"Lost" Diary -- Stranger in a Strange Land

2/22/2007 3:31 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Hey, it's Daniel from TMZ here, back with another edition of the "Lost" Diary. After last week's epic episode, I am psyched for this week. "Lost" is back (back, meaning good again) and I couldn't be happier.

There were some unbelievably great comments last week. Some notes on a few of them:

-- A ton of you said that you thought of me immediately when you heard about Charlie's impending death. OK, so not only do I obsess over the potential death of a fictional television character, but now even total strangers I have never met know it too.

-- Most of you agree Charlie should die, but it seems the second most disliked character is Kate. She has gotten pretty annoying and all she's good for is being held at gunpoint.

For all you "Lost" Diary newbies, here's how it goes. I gather with a group of friends watching "Lost," writing what happens on the show as it happens, and throwing in my two cents along the way. This week the usual crew of Ari, Lauren and Matt is back together -- kinda like Van Halen reuniting, only none of us play any instruments. Let's roll:

10:00
-- Kate wants Sawyer to turn the boat around to go back and rescue Jack (predictable) while Karl is babbling incoherently about God and Jacob. When was the last time Kate said something where she wasn't whining?

10:01 -- Jack thinks the Others plan on killing him now, and he's got every reason to think so. But Henry Gale did promise to send him "home," which I think we all know isn't happening. My prediction: the Others start to send him home, only Locke and Sayid and the rest of them "rescue" him and ruin it. Just a thought.

10:02 -- "Hey." -- Juliet. Things don't look so good for her.

10:06 -- And it's Jack flashback time. Prepare for either daddy issues or dumped by his wife issues.

10:07 -- Or hot Asian woman on the beach issues.

10:08 -- Jack's in Sawyer's cage and apparently the Others have a "sheriff."

10:10 -- Kate and Sawyer are having some post-coital problems, and Karl is kinda creeping me out. But he is full of info, so there's that.

10:12 -- Juliet is trying to get Jack to help Ben as a "personal favor" to her. Other than the fact she's hot, why would we do her a favor? Jack, remember, she's evil.

10:18 -- Oh look, Jack brought up his dad. Didn't see that coming.

10:19 -- "I have a gift." -- Achara. I'm sure that won't come up later.

10:20 -- Isabelle wants to ask Jack a few questions. First impression: she's kind of creepy, but only kind of.

10:21 -- Apparently, Isabelle is "investigating" whether or not Juliet tried to get Jack to kill Henry. I half expected to hear the "Law & Order" sound. What are the odds Jack lies to save Juliet? I am going 80/20 that he does.

10:22 -- What a sap.

10:23 -- Not sure what I think about this Isabelle. Feels like they are trying to force another creepy character on us. The rest of the room thinks she's a transvestite; a tad harsh, I think. What happened to Ms. Klugh?

10:26 -- Well at least Jack scored with Achara. There is a dirty joke here to be made about her "gift," but I'm gonna be the adult here and let it go.

10:28 -- Hey it's Cindy from the back of the plane and she's "there to watch." That doesn't sound good. Oh Cindy, Ana Lucia's dead and she was a bitch, too. Sorry to break it to you.

10:30 -- Karl ran away to hide in the woods and cry and has never heard of "The Brady Bunch." Except for the episode in Hawaii with Vincent Price and the tiki, I wish I had never heard of it either. Lauren wonders why they aren't questioning Karl more. Fair point.

10:32 -- Gotta admit, I am bored as hell. The room is restless and throwing out four-letter words.

10:33 -- Apparently, Alex has daddy issues too. She and Jack will have a lot to talk about.

10:34 -- And Jack wants out of his cage. Maybe now something will actually happen.

10:39 -- "The cavalry has arrived at last." -- Henry Gale. If this were a cheezy 90s sitcom, the studio audience would applaud Henry's first appearance -- it's long overdue.

10:40 -- So Ethan was a surgeon. He kinda looked more like he worked at UPS.

10:41 -- So Jack is going to save Ben to save Juliet. Can a man be (another word for a small cat)-whipped if they haven't even had sex? Grow a pair Jack!

10:42 -- By the way, part of me thinks Jack is lying about the infection just to save Juliet.. Only, again, I don't think he has the cajones.

10:43 -- "My work is not decoration, it is definition." -- Achara. Bit of a letdown on the whole "gift" thing. I wish it had been something dirty.

10:45
-- I think Jack just committed reverse tattoo rape. Never thought I'd coin that phrase.

10:46 -- "He has, however, ordered her to be marked." -- Isabelle. Like a tattoo? Like "The Scarlett Letter"? What kind of mark are we talking about here?

10:50
-- Three things about Jack's beating: 1) His tattoo wasn't complete. 2) Reverse tattoo rape has its consequences. 3) I really thought one of the guys was going to say, "Welcome to Thailand, bitch!" R.I.P. "The O.C."

10:51 -- I was kind of expecting Juliet's "mark" to be like Jack's tattoo, not a branding.

10:54 -- Juliet says they're leaving the island and taking Jack back to where they live. We saw their little village when the plane crashed, so "where they live" shouldn't be a huge surprise. But so many people have mentioned it during the episode, I kinda think it will be.

10:55 -- Sawyer thinks Kate threw him a "I thought you were going to die" lay, and she doesn't appear to be denying it. That's gotta hurt.

10:56 -- So Jack's tattoo says, "He walks amongst us, but he is not one of us." Jack says, "That's what they say, but that's not what they mean." Thanks, Yoda.

10:57 -- Nothing is really happening.

10:58 -- Still nothing.

10:59 -- Huh?

Normally I now do a "What did we learn this week?" But I am too angry for that. What the hell was that? On the heels of one of the best episodes ever, we get a complete and utter waste of an hour. Just a severe, other level disappointment.

According to the promos, we were supposed to get three mysteries solved, but I only counted two: what Jack's tattoo means (like anyone really cared about that!), and why no one watches "Lost" anymore. I can't defend this episode, so I am just going to stop writing about it. Tomorrow's "O.C." finale better be good, or else I will really lose it.

This is the spot where I usually throw out a question to try and spark comments, but it seems futile this week, since every comment will probably be about how much this episode sucked. But if you can come up with anything good that came out of this week, I'd LOVE to hear it. Seriously, anything at all.

(Deep breath ... Come on Daniel, it's just a television show.)

Sorry, normally I am not this negative. So let's try this again. Here is my question to you: If you could pick one word to describe your reaction to tonight's episode, what would it be?

See you next week.

Stacie

ok that was a horrible episode! you have sawyer let the boy go and why? he could tell them things about the others, like where their "home" is!! as for jack in the cage, what where those people going to watch? were they going to watch juliette's trial or her execution? and did anyone notice that one of the kids had that rabbit or bear thing that what's his names son had( how soon we forget them after they leave the show). So, they are brainwashing people to work on their island for what? I just don't understand!! I am ready for something to happen that doesn't spend the entire night showing how someone got a tattoo!!
Hey what is going to happen now that no one is pushing the button- or are they?

Cree

Bland! After one of the most amazing episodes ever 'Stranger...' can only be considered run-of-the-mill. I didn't think it was the worst episode ever, but it certainly offered up nothing in the way of answers. Usually on Lost if were don't get any answers we are at least treated to a few intriguing new questions. I can't say the same for this one.
I will never stop watching Lost. I will never threaten to stop watching Lost. The great episodes are just too great to quit. But i will hope that the producers stop toying with us and set us on a clear path. I want them to take us a step closer to the end each week. This episode seemed to bring us no closer to the end than we were a few weeks ago.

yabadabadooo

Hey Stacie,

Get with the program, the HATCH blew up because they were not pushing the button. Re-wind........... you need to time travel like Desmond baby!!!!!

michy

I was, like most, annoyed with the episode. This thing is getting very Jack-heavy. Why have a large cast of talented people and loads of potential and then just basically, well drop them on an island and leave them, so to speak? I definitely feels like a vehicle spinning out of control. And I would not be offended at all if Jack and Kate ended up sacrificed to the 4-toed island gods.

One thought I had about Sawyer not questioning Krazy Karl: was that the writers' way of giving Sawyer a heart? Showing that he is not just this soul-less criminal that looks good without a shirt? And showing that his feelings for Kate may run deeper than a freckle fetish? By feeling sorry for Karl and sending him after his girlfriend, I think that makes Sawyer more vulnerable and human.

Oh Locke and Sayid...how I miss ye...

meganjoy

well i didnt totally hate this ep. i thought bai ling was super hott and that was fun...but what about the 3 questions i got 2 of them....first the tattoo, it means he is a leader (i.e. getting suck on the island and being in charge) but says he is an outsider, maybe because he doesnt fit in with other people (maybe also having to do with the island and being suck there and that such) ...the second answered question was what happened to all the people they took, and well they are still living it looks like and part of the group now, since that girl made it pretty clear she thinks the "others" are not bad people.....but what was the third thing answered ? was it about where the others lived, or was it about how kate really feels about sawyer or was it something that we all missed or was that 3 thing just a big fat lie to get people 2 watch .... hhhmmmmm

Heidi

tottally crappy
If ya'll listen to the 'Official' Lost podcast, then it's pretty obvious that Lindeloff and that Carlton Cuse guy are completely getting off on this...it's starting to loose it's luster...I am cheating on LOST with 'Heroes' every monday night and ' My name is Earl' every Thursday night and I don't care who knows...we are in love!!!! hahahahaha...

Amy

the jack-kate-sawyer-athon must end!!!

Debbie

One word
Wha? I suppose that isnt a whole word but you get it
The brand- Is it dharma project?

YviP

Well it's not a word, it's an acronym; WTF!

Tony

This episode confirmed one thought......

HEROES is a great show!

"Lost" could take some lessons on how to keep people INTERESTED!!!!!

I've already bailed on "Lost"....it blows. I am convinced even the writers have no idea how to wrap up this dog turd of a show and explain it.....

Ratings will start to drop...it'll be gone by next season......

DbDb

Thinking back to Bible class now. Isn't the phrase "he walks among us but is not one of us" a phrase that's used to describe Jesus at some point ? Jack as a Jesus metaphor - think about it. He is a healer. Where does it lead - I have no clue.

Nikki

Yes people, the epi kind of sucked and Bai Ling was the totally wrong choice but the epi DID answer 3 mysteries, all be it, crappy ones. Hopefully, next weeks episode will be better. It looks better from the previews. What I want to know is: WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO THE BIG 4 TOED FOOT STATUE THING????? Now that is a mystery in itself!

SM

The problem with Lost lately is that the have split the ensemble too much. Focusing too much on Jack, Sawyer, Kate. Love triangles. Yadda, Yadda, Yadda. I don't understand why they used to be able to focus on half a dozen things in an episode but now they can't occasionally get back to the rest of the crew each week.

Dreamer

One problem with getting answers to mysteries is that the answers are almost always a let down - your own imagination is so much better. Remember when "The Others" were totally unknown, apart from whispers and infiltrators? The more we learn about them, the more boring they are. My fear is that when we finally do get answers, the fun will be gone. Of course, there has been very little fun this season, anyway, except for Desmond's flash back.

As for Jack, Sawyer and Kate's inability to ask even the most mundane and obvious questions to the people who might actually give them answers - maybe they are infected with the mysterious illness. Maybe one of the symptoms is a loss of common sense.

Linsay

I didn't think this episode was too bad actually. Yeah I think it could have been better. But think of this, the writers put in so many mysteries last season to make it interesting they had to unravel them so they can get on with the show. I did not like the Asian slut though.