"Malcolm" Star Sues Over Moldy Home

4/11/2007 7:45 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Justin Berfield, best known for playing Reese on "Malcolm in the Middle," is suing Shell Burton Construction over what he says was faulty work the company did on his Studio City home.
Justin Berfield
In a lawsuit filed in the Los Angeles Superior Court last October, Berfield alleges that when he went to sell the house, he learned it was infested with mold as a result of indoor planters Shell Burton had installed, and a shoddy remodel Berfield had commissioned from the contractor. Though not alleged in the suit, a source close to the case tells TMZ that Berfield says he was treated by doctors for respiratory problems he suffered while living in the home.

The home itself has a famous ownership history. Shell Burton Construction purchased it from actor George Clooney and then later sold it to "My Name is Earl" actress Jamie Pressly, before Berfield purchased it in 2004.

Berfield is suing for negligence, breach of warranty and breach of contract, and is asking for damages in excess of $1 million.

Shell Burton had no comment.

antiAMERICAN IDOL

IMUS HAD IT COMING !

Stars are Blind, as is Justice

Wow. I hope his health problems are done. That kind of mold can even cause problems with the brain. I loved Malcolm in the Middle, so I hope Justin is okay!!!!

TeesMyBody.com T-Shirts

Poor kid. He needs to send over his TV mom to talk to that contractor.

Bob Hasko
www.Ponekeys.com

val

FRESH CUT WOOD OFTEN HAS MOLD. MOST MOLD IS NOT DANGEROUS. THIS GUY WANTS $$$$$

advice to the first comment number 1.... GO AFTER AL SHARPTON FOR THE TUANA BRAWLEY SCANDAL WHERE HE LIED ABOUT A RAPE AND RUINED A GUYS LIFE WHERE HE LOST HIS JOB, HIS WIFE, HIS FAMILY AND WENT TO JAIL FOR A RAPE THAT WAS A LIE ... THAT WRITER IS A MORON AND PREJUDICED. IMUS IS A SHOCK JOCK WHO LIKE THE RAPPERS AND ALL OF THEM WHO SHOULDN'T BE ON THE AIR IS NOT A PRJUDICED MAN AT ALL .. JUST A JERK LIKE ALL OF THEM AND NOT AS BAD AS THE FREAK WHO WROTE THE FIRST COMMENT NUMBER 1 .. THAT PERSON IS A SICKO WHO SHOULD BE ON THE RAPPERS AND FIRST ON SHARPTON who are not Reverends but non taxable haters. How do you want to penalize Sharpton for ruining that man's life who never raped Tuana Brawley at all .. his life is ruined .. sent Al to Jail

Amy

That just sucks having health problems in a house caused by mold is no fun at all

Kristen

VAL - Obviously you know nothing. Mold is VERY dangerous and can cause numerous physical problems, such as wheezing, asthma, and even death. Any doctor can tell you of the serious side effects of mold being in a house. Why would someone who has millions of dollars sue for something that you claim is fake? Get a grip.

oh my

Val ur are such a freakin moron.. Mold is very dagerous and kill you very slowly and you wont know the problem.. you need help if you dont know that. I hope you are not in the medical profession.

Leslie

Val you are a moron. modl is serious business. and if anyone knows anything they know that he owns three companies with 4 partners and the jason dude is CFO of two of them including his one talked about in the LA times called JB Real Estate. you are all such rumor mongers!

OCredtrump

I agree, what is all this non-sense about? I actually feel bad for the guy. He was probably taken advantage of by some sleezy contractor who saw a kid with cash. Gay ,Straight, Black or White it sucks for anyone. I think its rude to talk about people who can't get online and defend themselves. I'm especially not going to talk about anyone who is in a lawsuit, they might sue me. He doesnt seem afraid of it. Anyway I said my peace on the subject and think it should be left alone. He hasnt hurt anyone, why hurt him?

Mrs. Watkins

WOW. That bites. Black Mold is very toxic and very dangerous. Black Mold has been around forever. Shoot the Bible even talks about Black Mold. Don't you wonder why so many people suffer from asthma/chronic sinus infections/allergies? Yup, Mold and air pollution are the two biggest factors in why so many more people suffer.

VAL, is it possible that you can recall those hurricanes that went thru the south last year? Most of those houses had Black Mold in them and that is why they were not able to live in their own homes. Duh. Take a moment and use a search engine. Educate yourself, it could enrich your life.

me

IMUS WAS RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and I miss that show!

me

# 3 this guy has money--and mold is dangerous he buys and sells houses for a profit

val

SOME MOLD IS NOT DANGEROUS AND THERE IS LITTLE THAT IS TOXIC .. MOLD IS IN NEW WOOD FRESHLY CUT. YOU HAVE MOLD WHERE YOU ARE .. ALL OF YOU ... YOU THINK YOU DON'T .. BUT YOU DO .. COUNT ON IT

concerned citizen

Did he hire an inpector before purchasing it. If not, why? That's what smart people do. Was this his first purchase? Did he not have anyone to advise him like maybe Parents or Manager.

Word to the wise. Never go by what someone else says. Always do your own investigation into a property for your protection.

Well I hope he will be okay. Mold exposure is a very serious problem and can have longterm harmful affects on your health.

adrlau

WHAT IMUS SAID WASN'T NICE I AGREE, BUT HE'S A SHOCK JOCK & AN OLD ONE AT THAT......I DON'T TAKE ANYTHING HE SAYS SERIOUSLY.....LISTEN TO HIS WORDS & IT'S LIKE A 5TH GRADER TALKING. JUST TAKE HIM OFF THE AIR....END OF DISCUSSION.... ON THE OTHER HAND, WHY DIDN'T THEY STAND UP & APOLOGIZE TO THE DUKE LACROSSE TEAM (JESSE JACKSON & AL SHARPTON) WHEN THEY CAME HERE TO NC & JUMPED ON THE BANDWAGON & STIRRED UP ALL THE PEOPLE HERE??????? WHY BECAUSE THEY'RE RACISTS....LIKE MOST OF THE COUNTRY, BE IT AGAINST BLACKS OR WHITES. IT WON'T EVER CHANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU TALK ABOUT IT. MOST OF THIS COUNTRYS BLACKS JUMPED RIGHT IN THERE & CONVICTED THOSE 3 BOYS,(BEFORE THEY EVEN MADE IT TO COURT) INCLUDING OUR NEWSPAPERS & MEDIA, WHY????? BECAUSE THEY'RE RACIST, JUST LIKE A LOT OF BLACKS & WHITES, I HOPE THOSE BOYS SUE THE ASS OFF OF THE PROSECUTER, THE STRIPPER(EXOTIC DANCER, IS WHAT OUR NEWSPAPERS CALLED HER)& WHOEVER ELSE WITHHELD EVIDENCE...... & WHAT THOSE BOYS HAD TO ENDURE....NOTICE HOW AS SOON AS OUR AG'S OFFICE DROPPED ALL CHARGES, THE MEDIA NAMED HER & SHOWED HER FACE, NOT A VICTIM ANYMORE, HAVE THE TABLES TURNED?????? AND I MIGHT ADD, SHE PULLED THIS A FEW YRS BACK......TO TOP IT ALL OFF, SHE HAD A BABY, RIGHT WHEN THE CASE (LACROSSE) WAS GOING TO COURT........... SO I SAY GO AFTER HER BOYS. REGARDLESS IF THEY'RE RICH, I FOR ONE SAY THE JUSTICE IN THIS CASE WON OUT, BUT THOSE 3 BOYS WILL CARRY THIS AROUND FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES, ALL BECAUSE OF 1 GIRLS WORDS, THAT CAN'T BE TAKEN BACK.........AND I DO BELIEVE SHE CHECKED THAT TEAM OUT & FOUND OUT MOST OF THOSE BOYS CAME FROM WEALTHY FAMILIES, & PROBABLY EVEN PLANNED THIS OUT WITH EITHER THE OTHER DANCER OR HER BOYFRIEND(PIMP)....AND I DO BELIEVE THE OTHER DANCER HAD 2ND THOUGHTS.......SO I SAY GOOD FOR HER, BUT THAT OTHER GIRL, I HAVE NOTHING GOOD TO SAY ABOUT HER & NO RESPECT.... DID SHE EVEN APOLOGIZE FOR THE GRIEVOUS OFFENSE ABOUT THE 3 BOYS?????????NO BECAUSE SHE'S RACIST ALSO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments