Simon Says "I Wasn't Listening. I'm Horrified!"

4/18/2007 2:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Simon CowellTMZ spoke with Simon Cowell this morning about last night's incident on "A.I.," in which Cowell sarcastically rolled his eyes after contestant Chris Richardson offered condolences to the families of the victims at Virginia Tech.

Cowell told TMZ, "I couldn't hear what Chris had said. I was talking to Paula. My reaction (rolling my eyes) was to what he had said previously, that singing nasally is a form of singing."

It's true, when the judges are off camera they frequently jab at each other as the singers do their thing.

Simon told TMZ he was shocked when he saw what went down: "When I watched the show back, I was horrified."

uniformsformilitarypersonnelonly

If he knows the difference between right and wrong and if he's honest with himself, he'll apologize on A.I. tonight in front of America. STUPID U.K., GREEN CARD, NIPPLE SHIRT WEARING, BUTT BLOWING, COMPLETELY TALENTLESS.........................

IGNORAMOUS !!!!!

Caroline

I rolled my eyes, and I'll admit it. What an awkward and lame thing to do, using that after your horrible performance to gain votes. I'm sure the people of VTech are not watching you perform on AI and waiting for you to send your condolences.

GINA

your an idiot mandy, you obviously were not watching

uniformsformilitarypersonnelonly

HE KNOWS WHAT HE DID.

Vote out Sanjaya!

Listen.... the timing was clearly horrible. Simon can be a jackass, but I don't think he's that big of a jackass.

uniformsformilitarypersonnelonly

GINA, PERHAPS YOU ARE THE ONE WHO WAS NOT WATCHING !

uniformsformilitarypersonnelonly

Caroline, Chris has a HEART. ... unlike you and Simon

lsismor

Simon's excuses makes no sense. If he was rolling his eyes at Paula he would have looked away from her as he did it and not at her since he would have been looking at her if they were conversing. Also she's shaking her head, agreeing with Chris's comments so his excuse about "not hearing it" doesn't work either. If he's at all a decent human being, he'll apologize and stop making excuses. His actions were totally disrespectful.

Caroline

Oh please, V.T.
You can say whatever you want. It doesn't mean you have a heart and are a frickin' hero. Grow up.

RING AROUND THE ROSY

I saw it. Simon was reacting to Chris's idiotic nasal comment, i was eyerolling too. Chris threw his condolences in there for the sympathy vote.. ugh
GO JORDIN.. WTG SIMON, just keeping it real folks.

she smiled

I believe that Simon was rolling his eyes at Chris using the VT shout out as way of trying to get sympathy votes. Remember earlier in the season Simon mocked one of the contestants (was it Sanjaya?) for saying it was his grandfather's birithday. I think it was the same reaction.

The only other thing that would make sense to me would be that Simon was recoiling from the "nasally" defense and that the crowd was so loud, he could not hear what Chris was saying. I have been to shows that are taped for tv and sometines what can clearly be heard on camera cannot be heard by the audience due to audience noise.

Didn't Ryan almost cut Chris off right before the shout out? I think Ryan thought that Chris was going to continue to defend his "nasally" style. That whole piece was akward. I'm hoping Chris goes home tonight. I think it's time.

uniformsformilitarypersonnelonly

Caroline, I do not wish to do battle of the wits with you. I would win.

MJP

Personally, I thought Simon was eye rolling about the singing comment, not the comments about the tragedy at VT....for that matter, I would guess he is doing alot of eye rolling, because this season of AI is boring. I cannot believe they couldn't find any better talent. Of course there are a couple who are "okay" but that is about it. I know there are some people who don't like Simon, but he pretty much tells it like it is. I can imagine his reaction if Sanjaya doesn't get cut tonite.

jr

It was obvious Simon wasn't listening to what was said. He was reeling over the nasal singing comments and talking to Paula.

she smiled

Oh yeah, and the comment that Simon did make about VT last night were the most disingeniuos ever spoken. Simon, next time leave the sentiment to Ryan. (That's pretty bad when Ryan is more "for real" than you are, Simon.)