"Christmas Story" Director Killed in L.A. Car Crash

4/4/2007 4:45 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Bob ClarkBob Clark, director of "A Christmas Story" and a producer of the "Porky's" films, was killed today on California's famed Pacific Coast Highway when his car was hit head-on by an SUV driven by a man who was later arrested for being under the influence of alcohol.

Clark's son, 22-year-old Ariel Hanrath-Clark, was riding with his father and was also killed in the crash.

TMZ has learned that police arrested 24-year-old Hector Velazquez-Nava, the driver of the SUV, on suspicion of gross vehicular manslaughter, and that Velazquez-Nava will be booked once he is released from the hospital. We're told that Velazques-Nava had a female passenger whose status is unknown at this time.

According to police, the Clarks were riding in a silver Infiniti around 2.30 AM Wednesday on PCH in Pacific Palisades. The Infiniti was badly damaged in the crash, and the SUV's front end was mangled.

Harvey's a douche

Huh, with a name like Hector Velazquez-Nava, I'm sure he was a fully licensed, fully insured, citizen of this country. Or not at all.

Glenn Shadix

Bob was such an original. I co-starred in his follow-up to A Christmas Story ("A Summer Story" aka "It Runs In The Family" in 1993. A very sad lost of a very dear man. Alcohol is the deadliest drug consumed in this country. God bless you Bob and your son. Those who knew you will always be grateful for the precious time we spent with you and your rare, eccentric and loving talent and kind spirit.

love, Glenn Shadix

Madeline

My sincere sympathies to the Clark family. A Christmas Story is one of my favoite movies.

Neighbor

HIS MOVIES SUCKED AND WERE STUPID. WHTEVER GET OVER IT !!!!

antiAMERICAN IDOL

ACTUALLY HECTOR'S LAWN MOWER IS WHAT KILLED THEM. (no insurance, either)

So Many Uneducated Posts & Hypocrites

My Thoughts and prayers are with the Clark Family. What a tragedy to loose the father and son. I hope justice will be served for the family.
God Bless your family........

Maria

Damn drunks.

Sandy Underpants

This drunk driver gives us good drunk driver's a bad name. Please realize that I drive even better when I'm plastered.

Hal

I'm very sorry to hear that. My sympathy to his family.

Vader

My guess KC is that your cousin's husband was either A) Legal or B) you're making this story up.

cerealkiller1719

You know in some countries the first offense of drunk driving carries a death sentence. No jail time, no nothing they just kill you. I bet if we in america manned up a little and did this you would see so much tradgedy due to these drunk idiots on the road. I dont for one second believe anyone would miss them.

As for Bob his son I will greatly miss them. Bob brought us a lot of laughs and good scares with his films and sadly he is gone. God luck in the next life Bob.

sheeple

I am willing to bet the guy wasn't a "legal" citizen in this country and has no insurance. To add insult to injury. I will just come out and say it.....I know some of you are thinking it. I work in insurance, and sadly, this is not an uncommon occurence.

Julie

My family and children have gotten so much joy from A christmas Story i am so sorry that this terrible thing to happened to Mr Clark and his son..my deepest sympathy

Sue

That is just horrible my sympathy goes out to teh family with my prayers also

Chaos

I am so sorry.

My daughters father was also killed by a drunk driver when she was 4.

Will people never learn to JUST CALL A CAB.