Simon Says "I Wasn't Listening. I'm Horrified!"

4/18/2007 2:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Simon CowellTMZ spoke with Simon Cowell this morning about last night's incident on "A.I.," in which Cowell sarcastically rolled his eyes after contestant Chris Richardson offered condolences to the families of the victims at Virginia Tech.

Cowell told TMZ, "I couldn't hear what Chris had said. I was talking to Paula. My reaction (rolling my eyes) was to what he had said previously, that singing nasally is a form of singing."

It's true, when the judges are off camera they frequently jab at each other as the singers do their thing.

Simon told TMZ he was shocked when he saw what went down: "When I watched the show back, I was horrified."

IFLYNonStop

Chris made the comments at a TOTALLY INAPPROPRIATE TIME! Everyone feels saddened about this horrible tragedy, but there's a time and place for everything. Fox and the producers of American Idol should have allowed Ryan to lead everyone in a collective moment of silence to show their respects. That would have been much more appropriate.

DaMama

LEAVE SIMON ALONE! The comments were directed at Chris Richardson's horrible performance, NOT Virginia Tech. Anyone who thinks he made that comment against VT is stupid. Give me a break. Simon may be a jerk sometimes when it comes to judging, but he's not heartless. Grow up people!!!!

Naz

Wat r u all nuts!!!!!!! He totaly wasn't rolling his eyes about the vt incident. He's not that much of a meanie. Its already so bad, y is aol trying to make feelings worse? But simon should be a little more careful just in case some idiot misunderstands it.

IFLYNonStop

I think Chris made have just sped up the process of having himself kicked off. (a little earlier than expected.) I agree that he was an ass to make the comment when he did. Simon was absolutely right on when he was making the point about the nasal sound Chris makes. Chris did not get any additional sympathy votes by making the comment when he did.

Patti

Simon just tells it like it is. Just listen to the contestants! I could care less who wins....but after watching and listening, I always agree with Simon. He tells the truth! HEY! Some of these guys just don't "have it"! Some do....as far as I am concerned, he just tells the truth....after all, the truth always comes out on top! Go SIMON! Patti :)

Patti

IFLYNonStop

It's amazing that so many people in the studio audience are totally clueless about what it takes to make a great singer. When Simon makes his comments, the audience shows their ignorance by booing him. Most of the audience members are so stupid they wouldn't even make good contestants on "Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader"!! SIMON ROCKS!!

Mark

Send him back to Europe, he over here just to make more millions off the Idol singers. Of course he is part of what makes people watch Idol.

realitysetsin

I swear you guys and the media will turn a frog into a pig and make something out of nothing!!! When will it stop? I can not believe this, leave Simon A-lone! NOW!! Haven't you guys ever been in a group or a meeting and tuned out to your own conversation only later to turn back into the whole group conversation and be like what? That's all that happened. He didn't even know what the guy was talking about. Ya'll are all idiots including the media. Get off your honkers and let Simon be him. I like him like that anyways . It's kind of sexy.

realitysetsin

I love Simon. Simon shake all of those nasty hater off. That ain't nobody!!!

kennykdt

I think #14 has it right.

Gia

Good Lord people he was not rolling his eyes at the VT shootings. Simon has a sharp wit but he has proven himself to be a true humanitarian. (As opposed to the fake one-Madonna) Give him a break already. You simple-minded people scare me with your willingness to believe anything you see on T.V.

QueenBee

Leave Simon alone, He would never be so cruel as far as that goes. Some people just like to pick at Simon. Because he is such a good looking Mannn, they are just jealous.

shirliana

SIMON IS THE MOST OBNOCIOUS MANI EVER MET.. ROLLING HIS EYES - GOD HE IS UGLY... THEY WERE RIGHT... WEAR A BRA. U LOOK SO DARN GAY WHEN U WEAR THOSE TIGHT SIRTS... YOUR GIRLFRIEND SHUD SAY SOMETHING.,, I NEVER WATCH HER SINCE HER VOICE ** ANNOYS THE HELL OUT OF ME*****

koalamom1957

I didnt take it as he was rolling it eyes at the comment but that either Chris brought this up
as being opportunistic or at his arguing that nasaly is a form of singing. Simon can be cruel but not a monster....and he did make a comment later on it the show didnt he expresses the judges sympathy as well?