker. Yikes ! These 2 should not be in the same room together. They seem to bring out " the worst " in each other. Both of them need to complete a course in : anger management " before they are left alone again. I feel sorry for his pregnant girlfirend. Just imagine what's in store for her and that baby. I hope they both get HELP.

Sand In My Crack

What's a fire pocker?

SailorAlphaCentauri

Hopefully, father and son will get help before someone ends up dead.

richards

Cliched Behavior . Irish Much ?

Darlen

BAD FATHER FROM DAY 1...I always loved Ryan as an actor, but I think he failed in the parent department. He knocked his kids teeth out, he contributed to his drug addication by not being there when needed. Tatum has her issues and some of this has to be fingered toward Ryan. Ryan you did this early on when the kid needed love and affection and you were not there. Hollywood kids are sad to me...Connie

Darlen

Tatum will lash out on her father as she has in the past. I like Tatum and I hope that she will get her act together and start living and loving herself. Connie

Lisa

What ever happened to his son with Leigh Taylor-Young? His name is Patrick.
I think his is his only child that turned out okay without a lot of dysfunction.

We, are not amused.

I think Ryan missed his best chance at solving, once and for all this problem: swinging a poker at you "four or five times", he would have been justified in busting a cap in his ass.
This is pretty f***ed up sh*t!

ezze

Marvin Gaye's situation all over again...how sad.

winetime

I wonder if the girlfriends story matches up w/ Ryan's- if so then why did they arrest him??

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments