The Dirt on the Dish

4/14/2007 4:06 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Tom and KatieSometimes the lies of supermarket tabs are so good, they become reality.

That's the word from Hal Lifson, a longtime hack for the National Enquirer, Star, and a slew of other tabs. He's writing a new behind-the-scenes tell-all on tabloid life titled, "Sources Say: The Ugly Truth Behind America's Tabloid Business."

"Many stories have a kernel of truth," Lifson tells the NY Post, "...but they have to be taken further." Some of Lifson's fables? He once concocted a story for Celebrity Living mag, saying that Jessica Simpson and Jennifer Aniston were having frequent slumber parties, saying that Aniston had given Simpson the nickname of "Gidget," and the pair had started watching old "Gidget" surf movies together. Perhaps inspired by Lifson's story, Jess' dad, Joe, tried to acquire the rights to "Gidget" as a project for his daughter.

Lifson says the key to creating a great tabloid story is writing something with big names, and little controversy. Take the Tom Cruise "Bozo the Clown" incident, which ran in the Globe.

"One trick to concocting stories is to make them "nice" and relatively inoffensive so the celebs won't beef," explains Lifson. "[I came up a story that ] Tom plays Bozo for [his baby] Suri, and that it caused a problem because Katie Holmes is scared of clowns. The headline in the Globe was, 'Tom and Katie's Battle Over Bozo.' I said that Tom tapped into the innocent, pure image of Bozo. It wasn't a mean story, it wasn't ugly. Do you think Tom ever complained?"

Britney Spears Photos

It figures, I guess!

Saint Judas

I don't know which is the more pathetic. Those that write the lies or those that believe the lies. My dad taught me that a lie is as good as the truth if you can get someone to believe it.

shirliana

#2 - I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU. THIS MARRIAGE WILL NOT LAST.,.. HE HAS SO MUCH CONTROL OF KATIE HOLMES AND I AM SURE SHE DOES NOT LIKE IT AT ALL. THAT 'S WHY SHE IS HAPPY WITH SURI AND I HEARD THAT TOM CRUISE WANTED ANOTHER BABY ABD KATIE REFUSED.. (KUDOS TO YOU KATIE)... EVERYONE IN MY STATE STATES THAT KATIE WILL WALK OUT ON HIM... I AM SURE HE HAS THIS LITTLE MACHINE THAT THEY INSTALLED UNDER THE CAR THAT SHE DRIVES AND GOES INTO HIS COMPUTER TO WATCH EVERY STEP SHE TAKES... WOW.. I WAS MARRIED WITH A MAN LIKE THAT AND LET ME TELL YOU GOT DIVORCED AND WALKED AWAY INA MATTER OF 6 MONTHS...HE WAS TRACKING ALL MY STEPS... THAT'S CALLLED ** STALKING***..KATIE GOT HERSELF INTO A REAL *************MESS****************, KATE PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT HAVE ANOTHER BABY WITH THIS SICK MAN...

Funny Answers

I believe that this person is telling the truth. Star/Globe/InTouch and a couple other magazines that I buy, (which are for entertainment only, I don't believe them, but they do make a good laugh) are all angry that Brad/Angelina sell first to People, so Life and Style promisted to make them pay, and the last four weeks the most horrible stories have come out, 9/10th made up. TMZ will delete your comments if they don't like them. I have had three deleted. I don't use cuse word, etc. but it hits them too close to home to let it stay on the page. Enjoy them for entertainment, knowing it is fake, but with all the bad things going on in this world, it is a diversion. No one in their right minds believe them, so enjoy!!!!

Piano

I think it is so funny how some poeple on this thread uses the I heard this I heard that to talk about a couple you don't know about. Who is to say what is going on in their lives but them. I'm so sick of everyone trashing this couple because they heard this and they heard that. Where did you hear it on TV or magazine because they are considered gossip as well. Leave them alone what does their lives have to do with us. Gee people move on

Saint Judas

Sorry Lulu, I don't believe that TMZ even reads what is posted here, much less takes the trouble to delete them. At first I thought the same thing because I couldn't find anything that I had posted. Now that I have learned a little more I think it would be pretty hard for them to delete anything. Wouldn't it leave an empty number or would it change all the numbers that had come after it? I don't think so. The only thing they care about is whether your e-mail address is active.

Saint Judas

Now that I think about it Lulu, if they have the power to edit the comments then they could just cut and paste another message where yours had been so I guess it might possible. That is why I always write the number down on any of my messages.

Dawn

Lulu isn't kidding i made a negative comment about ashley simpson and her new boyfriend and they posted it then hour later it was gone they do don't forget tmz is owned by AOL which is own bye time warner that runs alot of these studio's. See how long this post stays

Funny Answers

Judas you may be right. Yesterday I made a comment on Imus, which was number 34, then later that night, it was not there. Maybe a slip up, because I went back to look again, because your more than likely right about them not reading what is said. Thanks, Lulu

Madeleine

I didn't post about this couple, I posted about the Globe newspaper, people love to Gossip, that's our nature I guess, that's why tabloids do so well, if they don't cross the line and I think the Globe did. As for Tom and Katie, they seem to be doing alright, she looks like a million bucks since she married him, she looks a little bored sometimes but who isn't bored sometimes, especially at a kids soccer game. I honestly think if Kate were that unhappy she would just leave him, why not? I think the tabloids cause them more trouble than anything else. Nicolle Kidman certainly isn't bothering them, she has remarried and moved on and still on friendly terms with both of them because of the children. I'm sure Tom can be controlling, I don't think Katie would put up with it if she couldn't handle it. I wish them the best, the baby is certainly cute.

blabs

Earlier today I watched Cruise's flick "A Few Good Men" and was amazed at what a lousy job he did in the scene where he was "supposed" to be drunk......in many other parts of the film his character was very unlikable, snotty and overbearing. And his acting is why people like him??? Jeez, if his acting roles come across that way, what has Katie got herself into for real?

sachet

Some of the outrageous LIES these rags print about Brad and Angie are just down right libelous. Thes rags make up nasty stories. I wish Brad and Angie would sue them once and for all.

The worse offenders who print out and out LIES about Brad and Angie are
1. Life 'n Style
2. In Touch
3. National Enquirer
4. US Magazin
5. OK
Stop buying that crap, STOP PAYING THESE LYING LIBELOUS RAGS, SAVE YOUR
MONEY. Just think of the money you could save by not buying that crap.

Mrs. Watkins

Gee Piano..Thanks for the advice. But frankly, a lot of us like TMZ and have fun trashing on weird celebs like Cruise. Why don't you just move on and let the rest of us have fun...deal?

What people spend their money on to read for their own entertainment is none of your business Dirty Denise.

I remember in middle school we girls would get together and buy every tabloid we could afford. Then sit and read them together, laughing and expounding on the stories. What good fun!

Amanda

I feel sorry for the celebrities who have vicious and filthy lies printed about them in the scummy tabloids. There's no point in sueing, cos that just plays into the tabloids' hands in that it gets them more publicity. Even if they win, like Tom Cruise did a while ago, it doesn't really help. Once the story is out, the damage is done.

I don't watch Idol any more, but I feel for that young Sanjaya guy. From the way he is being savaged you would think he was an evil criminal or something!

Miapocca

ahahha that was hilarious....must of the gosspi mags blow everthing out of propotion, but if you note it always begins with some minute truth or reality

The really major offensive stories are true to some extent, becaus eyou might get sued, you hav eto have your back covered before you print a major story...why do you think noone has printed on cruises toy boys ahhahah he has enoug money and a scn mentality of suing people till they go bankrupt..you just have to navigate any kind of news with you thinking cap on

There is always a little truth somewhere

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments