Arizona Jail Goes Sing Sing Over "Idol"

3/22/2007 1:18 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Not only are they behind bars, they're ready to sing in one! What a con test!

Maricopa County Sheriffs have developed their own version of "American Idol," called "Inmate Idle," in which 15 jailbirds battle for lockdown supremacy, not with homemade shivs, but with their singing! According to reps from the Sheriff's Office, the competition is an attempt to boost morale and give inmates a positive way to spend their jail time.

The vote for the six finalists will be held tonight, with Alice Cooper set to judge tomorrow night's live show. It's rumored that basketball legend Charles Barkley is interested in sitting at the judge's table as well.

The Sheriff who greenlit the event, Joe Arpaio, is notorious for his "unique" treatment of prisoners -- his inmates wear pink jumpsuits and live in tents in the middle of the Arizona desert. No need to say that anyone's singing could get them arrested.

Morghedia

You have got to be kidding!

lt

Most of them are better than Sanjaya.

Vickie

I think that is a great idea...I commend Joe Arpaio for doing that. :)

3.14

Laughing MY ASS OFF! now thats a tv show i would watch! hey Simon go be a judge in Jail and bring Paula!

Larry baby you go!

Pink????

Some jails are going this color..So funny!

Jane Smith

Sheriff Joe Arpaio is AMAZING!!! Read up on this sheriff, He should run for PRESIDENT!!!

SHERIFF, You get TWO SNAPS from me!!!!!

Miapocca

H I L A R I O US

Best story on TMZ ever, ROFLMAO

Shannon

Prison sounds like fun! If I ever get locked up I hope it’s there!!!

fan

Sheriff Arpaio has done some good work on getting people to turn their lives around.
some wear it as a badge of honor to have been in his jail. And yes these guys sound better than some of the Idles.

NCaudill

A REAL punishment would be to have to sit through hours and hours of this bad singing. I'd rather sit in a roach-infested cell with a slop bucket and a boloney sandwich than endure a moment of anything 'Idol'.

catie

I think its funny as hell. I used to work there at the 4th ave jail....this idea has been in the works since 05 and I remember most of the inmates hating the idea so am suprised that it made it this far.

Lena

IS THAT GUY BO BICE? LOL

Virginia

Sounds retarded. But at least Alice cooper is a judge. After being a serious alcoholic for so many years, Alice cooper has sopposedly become a Christian and has supposedly opened a center in Arizona to keep kids from getting in trouble and to build a constructive life. Says a lot for that guy. so he is a fitting judge. This entire thing really is not too bad an idea, but I certainly see a side of it that is pretty goofy. Hey, commit a serious crime and then go sing in jail, Good grief.

Amber

Wow! what fun they are having. Can we take a minute from our make believe world and remember these men are criminals and are in jail for a reason. I wonder if the victims are having as much fun....

Virginia

Get Simon Asshole Cowell to go jusge down there, When he comes off with his first class , asshole , hateful remarks and critiques, maybe some hardened criminals would flat kill him. The we wouldnt have to put with that ass on TV or anywhere else any longer.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments