Simon Says "I Wasn't Listening. I'm Horrified!"

4/18/2007 2:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Simon CowellTMZ spoke with Simon Cowell this morning about last night's incident on "A.I.," in which Cowell sarcastically rolled his eyes after contestant Chris Richardson offered condolences to the families of the victims at Virginia Tech.

Cowell told TMZ, "I couldn't hear what Chris had said. I was talking to Paula. My reaction (rolling my eyes) was to what he had said previously, that singing nasally is a form of singing."

It's true, when the judges are off camera they frequently jab at each other as the singers do their thing.

Simon told TMZ he was shocked when he saw what went down: "When I watched the show back, I was horrified."

Cynthia

Now, really, why would Simon, knowing he's on national television, roll his eyes about Virginia Tech? C'mon people - get REAL - the guy hasn't gotten rich and famous just to blow it all with an eye roll.

For those of you who actually think that Ryan and Simon hate each other - I have two words for you - PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING. None of that conflict is real, either. The only reason they jab at each other is because it drives up ratings, just like the love/hate relationship between Simon and Paula gets people talking. It is evident to anyone with a brain that it's a classic story: Simon is the bad guy, Paula is the princess, Ryan is the referree and Randy is the hero! It's all done for ratings, people!

I LOVE SIMON. Whenever I make comments about a singer, he usually echoes them during the judging. The man is a good judge of talent. After all, all of you out there, how many millions of records have YOU sold?

That's what I thought. HATERS!

Mike Gordon

Simon was simply referring to Chris' comments on singing nasally. It is that simple, end of story. But no, you always have the negative naysayers and the media who are often too quick to condemn. The people in this country have a habit to overreact at something and blow it way out of propotion.

And as for J.... Don't watch it if you don't like Simon. It's as simple as turning off your TV or switching to another channel. We still have that choice.

Hignerfrack

#8 are you high? 15mins. of fame? He's been on air for 5yrs & he's larger than life in Britian. His 15mins. of fame has turned into a life time of fame. Get over it people Simon is who he is & he doesn't apologize for it. I for one thought that he was making a face over Chris' condolences, but after hearing Simon's reason I believe him.

me

He clearly reacted to what Chris said------everyone is trying to create more controversy as usual
Leave Simon alone-

Hokie fan

Simon, the UK is ready for you to come back. Virginians will help pay the way.

Go Hokies

me

MANDY # 11 You obviously didnt watch the show--------your wrong!!!!!

me

and 12 and 13 too geesh you like listening to yourselves dont you?

AD Jones

"He needs to apologize to the student body and faculty of Virginia Tech, the American people and Chris for the response to his comment. I for one WILL NEVER watch Idol again if he remains on this show and displays no remorse for his behavior."

Get a life please, #11. You sound like a retard.

Lori

Chris was not tacky. This is a personal issue for him and he had every right to make a "shout out" Furthermore, his friends at VA tech would have wondered why he had not done so as would all his fans in VA. When you are from the place where something like that has happened and you have a public platform like that, where Ryan always lets everyone else have a word of whatever they want to say, you look like a jerk or someone from VA who doesn't care if you DON'T say something.

I suppose he is criticized EITHER WAY, damned if you do, damned if you don't, so in my opinion, he is getting criticized for all the RIGHT reasons. Good for Chris, he showed strength of character.

come on!

#52 YOU ARE A TOTAL F#%* HEAD AND OBVIOUSLY AN INSENSITVE ASS FACE.
THE NAME OF THE SHOW IS AMERICAN IDOL, NOT AMERICAN ASSHOLE!
IF THAT IS THE WAY YOU FEEL ABOUT CHRIS'S COMMENTS, THEN MAYBE YOU SHOULD BE PISSED THAT AMERICAN IDOL IS RAISING MONEY FOR CHARITY.
SO F#%* OFF!

tom jones

The comments above on this screen (concerning Simon) using F words etc should not be included on a 'public screen'. This is in bad taste especially since the writer lacked the ability to use good language and grammar.

Brenda Burke

For crying out loud!!!! Simon was NOT reacting to the comment regarding the VT incident. As a matter of fact, as intent as I was during the exchange between Chris and Ryan, I only heard his comment on 'his nasal' tone. Please folks, give Simon a break. His comments are right on target. And 100% of the time, he knows what he is talking about.

Hang in there Simon, you're the best!

Brenda B

lmg

I don't know where all you people against Simon Cowell are at in life but if you really looked at AI, you would know that Simon is the only one of the judges that is truthful and doesn't sugarcoat like Paula or beat around the bush like Randy can sometimes. Simon can be harsh sometimes but this is a SINGING contest and the BEST SINGER should win, not the best hairdo (Sanjaya), or the best dreamy eyes (Chris), or the best bubbly personality (Jordan) although personality does come into play for entertaining everyone. I don't always totally agree with Simon but for the most part he is the most honest about what he is hearing up there on stage. So you all that don't like him, then tough, don't watch AI and get a life.

Lloyd

I did not see it because I do not watch any show with phony brits on
it with that phony accent..
Go back to England..

Mike

Extremely doubtful a man like Simon would not be appalled by the tragedy just like the rest of us - it's hard to believe that anyone would think any differently or even use it to create a stir.